Joffrey Lupul

by Tim from Toronto

My Hero, Joffrey Lupul is a 28 year old, Canadian born hockey player. He is tied for fourth in points in the NHL with 36 and plays in the hockey crazed city of Toronto for the Maple Leafs. Picked 7th overall in the 2002 draft by the Anaheim Ducks, he got 53 points in his second season with the club. You may think it is all systems go for Joffrey, but most people do not know the long and winding road that he took to where he is now. Joffrey Lupul had been traded four times before ending up in Toronto.  He missed almost a year due to a back injury and serious blood infection, and then had a tough time proving that he could perform and deserve a spot on the team. Lupul is my hero because of his inspiring story and character.

Lupul was born on September 23, 1983 in Fort Saskatchewan in Alberta. Lupul began his career in Saskatchewan by playing in the ABHL and the AMHL. From 1998 to 2000 he amassed 163 points in 70 games in these leagues. He then played two years in Medicine ­Hat before getting drafted 7th overall in the 2002 draft by the Anaheim Ducks. Lupul started his professional career with the Anaheim Ducks in 2003. Since then, Lupul has played in Edmonton, Philadelphia, and now he plays in Toronto. His best season was played in Anaheim in his sophomore season accumulating 53 points in 81 games. In seven seasons in the league, playing 482 games, Lupul got 292 points, which came from 141 goals and 151 assists. Joffrey loves to play hockey and to get paid to play hockey, for him, was a dream. 

Life was great for Joffrey, until it decided to take a detour. In November of his 2009/2010 season with the Anaheim Ducks, he suffered a lower back injury. This injury led to two back surgeries, which then caused a mysterious blood infection. This injury caused Joffrey to be out for 362 days or 87 games. Not only had he been out for so long, but he had also lost 40 pounds.  This didn't allow him to have the strongest comeback and he couldn't make the impact he wanted to make in Anaheim. This was tough for him because it made it hard for him to prove that he deserved a spot on the roster. 26 games after his first after injury, Joffrey was included in a trade, which sent him to Toronto to play for the Maple Leafs. Since the trade, Lupul has produced 54 points in 61 games, 36 of these points coming from this season while only playing 33 games. This is the impact that Lupul wanted to have upon his return. During his absence from the game, there were many moments when he thought that he might have played his last game already. When he returned, he conditioned his body, making it work harder every day; to make the most out of his return, and to play the sport he loves at his best. Lupul's story is one of the few, and it shows his passion for the sport. What makes Lupul's story so inspirational to me, is that even when he was down and out, he never gave up. Then once he came back, he made it his goal to make an impact, this is very clear to this day. Lupul's experience with injury is just one reason why he is my hero.

Another reason why Joffrey Lupul is my hero is because he plays for the Maple Leafs. Not only is hockey the sport I love to play and watch, but the Maple Leafs are my favourite team in the NHL. The first time I heard of Joffrey Lupul was when he was traded to the Maple Leafs. Of course, if he hadn't been out due to injury, I bet he would have definitely been a well-known name around the league. Lupul got traded to Toronto from Anaheim, which included him and Jake Gardiner, for Francois Beauchemin. As a Maple Leaf, I really got to know Lupul as a player, and as a person. When I heard the story of his injury, it was really compelling. He made a huge impact on the Leaf lineup. The Toronto Maple Leafs are one of the best looking teams coming off from last year, and Lupul was a great contributing factor with 36 points in 33 games. Also coming off his comeback, he is definitely focused on others rather than on himself. "At the end of the day, it's all about winning games. If I end the year with however many points, in the top 20 of the league, and we're not in the playoffs, what have you really accomplished?" This quote from Lupul proves that he would trade away his points any day for a win in the record book for the Maple Leafs. The character of Joffrey is the other reason why he is my hero, because he motivates me to make the most out of what I get.

Overall, Lupul is a great character and has an inspiring story, making him my hero. He also makes a great addition to the Toronto Maple Leaf lineup, and I won't be surprised if the Maple Leafs make it to the playoffs this year. Joffrey Lupul is my hero, and because of him, I am a better person for myself, and I am also a better person for others.

The MY HERO Gallery - For the Gallery Page dedicated to Joffrey Lupul, also by Tim.