First Lady Michelle Obama

by Siena from Northridge

Michelle Obama in the White House. (Wikipedia.com)

One main characteristic a hero must have is kindness. They care about other people. Another trait is perseverance. That means that a hero has to keep trying to do their best. A third trait a hero must have is determination. Most heroes have determination, the will to keep going despite obstacles. My hero possesses all of these traits.

Michelle Obama with her parents and brother. (www.firstladyofstyle.blogspot.com)

Who is Michelle Obama? Most of us know her as the First Lady of the United States, but before that there was a lot more to her than just the First lady. Michelle LaVaughn Robinson Obama was born on January 17, 1964 in Chicago, Illinois. She grew up in Chicago going to the best schools in her area. Mrs. Obama went to Chicago’s first magnet high school, where she was on the Honor Roll for four years. Mrs. Obama graduated Cum Laude from Princeton University. She obtained her Juris Doctorate degree from Harvard Law School in 1988. She is the third First Lady with a post-graduate degree, and the first African-American First Lady.

The President,  First Lady and their daughters. (www.blogs.babble.com)
The President, First Lady and their daughters. (www.blogs.babble.com)

Michelle Obama met President Obama when they worked at the law firm of Sidley and Austin. They dated for awhile and got married in October 1992. After practicing law for several years Mrs. Obama worked in a few government jobs, including working as an Assistant to the Mayor of Chicago. Before the 2008 Presidential election, Mrs. Obama worked as Executive Director for Community Affairs at the University of Chicago Hospitals while Barack Obama was a U.S. Senator. Once Barack Obama became President, they moved to Washington D.C. They have two kids, Malia Ann, and Sasha.

Michelle Obama during a speaking engagement . (www.obamafoodorama.blogspot.com)

I am very impressed with Mrs. Obama. I like her fashion style, it's colorful, sophisticated and classic. In addition, I admire the projects she has been involved with. After she became First Lady, one project she started was a campaign fighting childhood obesity. She inspires me to stay fit and active. Her program “Let’s Move” encourages kids from all over the country to be active. She also makes sure kids have healthy school lunches. I try to be healthy by eating salads, fruits, veggies and lean meats. I stay away from processed foods. Another way I try to stay healthy is by being active. I like to run, play volleyball and go swimming. I just joined a local club volleyball team. I’m hoping that eating right and exercising while I am young will help me stay healthy when I am older.

Michelle Obama racing a student. (Politico.com)

Being the First Lady is an important job that requires a lot of time and commitment. Mrs. Obama cares deeply about children in communities across the United States. Combating childhood obesity is a huge undertaking. However, Mrs. Obama is not scared of a challenge. It is important to her to make sure that all children are healthy. I have faith that she will be successful.