Michael Jordan

by Alex from Toronto

Work=Reward

Michael Jeffery Jordan learned at an early age that you need to work at something if you wish to achieve your high goals. When he was a sophomore at high school, he was told that he was too short to play Varsity basketball, so he decided to play junior varsity. Here he trained hard and was able to have many high scoring games. Over the next summer he grew and trained hard enough to ensure himself a spot on his varsity team. On this varsity team, his basketball flourished and Jordan averaged a triple double in his senior year. After High school he received a basketball scholarship to the university of North Carolina. Here, he continued his high level of play, averaging over 50 percent shooting in his rookie year and he won the freshman of the year in the ACC division. After three seasons in North Carolina, the Chicago Bulls drafted him into the NBA where he became a legend in his very first season. After just over a month in the NBA he was already on the cover of Sports Illustrated under the heading “a star is born”. Throughout his NBA career, he managed to accomplish many extraordinary feats, and won multiple awards:

▪ 6× NBA Champion (1991, 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998)

▪ 5× NBA Most Valuable Player (1988, 1991–1992, 1996, 1998)

▪ 14× NBA All-Star (1985–1993, 1996–1998, 2002–2003)

▪ 6× NBA Finals MVP (1991–1993, 1996–1998)

▪ NBA Defensive Player of the Year (1988)

▪ 10× All-NBA First Team (1987–1993, 1996–1998)

▪ All-NBA Second Team (1985)

▪ 9× NBA All-Defensive First Team (1988–1993, 1996–1998)

▪ NBA Rookie of the Year (1985)

▪ NBA All-Rookie First Team (1985)

▪ 3× NBA All-Star Game MVP (1988, 1996, 1998)

▪ 2× NBA Slam Dunk Contest winner (1987–1988)

▪ 2× Gold Medal Winner in the Olympics (1984, 1992)

▪ NBA's 50th Anniversary All-Time Team

▪ NCAA Men's Basketball Champion (1982)

▪ 2× Consensus NCAA All-American First Team (1983, 1984)

▪ 1982 ACC Freshman of the Year

▪ ACC Men's Basketball Player of the Year (1984)

▪ USBWA College Player of the Year (1984)

▪ Naismith College Player of the Year (1984)

▪ John R. Wooden Award (1984)

- Adolph Rupp Trophy (1984)

It is clear from these awards that Michael was the best of the best. And to this day nobody is close to as amazing as he was. All of his life, Mike trained his heart out, and never gave up, because he believed in himself and loved the game of basketball. Jordan is my hero because not only is he the best basketball player of all time, he also showed great perseverance and determination when he was told he could not play for his varsity team, and when most people would give up and be sad and beat themselves up about not making it, Jordan trained hard and was able to make the team next year. An inspirational Jordan quote on his perseverance was when he said: “I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can't accept not trying.” And I feel that Jordan was able to accomplish what he did because of his perseverance and determination to succeed. Michael demonstrates all of the qualities of a hero; courage, sacrifice, determination, loyalty, focus, dedication, and many more. Mike wasn’t just a basketball player; he was, and still is, a legend. He is a man that will be looked up to by millions of people, not just basketball players, for many years to come, and it is easy to say that M.J. is one of the greatest athletes to ever participate in sports, and he set the tone for the best players of today such as Kobe and Lebron. He was, in essence, a success, whether in basketball or business, he seemed to excel in all of his activities. His success did not always come easy, he had to work many hard days and nights in order to get to where he is today, however to Michael it was worth it because all of the work rewarded him with a successful life. Mike inspires me to play basketball, and I am sure he will be the greatest basketball player in history, and a hero for millions, for years to come.

The MY HERO Gallery - For the Michael Jordan digital gallery page - created by Alex.