Franklin D. Roosevelt

by Griffin from Toronto

As the assault felt never ending, the noise and sight unbearable, the uncertainty of the country increasing with the decision, that would either jeopardize or strengthen the American people, seated in the inaugural office, would be a man that would change history forever. Franklin D. Roosevelt was the one responsible for directing administrations of the Nation's manpower and reserves for an international war, which would turn out to be a monumental victory for the Allies' forces in defeating Nazi Germany. While trying to get through the worst Depression that United States has ever experienced. Without these decision one could only speculate the outcome of the United States.

While trying to decide who my hero would be, I though of people that had made a difference in the world, in a positive way. While thinking about this, one man stood out for his courageous actions that led to a successful and rewarding career. Franklin D. Roosevelt is considered to be my hero. Born in 1882 in New York, he received a very good education attending Harvard University in Cambridge, and Columbia Law School located in New York. Following in the footsteps of his cousin, President Theodore Roosevelt, he entered politics where he became the Assistant Secretary of the Navy and the Governor of New York. After an accomplished political career, he topped it off by becoming The President of the United States for an impressive twelve years. He passed away on April 12, 1945 from health related causes.

Franklin D. Roosevelt had to deal with many difficult decisions through his Presidency and his political career. He had to face many challenges including the Great Depression, and enlarging the Supreme Court to overcome the Great Depression. The Great Depression started in 1929, in the United States and spread throughout the world leaving hundreds of thousands without jobs, below the poverty line, with minimal profits, and lost of opportunities. The Great Depression caused most of the banks to close because they had invested most of their client's money in the market, and when it crashed most of the banks did not have the investments to continue. When Roosevelt became President he closed all the banks and would not allow them to reopen until the economy was stable. But the decision that has established his Presidency as such a successful one would be the decision to be involved with one of the most gruesome wars in history. Even under the intense pressure of becoming a President he has performed his Presidency with integrity and honesty, which has encouraged other Presidents to do the same. He has been considered to be the guidance for the American people, and has directed them in a logical and impressive way. He is a hero of mine because; he had the bravery and courage to direct the American people in their obvious time of need, and did not stand down to terrorism. Without his courageous actions to direct the American people, America might not be considered "free" and might be under Nazi control. Thankfully he is a figure that used his power for the good rather than bad.

Franklin D. Roosevelt is such an inspiration to me because of his courageous and compassionate personality during some of the roughest times in American history. His decisions got the American people through the Great Depression, and a monumental victory in World War Two has created a legacy that will be very difficult to overcome. I am proud to be living in the Roosevelt legacy and hope that all Presidents will be as heroic as Roosevelt, and that anyone can do anything if they put their mind to it, like Franklin D. Roosevelt.

The MY HERO Gallery - For the Gallery Page dedicated to Franklin D. Roosevelt, also by Griffin.