Jackie Robinson

by Daniel from Tampico, Mexico

The Future Is Yours
Jackie Robinson giving a fine effort
Jackie Robinson giving a fine effort

For me a hero is a person who is brave and never gives up. Jackie Robinson was brave because when he was a professional baseball player there was a lot of prejudice against black people. Many white people believed that the black people could not be as good as white people were in sports, much less in baseball, because baseball is and will always be an all-American sport. Jackie Robinson never gave up and he proved them wrong because he showed the whole world that all sports, including baseball, are for everyone to play well and to enjoy.

Jackie Robinson proved to many people that white superiority wasn’t real. Jackie Robinson was brave to play In the major leagues knowing very well that even many of his teammates were against integration in baseball, but he continued with courage to do it. Many people insulted him, but he was strong enough to ignore all those words and never answer back.

Jackie Robinson was the first black person to play major league baseball, signed by Branch Rickey, president of the Brookly Dodgers. He helped the Montreal team win the Little World Series against Louisville Colonels in 1947. In 1963 he was elected to baseball’s hall of fame.

Jackie Robinson affects my life because now I will never give up in situations similar, less or more difficult than the situation Jackie Robinson contended with in his life and vocation. Now I want to be more brave, to have more perseverence, because that is the only way to accomplish the things you want to do. I will never forget Jackie Robinson. He is a hero who should never be forgotten.