Tara Lipinski

by Charlotte from Calgary

“Acting is easier than skating in a way and harder in other aspects.
In skating, you get one chance, and with acting you get to do it over and over.”
Tara Lipinski Web (I Made It)
Tara Lipinski Web (I Made It)

Tara Lipinski is an Olympic gold medalist and my hero. She is my hero because she helps me always think that no matter how hard something is, you CAN do it. Before many of her international competitions in skating she went to the local Children’s Hospital to cheer up the children in the Hospital. She never thought of winning in the competitions, she only thought of doing her job which in her case, was skating well. Tara was always trying to think of her family and friends. That’s why she is My Hero.

Tara Lipinski (I made it)
Tara Lipinski (I made it)

Her life started in Philadelphia on June 10, 1982. Her parents' names are Jack and Patricia Lipinski. When she was 2 she saw the Olympics on T.V. and only really paid attention when the medalists stepped onto the podium. At that moment she knew she wanted to be in the Olympics. She moved to Houston Texas and was sad that she had to move. Her first Christmas there was fun for her but wasn’t the same as before. She got a pony named Moonray and a saddle but she had to sell him because he was too expensive. It was hard for her family because she and her mom had to move to Delaware.

A Figure Skate (I made it)
A Figure Skate (I made it)

Her skating life started as a roller-skating life. When she was three she started to roller-skate, and her non-skating friend’s mom told her mom that she should try figure skating because even with a gold medal level there would be very limited career options. So Tara had to try figure skating. At first she was terrible but after an hour she could land an axel. After she had moved to Houston, she had to go Delaware for “Summer School” skating. Her coach there was Jeff DiGreorio. Later she was coached by Mr.Callaghan who helped her win the U.S.-Ladies Singles Champion!!!! As you know she won the Olympic gold medal, which made her achieve her dream!

Medal (I made it)
Medal (I made it)

I am glad I chose Tara because I what to be like her!! I love to skate and can relate to her because of the competitions!! Now, Tara is an actress and it's very cool that even though her skating career is over, she still has her whole life ahead of her! She is my role model and I really hope to be like her!! I really enjoyed learning about her and Tara Lipinski is an amazing skater and I hope more people will follow in the tracks of a figure skater's life!!

Tara's official website - For more about Tara Lipinski.
Wikipedia - For even more bout Tara Lipinski.
Women's History - About Tara Lipinski.
Angel Fire - Tara Lipinski's Fan-Site.
Required elements - About Tara Lipinski.