Babe Ruth

by Tristan from Webb City, MO

Babe Ruth was a unbelieably good baseball player. He was one of the best hitters of all time. People paid just to enjoy watching him swing his 52oz bat even if he struck out.(richards,54). His first season he used this new bat he smashed out one of his season highs 59 homeruns in 1921(richards,58)

Babe Ruth influenced kids to stay away from drugs, and to play baseball instead. which to me makes him a hero. I believe to be a hero, you must stand up for you beliefs and when people need you to help them you will be the first to go and help them even if you might die.

Babe believed in himself, almost more than any other person. In 1915 the Boston Redsox paid him $3,500 and he was one of the top paid players(richards,21), it was a dream come true for him. When he had his worse series ever, and went 2 for 17 and he felt like he had let down his club (richards,60).He was then so mad at himself that he said " I hate letting down the fans, Im their hero, I wont let them down agian(richards,61)

In January 1920, babe was sold to the New York Yankees. That was the biggest change in his life(richards,47),But Babe really cared about what he did and he loved his team when his manager Miller Huggins died babe was so stunned by his death that he cried for an hour which proved that he had another side to him other than a tuff baseball player(richards,72).

Babe ruth as a rookie in the minors was a pitcher,not many people know that he had 22 wins, 9 losses, for a pecentage of .709, the best reccord in the international league(richards,21). When he was fist promoted up to the major league In his first at bat he smashed a home run some 350 feet, which was unbelievable for a pitcher(richards,19).This is why i believe he is a hero. He died of cancer at the age of 53.

Creamer,Robert. BABE the Lengend Comes to Life. New York; Fireside, 1974. Richards, Kenneth. BABE RUTH People of Destiny. Chicago; Childrens press, 1966. Robinson, Ray. The Greatest Yankees of Them All. New York; G.P. Putnam Sons, 1969.