Women Transforming Media

'Goddesses,' directed by Morgan Maassen wins 2023 Sing for Hope Music Video Award

by Naomi Gledhill from MY HERO Staff

"Vahine, Heimiti, and Kohai Fierro are all professional surfers who exude the Tahitian spirit, one of strength, pride, sea-faring prowess." - Morgan Maassen, director of 'Goddesses'

153150Image taken from 'Goddesses'Morgan Maassen, with permission

Goddesses, a stunning music video by Morgan Maassen, has won the Sing for Hope Music Video Award of the 2023 MY HERO International Film Festival. It was also a finalist in the Women Transforming Media category. The film captures the beauty of surf in Tahiti and features three sisters, Vahine, Heimiti and Kohai Fierro.

About the Film

Morgan Maassen is a professional photographer and filmmaker, based in Santa Barbara, California. He started making films as a teenager and decided to pursue it professionally in his early twenties. In particular, he enjoys making films about the ocean, travel, snowboarding, and people; he is also inspired by filmmakers Terrance Malik and Tarsem Singh, and their ability to use the environment to contextualize the subjects of their films. On why he loves film, Maassen told MY HERO:

“Filmmaking is such a unique way of storytelling, the utmost mixed media in my opinion. I love combining cinematography with music, collaborating with other people or just telling visual stories from the most intimate parts of me. I think filmmaking is an incredible medium of communication, which makes it both immensely challenging and rewarding.”

153151Morgan MaassenMorgan Maassen, with permission

Goddesses was created entirely by Maassen; he directed, captured and edited all of the footage himself, before setting it to Young Girls by Princess Nokia. The song was released in 2014 as part of Princess Nokia's (Destiny Nicole Frasqueri) debut album Metallic Butterfly.

Maassen met Vahine, Heimiti and Kohai Fierro on a number of trips to Tahiti and they became fast friends. He describes the sisters as, “kind, hilarious and incredibly talented at surfing,” noting that he felt he had no choice but to make a film about them. The inspiration for the film came directly from the sisters; Maassen explains that he simply wanted to let the girls and their lifestyle do the talking. He also explained to MY HERO that he was fortunate enough to have been able to travel to and stay in Tahiti during the Covid-19 lockdown, as he had agreed to create media for the airline and tourism board. He travelled with, “open eyes and ears,” he said, “want[ing] to just experience the sisters’ bond with each other and nature.” About the start of the creation the film, Maassen said, “The concept was so infantile that I just let it evolve as I spent weeks with them on their tiny island, learning and documenting them being at home and at peace.”

153152Morgan Maassen during the shooting of 'Goddesses'Morgan Maassen, with permission

Maassen said to MY HERO of the Fierro sisters:

“Vahine, Heimiti, and Kohai are all professional surfers who exude the Tahitian spirit, one of strength, pride, sea-faring prowess.”

You can watch Goddesses, here.

Another of Maassen's music videos, Water 3, received first place in the Experimental category at the 2023 Festival. The film is a love letter from Maassen to the ocean, featuring striking footage set to Movies by Weyes Blood. 

Watch Water 3, here

About the MY HERO International Film Festival:

The My Hero Film Festival is an annual event dedicated to showcasing films that celebrate the power of the human spirit. Hosted by Eva Haller, a prominent philanthropist and advocate for social change, the festival provides a platform for filmmakers to share inspirational stories of everyday heroes. Thanks to generous sponsors, prizes are awarded to elementary, middle school, high school, college and professionals in a variety of categories including documentary, narrative, music video, animation, experimental, and more.

The festival aims to inspire audiences to recognize the heroism in their own lives and encourage positive actions in their communities. Learn more.

About the Sing for Hope Music Video Award

Sponsored by Sing for Hope, a non-profit that uplifts and inspires through music and the arts, the Sing for Hope Music Video Award recognizes songwriters, singers, musicians, producers and filmmakers that have utilized their creative power to highlight heroes from across the globe. The prize is funded by friend of MY HERO and Sing for Hope Board Member Eva Haller and will be awarded annually at the MY HERO International Film Festival's awards ceremony in November. 

About Sing for Hope:

A non-profit organization, founded in New York City in response to the events of 9/11, Sing for Hope harnesses the power of the arts to create a better world. Their creative programs bring hope, healing and connection to millions of people in hospitals, care facilities, schools, refugee camps, transit hubs, and community spaces worldwide. 

About the Women Transforming Media Category

MY HERO are proud to be partnering with The American Association of University Women, who have been empowering and investing in women, both as individuals and as a community, since 1881. They have been doing through research and education, as well as educational funding, public policy, legal advocacy, leadership development, and global outreach. You can find out more about AAUW here.

To explore the previous winners of The Eva Haller Women Transforming Media Award, click here.

Join us for the Awards Celebration on Saturday November 18th at 2pm (PST). Festival winners and their heroes will be on hand to answer questions and share their stories. Short clips from select films will be screened. Awards are given to winners at Elementary, Middle School, High School, College and Professional levels. Register HERE.