Golda Meir

by Sophie Bulkin from San Diego, California in United States

Sophie Bulkin

Through the Face of Adversity

134031This is an image of Golda Meir during her time serving as the prime minister of Israelhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Golda_Meir_03265u.jpg

Sooner or later, we all begin to look up to someone we deem heroic. However, we must use this label with caution, as it often invites the admirer to imitate their hero’s traits. In her article “Why America Worships Superheroes,” Julian Sancton highlights the importance of selecting the right hero in a world where “good has gotten more ambiguous and evil more unsettling.” Sanction's article illuminates the unfortunate reality faced by our society today--a reality in which the masses idolize individuals who do not comport with the traditional definition of the word good, due to the fact that Sancton uses words like ”good and evil.” As younger generations look with difficulty to find individuals who truly possess heroic traits, it becomes increasingly clear that modern society needs more heroes. However, the level of admiration bestowed upon these admirable people necessitates a checklist of criteria that must be satisfied before the title of hero can be granted upon them. In order to qualify as a hero, one must use their intelligence to catalyze innovation that makes the world a better place. While many people possess the intelligence to innovate, few possess the courage to both voice their ideas and put them into action. In order to break through the obstacles which inhibit innovation, one must fearlessly overcome the objections of others. A hero must unapologetically devote themselves to their passion and do what they believe is just, regardless of the repercussions. In a world where individuals are questioned for straying from the status quo, a person cannot be a hero unless they possess the qualities embodied in the hero checklist.

134032Young Golda Meirhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golda_Meir

Golda Meir used her intelligence to innovate and positively impact both Israel and the world, despite growing up in humble circumstances. Golda Meir was born the daughter of Moshe and Bluma Mabovitch in Kiev, Ukraine, on May 3, 1898. She moved with her family to Milwaukee, Wisconsin, in 1906. The Mabovitch family fled their home to escape pogroms—mob attacks—that were being carried out in her homeland of Israel. Meir credits the horrors of her childhood as the motivation behind her later commitment to establish Israel as a secure Jewish state. Throughout her upbringing, Meir experienced constant anti-semitism. As she pondered the root of people’s disdain for Judaism, Meir grew increasingly interested in Judaism’s homeland—Israel. As her interest in Israel grew deeper, Meir’s fundamental beliefs and ideals about the world developed. These beliefs and ideals are what allowed her to act without fear of judgment. In a time where women were viewed as inferior to men, Meir stood tall and used her intelligence and passion to effectuate positive change in Israel. Overall, Golda Meir possesses characteristics such as intelligence, compassion, and virtue, making her a true hero to all.

Meir’s intelligence distinguished her from the masses of people who sat by and allowed injustice to occur to Jewish immigrants. Through times of despair in Golda Meir's homeland, she represented her country by voicing her opinion and staying true to her values, while promoting her beliefs: A peer of Meir’s, a fellow Jew in a high position said, “As a kind of Mother Courage, radiating confidence and faith, the very personification of the Jews' will to survive as a people in the aftermath of the Nazi Holocaust and in the face of repeated Arab attacks..." (“Golda Meir Quotes Author of My Life”). Golda Meir, the prime minister of Israel at this time, continually persevered through Israel’s conflict with Arab attacks. She discussed and connected these attacks to the greatest Jewish tragedy of all time, the Holocaust, allowing all people to understand the magnitude of the issues Israel was facing. Meir showed her devotion to Israel through her always uplifting and light-hearted personality, while simultaneously representing an opinion that allows people from all time periods to connect with. The fact that Golda Meir was colloquially referred to as “A kind of Mother Courage” is proof of the connection between her actions and the people that looked up to her. That Meir “radiated confidence and faith” in a time of sacrifice and utter sadness showed her constant yearning for peace and harmony during a time of war with the Arabs. Through good and bad times, Golda Meir always persevered through the problems that her beloved country faced, no matter the sacrifice. In times of political instability, Meir was always a voice of courage: “We Jews have a secret weapon in our war with the Arabs; we have nowhere else to go...we must fight” (“Golda Meir Biography”). Meir’s ability to be fearless in times of war shows her strong persona and ability to persevere through times of uncertainty. Although war is never the preferred plan of action, Meir does what she believes is right for her homeland in a time of desperation. Promoting her ideals through her discussions with many influential figures shows her belief that what she is doing is right. Through Meir’s realistic perspective she is able to represent herself in a way that tells the audience what her beliefs are and how they will benefit the society. Meir promotes her ideals and beliefs in a way that shows her strong and confident personality, therefore she possesses the characteristics that a hero should have.

Through harnessing her compassion, Golda Meir serves as a peacemaker who values the lives of all people. While understanding the predicament that her country has faced, she represents Israel’s stance regarding conflicts with other countries: “We do not want wars, even when we win. We do not rejoice in victories. We rejoice when a new kind of cotton is grown and when strawberries bloom in Israel” (Burkett 273). Meir’s yearning for peace between countries allows her to be conscious of the things that the people of her country experience. Golda Meir’s sense of intelligence allows her to understand that “winning” is never the goal, but ultimately peace is. “The only alternative to war is peace, and the only road to peace is negotiations” (Speeches-USA.). The discovery that her beloved country is one that causes harm in others brings her to believe that peace is the best option in a world full of hate. The roots of her compassion grew from her sense insecurity from a young age: “Not being beautiful was the true blessing. Not being beautiful forced me to develop my inner resources. The pretty girl has a handicap to overcome” (Burkett 432). Throughout the struggle of not being beautiful, Golda Meir maintained an optimistic mindset. What she lacked in beauty, she made up for with wit. Likewise, Meir’s early struggles with her self image fostered a sense of compassion. Beyond her intelligence and compassion, Golda Meir is a hero because she was virtuous and always willing to do what was right, even if it meant facing the repercussions. The first female head of state in the Western world and one of the most influential women in modern history, Golda Meir was a member of the tiny coterie of founders of the State of Israel, the architect of its socialist infrastructure, and its most tenacious international defender. Her uncompromising devotion to shaping and defending a Jewish homeland against dogged enemies and skittish allies stunned political contemporaries skeptical about the stamina of an elderly leader, and transformed Middle Eastern politics for decades to follow. She taught others that their will to never stop would get them through hardships in their lives and ultimately lead them to success in their daily lives.

Golda Meir is a hero because she used her intelligence to better her society in a time of great conflict. No matter Meir’s predicament, she was portrayed as a virtuous women due to the fact that she knew her right from wrong, as well, the idea that she was able to understand herself and her beloved country. Meir did not stop fighting for her homeland until her last breath. From negotiations to advocating for peace between countries, Meir always strived to make the world a better place. The prejudice Meir faced as a first-generation Jewish American, did not hold her back and make her feel intimidated for her future, but allowed her to look at the world in a different and better way. Instead of giving up when faced with a problem, Golda Meir used the unfair odds placed against her to allow her to succeed and better the community. Golda Meir, is a Russian, Jewish, first-generation American, woman, similar to me, and proves heroic traits that not many possess. She is the epitome of overcoming obstacles and allowing her flaws to become her best qualities. Not only did Golda Meir "give her life bigger to something than herself," but she became a masterful politician, Israeli advocate, and most importantly, an inspiration for generations. For me, a person who has a similar cultural background as Golda Meir, understanding the way she used her disadvantages to shape her personality and her interest, inspires me. Meir’s ability to overcome anything thrown her way led her to change the world and satisfy the hero checklist. Meir was no extraordinary person. She grew up in a normal home and went to a normal school. Her story inspires me with the knowledge that anybody can become a hero, so long as they fearlessly strive to make the world a better place.

Burkett, Elinor. Golda. Larousse, 2009.

“Golda Meir Biography.” Encyclopedia of World Biography,

www.notablebiographies.com/Ma-Mo/Meir-Golda.html.

"Golda Meir." Encyclopedia of World Biography Online, Gale, 1998. Biography In Context,

https://link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/K1631004461/BIC?u=powa9245&sid=BIC&xid=fb92f8bc. Accessed 2 Apr. 2019.

“Golda Meir Quotes (Author of My Life).”

Speeches-USA. Golda Meir "Peace in the Middle East" Transcript,  

www.speeches-usa.com/Transcripts/golda_meir-peace.htm.

.

Israel Ministry of Foreign Affairs : Golda Meir - This link is another source that dives deeply into the life of Golda Meir. The link includes both details from her personal life as well as her actions that made her a hero.
Jewish Women's Archive: Golda Meir - This link explains why Golda Meir is an inspiration to all women and provides both evidence and stories that show Meir's unique life.