Harriet Tubman

by Ava Lanciani from Colorado

In 1849, Harriet Tubman escaped slavery to be a part of the Underground Railroad. She helped free hundreds of slaves. She dedicated her whole life to helping slaves escape to freedom, and after the war ended, she helped impoverished, former slaves. She helped so many people have the better life which they deserved. 

Harriet Tubman was born in to slavery in Maryland. In 1849, she escaped to be a part of the Underground Railroad. Harriet Tubman dedicated her life to free hundreds of slaves, including her own family members. There was an elaborate plan which included a secret network of safe houses. In the Union Army during the war, Harriet Tubman was also a spy. After the war, she helped the elderly and former slaves; she dedicated her life to this.

From 1850 to 1860, Harriet Tubman made 19 trips from the South to the North. She was following the network known as the Underground Railroad. Through this network she helped more than 300 people out of slavery and into freedom. Some of these people included her own family members. She earned the nickname “Moses,'' which she received for her leadership. She first came across the Underground Railroad when she escaped slavery herself in 1849. After the death of her owner she decided to escape to Philadelphia. 

Harriet traveled almost 90 miles to Pennsylvania using the Underground Railroad. When she finally got to the free state of Pennsylvania, she felt relieved. The way to escape slavery changed with the passage of the Fugitive Slave Law. This took place in 1850. The law stated that escaped slaves could be captured in the North and returned to slavery. This law led to black people living free in the free states to be recaptured by their owners. The law enforcements were forced to cooperate and allow them to capture the slaves, no matter what they thought personally. Harriet rerouted the Underground Railroad to Canada in response to the law, which stopped slavery categorically. Harriet guided a group of 11 fugitives northward in 1851. There is a possibility that they were stopped at the former slave Frederick Douglass' home. In April 1858, Harriet was introduced to the abolitionist John Brown. He had used violence in order to disrupt and destroy the institution of slavery. Harriet shared his goals and tolerated his methods at least. After Brown’s subsequent execution, during the Civil War, Harriet remained active. She was working as a cook and nurse for the Union Army. She had become a spy and armed scout. She led an armed expedition in the war, and she was the first woman to do so. She freed more than seven hundred slaves by guiding the Combahee River Raid, in South Carolina.  

Harriet Tubman was very well known and well-respected while she was alive. She became an American icon after she died. She was named one of the most famous civilians in American history, and this took place at the end of the twentieth century before the Civil War. She still inspires generations of Americans struggling for Civil Rights.  The city of Auburn commemorated her life with a plaque on the courthouse, after she died. Throughout the nation she was celebrated in many ways. The Harriet Tubman Home in Auburn and the Harriet Tubman Museum in Cambridge serve as monuments to her life, as well as schools named after her. The US Treasury Department decided that Harriet Tubman would replace Jackson on the $20 bill in April 2016. The public was very passionate about it, following the Women in 20's campaign which called for a notable American woman to appear on U.S. currency. They wanted Tubman because she devoted her life to fighting for women’s rights and racial equality.  Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin announced in May 2019 that the unveiling wouldn’t happen until 2026. However, the Biden administration is looking into ways to speed up the unveiling of the Tubman $20. Slavery was finally put to and end in the United States in 1865. The slaves were free but their life barely got any better. In Auburn, New York, Harriet bought a plot of land next to her house. In 1896, she built a home on that land for the poor, and sick, and also for former slaves who needed her help. Originally, the name was the John Brown home, but it was renamed to The Harriet Tubman home. Life was still very hard for former slaves even though slavery had ended. 

Harriet Tubman did something that helped so many people. She could have escaped and never looked back, but she decided to help all the slaves that couldn't help themselves. She chose to help free them. She knew that this was wrong and she did something about it. She knew everyone deserved to be free. Even though this took place many years ago it is still relevant today. So many people think that they are higher up or better than others. They don't think that everyone is the same and that they should not get treated the same as them. But this is wrong. We have to stick up for what is right. I will share this story with others. People need to be educated on what is happening in our world. Everyone has the choice to do something. The thing is, you have to decide to make the choice.  

I find this story very inspiring. To me, Harriet Tubman exhibited extreme moral courage. Harriet Tubman helped hundreds of people. Any person has the ability to show moral courage in any way big or small. I will always remember this story. Harriet Tubman inspired me to help others in need. Harriet Tubman started the fight, but we have to finish it.

Ganeri, Shone, Anita, Rob. Harriet Tubman The Life Of An African American Abolitionist.New York: Rosen Publishing Group, 2005. 48

, Biography.com Editors. Biography. [Online] Available https://www.biography.com/activist/harriet-tubman.April 2, 2014.