Harriet Tubman

by Wesley from Prishtina

To be a hero, three qualities you need are kindness, bravery, and honesty. First, you must be kind. If you are kind, you will put yourself in danger and might risk your life for others. You also must be brave. You must be brave to stand up for and help others. One last quality you need is honesty. You must be honest so people will trust you, follow you, and let you help them. If you have these qualities, you can become a hero and make the world a better place. 

One hero was Harriet Tubman. Harriet Tubman lived when slavery was legal and helped save slaves by bringing them up north on the underground railroad. She is important because she worked for the underground railroad. This is important because she helped people escape slavery and saved lives even though she could have died herself. Another reason she is important is she fought in the civil war and was a spy. This is important because she led gunboats and soldiers against the confederates. 

Harriet Tubman was born around 1822 in Dorchester County in Maryland. She was born a slave and named Araminta Ross but was called Minty. Because she was a slave, she did not go to school or college, but when she was six, her master sent her to work on other farms. Later, when she was a teenager, she went to the store, where a slave was running away. Someone threw a two-pound weight at the slave. It hit Minty instead. The injury never fully healed. Later, when she was grown up, she married John Tubman. He never came up north with her, but she remarried Nelson Davis and adopted a daughter named Gertie. After she first married, she escaped to the north and changed her name to Harriet so her master could not find her. When she first came up north, she looked at her hands to see if she was the same person. Then she started conducting the underground railroad and saved her family and other slaves. She later said, “I never ran my train off the track, and I never lost a passenger.” In the civil war, she led gunboats and union soldiers to attack confederates and rescue slaves. She managed to rescue seven hundred slaves! Finally, she died on March 10th, at age 93 from pneumonia, in Auburn, New York. 

Harriet Tubman's most important work was with the underground railroad. After she saved herself, she did not need to go back, but she did. She saved a lot of people who became free. 

Life was very hard for Harriet Tubman working for the underground railroad. After she joined the underground railroad, there was a rule that slave owners could look up north for their slaves and bring them back down south, so Harriet had to bring the slaves all the way up to Canada, instead of just the north U.S.A. Also, white people working for the underground railroad would be treated very bad if they were caught, but she was not white, so it was even more dangerous for her. 

Harriet was kind, brave, and honest, which is why she is a hero. She was kind and brave because she stood up for her people and risked her life to help them. For example, after she went up north, she went back south and rescued others even though it was super dangerous. She was honest because she showed her people the way up north and they trusted her. Therefore, she is a hero and a good role model.