Harry Styles

by Hope Amberger from Fredericksburg, Virginia

Harry Edward Styles is a famous singer-songwriter who has been in the music industry for ten years. He was born on February 1st, 1994 and at the age of sixteen, he joined the British/Irish boy band “One Direction.” He was in “One Direction” from 2010 to 2015 and has been making music solely ever since. In his solo career alone, he has picked up thirty-eight awards and 115 nominations from 30+ music award shows and released two solo albums. A hero doesn’t always have to be someone who fits the superhero role or saves people physically, like firefighters. Harry is a hero because he saves people through music. I look up to Harry; he is charming, appreciative, understanding, brave, and humble. The list could go on forever about how much Harry means to me, and the rest of the world. Harry Styles is my hero because he is kind-hearted, hardworking, and vulnerable. 

The first reason why Harry Styles is my hero is that he is kind-hearted. I, along with millions of fans around the world can agree that Harry is a genuine, one-of-a-kind human with the biggest heart. Especially in this time of need, being friendly and compassionate toward a neighbor can go a long way. Harry even created his own slogan back in 2017, “Treat People With Kindness,” also known as “TPWK.” He puts this message on all his merchandise and even has a song titled “Treat People With Kindness” that he released in 2019. Understanding the meaning of his lyrics is important because he encourages everyone to treat others respectfully, live in peace, and find good out of a dark situation. Never once have I heard a poor story about Harry Styles. 

He is appreciative of every single fan he has and when communicating with him, it’s said that he is never the first one to let go in a hug. While in the band “One Direction,” Harry managed to reach across every five-person group hug and touch each member to demonstrate how much he loved and cared for them. When Harry walks into a room, he introduces himself as if nobody knows him and shakes everyone's hand. He encourages me to have a positive attitude and love greater every day. Celebrities, like Meghan Trainor, have even commented on how down-to-earth he is. “I met [him]. He’s an amazing dude. He’s really chill. When I first met him, I was scared that he’d be like a big pop star and like super famous guy. But he was just like, ‘What’s up?’ And he’s like a 21-year-old dude, and I’m 20. So we bonded. It’s great…I think he’s an amazing writer” (CelebMix). He has managed to stay humble, caring, and personal, even as he has grown into a huge celebrity over the past 10 years. 

Along with his genuine attitude, Harry Styles is one of the most hard-working people in the music industry. From being in the band, to now, he has accomplished so much. While being in “One Direction,” they were touring, writing, recording, making music videos, having meet and greet, photo shoots, interviews, and were also co-writing music for other artists as well. Occasionally, they would have two concerts on the same day, which was seriously overwhelming. Even when he was exhausted, he pushed through and worked harder with a smile on his face. He even did an interview in “One Direction” while not having the ability to talk because he was on vocal rest. While seeing Harry work hard for the past 10 years, I have taken the responsibility to do the same. Managing school, sports, and home life can get challenging, but reflecting on it, Harry has taught me that hard work pays off and to enjoy it while it lasts. 

Even on the few days he gets off, he doesn’t sit around. He still goes out and gives to his community. While he was in LA, Ed Sheeran shared a story of how Harry went to Domino’s and bought almost 3,000 dollars worth of pizza and hand-delivered them to the homeless. “We were in LA about three months ago and he had a day off. He spent two or three grand on Domino’s pizza and drove around giving them out to homeless people. That’s an amazing story" (Rainbird). This was just one of the many actions Harry has done when instead, he could be regaining sleep or caring for himself. He continues to work hard. In the past year, he won a Grammy, won a Brit Award, completed Vogue and Gucci magazine shoots, and finished filming his second movie, “Don’t Worry Darling,” and started filming “My Policeman.” 

Harry has always been an icon and role model that I’ve looked up to since I was four years old. Whether that’s supporting causes and foundations, supporting movements, or even defying social norms, he has positively influenced people all over the world. He does this by opening up to his fans and becoming vulnerable. Some are quick to say that Harry isn’t human and can’t relate to us, but he has shared that even though he hasn’t had a normal teenage life, he still struggles with the same things that people all over the world do. It is comforting hearing that your role model has overcome similar challenges in their life too. He has told his fans that opening up is challenging and it doesn't come easy. You have to learn and take the time to focus on your mental health. Harry’s ability to become vulnerable with his family, friends, and fans has comforted and inspired people to do so as well. He also tells his fans “If you're happy doing what you're doing then nobody can tell you you’re not successful” (Harry Styles). I think that is extremely important in this day and age because thousands of people are struggling with their mental health. I have taken in every word Harry has said personally, and I strive to mature and grow mentally alongside him. He wants everyone to have freedom, be comfortable, and be happy with themselves. 

Harry Styles is my hero because he is kind-hearted, hardworking, and vulnerable. His captivating charisma shows through to everyone he meets, and he is appreciative for every opportunity, fan, family member, teammate, and friend he has. He treats everyone kindly and is selfless. He is hardworking for himself and his fans. He makes music that anyone can adore and he is positively influential. He comforts his fans by communicating with us and telling us that everything will be ok in the end. As we have grown in each other’s eyes, Harry Styles continues to amaze and support every one of us individually. I, along with millions of people around the world, are thankful for him and are proud of what he has accomplished.

, . 22 Times Celebrities Praised Harry Styles. [Online] Available https://celebmix.com/48614-2/.2016.

Connolly, K.. Harry Styles' influential journey throughout the decade. [Online] Available https://amherstwire.com/31738/entertainment/harry-styles-influential-journey-throughout-the-decade/.2020.

Styles, Harry. Zane Lowe ‘Fine Line’ Interview [Interview by Z. Lowe]. [Online] Available https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moIOVVEIffQ.2019.

Rainbird, Ashleigh. Can this boy get any cuter? Harry Styles buys £3,000 of pizzas and hands them out to the homeless. [Online] Available https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/harry-styles-bought-3000-of-pizzas-1568075.2013.