Helen Keller

by Phyllis Tseng from Taiwan

My Hero:

Helen Keller by Cindy and Phyllis Jr.2-5

119500Helen Kellerhttps://www.arageek.com/edu/2016/04/11/women-that-changed-education-history.html 

“The world’s best and most beautiful things do not look back

when also the intangible soul …… that they can only be felt.”

Hero

Speaking of heroes, what is a real hero?

Someone who encourages people with their own stories and experiments is a hero. Someone who sacrifices their youth or life for other people or their country is also a hero. And in my mind, Helen Keller is my hero, who had a real heroic life.

119507Anne Sullivanhttps://baurutv.com/2017/04/14/14-de-abril-anne-sullivan-e-botucatu-sp-2017/She was an author, lecturer and speaker in America. She was born in Tuscumbia, Alabama in 1880. She contracted an unknown illness of the stomach and brain, and lost her eyesight and hearing when she was nineteen months.

Learning

Five years later, her parents contacted the Perkins Institute for the Blind, and the school’s director asked a twenty-year-old former student, Anne Sullivan, to become Helen Keller’s teacher. She was born in Feeding Hills, Massachusetts. She and her parents were poor Irish farmers. She had been blind when she was five, but her eyesight had been restored by an operation. She came to live with the Keller family in March, 1887.

The teacher thought Helen’s restlessness was because of her parents’ incorrect behavior. They gave Helen candy when she did something wrong, because they couldn’t bear to see her being punished. Anne Sullivan corrected them. She created a good relationship with Helen and became her favorite teacher and even wrote the book “Teacher” for her

“Love is intangible, but you feel she was able to bring sweetness.” She made Helen Keller touch things and wrote words on her hand to help her learn the names of things. She touched the water in the well and learned her first word “water”.  The teacher even bought a doll for her to learn the word ‘’doll’’. She had gradually understood that everything has a name.

119509Helen Kellerhttp://www.dangdang.com/sales/brands/72626.htmlCollege

She was curious to everything. She was determined to go to Harvard University when she was only a kid. Her studying process was much harder than other children. But she didn’t stop thinking about the meaning and value of her life. “Sometimes I think that if people are to live each day as is his last day, the more wonderful! This may show the value of life. ”Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also full of the overcoming of it.” She worked really hard and finally she graduated with honors from Harvard University Radcliffe College in 1904. She became the first person who graduated from college and universities with blind and deaf.

119511homehttp://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/at-this-pump-behind-her-birthplace-at-tuscumbia-ala-helen-news-photo/515257836Achievement

When she grew up, she kept reading and working really hard and turned into a famous writer and educator that grasped English, French, Latin and German. She helped a lot of challenged people like herself by donating money and improving their environment and level of education. She was chosen to be one of the” Top 10 idols” in Time magazine. She even received the Presidential Medal of Freedom. She inspired a lot of people with her courage to face and solve problems.

Helen Keller died when she was 87 years old. People all over the world commemorate her because of her spirit of perseverance

Her ashes were placed in the Washington National Cathedral next to those of her teacher, Anne Sullivan. I think anyone who enjoys helping people is a hero, and I think the model hero is Helen Keller. It’s not because she is famous but because she was brave and I admire her very much. We should learn from her and work hard. “Toward the sun as long as they do not see the shadow.” Helen Keller