Efren Penaflorida

by Rennie from Glendale

One of my heroes is Efren Penaflorida because he is an ordinary man doing extraordinary things. Efren Penaflorida won the CNN Heroes last year. He is teaching young children that don't have money to afford school because the future generation will help and make our countries better. He teaches children by the side of the street and pushing his cart to give knowledge to the young children who can't afford school. He gives free notebooks, pencils, pens, and books to his students to help them to write and read. The young Efren knew back then that it was education which will be instrument to change their life status.

Efren Penaflorida grow up in poverty part of Cavite in Philippines. He is 29 years old and his life was full of struggles even at an early age. His dad is a tricycle driver and his mom is a vendor. When Efren was in fourth year high school at the Cavite National High School, he wanted to stop the bullying in his school. The bullies throwing rocks at them. This experience led Efren and three of his high school classmates to form ''Dynamic Teen Company'' in 1997, which aims to divert kids from joining gangs and notorious fraternities and involving themselves in small crimes.

Efren Penaflorida influence me by studying more harder and concentrate on school because many young children want to go to school but they can't afford it because of their life status. Some young children cannot afford school because they don't have parents to support them. Efren inspired me to help more people. He also inspired me that I don't have to be rich to help a lot of people. He also influenced me that nothing is impossible if you focus your mind on it. I also learned that I can reach my goals if I am determined to do it.

In conclusion Efren Penaflorida inspired me to do good for my community and to study harder. He also inspired me to reach my goals and don't let anyone to stop you from reaching your goals. I also learned from him that no matter what status your life is you can still reach your dreams. I admired him for teaching children by using pushcart, just to teach children who do not have enough money to go to school.