Saint Damien of Molokai

by Cecelia Izuo's 2010 Kindergarten Class

Image from St. Damien Banner (Photo taken in Tremello, Belgium on 10/09)

Father Damien was born in Tremeloo, Belgium on January 3, 1840.

Joseph de Veuster was the name given to Damien by his mom and dad.

Damien worked hard on his daddy’s farm when he was young. His father told him that he was a good worker.

Joseph chose to be a priest like his brother.

Joseph de Veuster begged to go to Hawaii in his brother’s place because his brother was sick.

Joseph traveled to Hawaii on a ship. It took him 148 days to get to Hawaii.

Joseph became a priest in Honolulu, Hawaii on May 21, 1864 at Our Lady of the Peace Cathedral. He took the name Father Damien.

The people of Hawaii called Father Damien “Kamiano.”

Father Damien taught people about God.

Father Damien built lots of churches in Hawaii.

Father Damien had to lay under a tree at night because when he first arrived in Kalawao, he had no house to live in.

Father Damien taught others how to care for the sick people.

Father Damien helped the sick people by writing to the government and asking for food and medicine.

Father Damien helped the people of Molokai to build houses.

Father Damien helped bandage up the people with leprosy.

Father Damien taught the people how to sing.

Father Damien helped the people by growing plants.

Father Damien built a pipeline to bring fresh water from the top of the mountain to the village.

The Queen of Hawaii gave Father Damien a special medal. The people in the village celebrated with lots of food and flowers.

When Father Damien was ill with leprosy, Mother Marianne took care of him.

Father Damien died of leprosy on April 15, 1889. He was declared a saint on October 11, 2009.

YouTube - 2010 K-1 Student's art work and testimony of why Fr. Damien is their hero.
You Tube - 2009 K-1 Student's testify why Fr. Damien is their hero.

The 2010 kindergarten class at St. Anthony School Kailua tell their story of Father Damien.