Chicago Public Library

"Education is not preparation for life. It is life itself." John Dewey

Schools, organizations and individuals who want to create MY HERO web pages on-line can use THE MY HERO PARTICIPATE PROGRAM This interactive program allows you to add your hero story and graphics (photo's, drawings, illustrations of your hero) directly into the MY HERO project while you build your HERO story online.

When the Chicago Public Library hosted an all day event called "Bookamania" at the Harold Washington Library Center in the fall of 1997, the MY HERO project was invited to participate.

The Harold Washington Center has a great facility and a dedicated staff of librarians. In just a few hours over 100 participants had started their own "My Hero" web pages or offered entries to the My Hero Guestbook. Here are some of their stories:

WRITER HERO: MAYA ANGELOU
by Leticia from Naperville

Maya Angelous is like a third grandmother to me because she is full of wisdom, courage and love.

Maya Angelou is a very unique woman. The first book of hers I read was "The Heart of a Woman," and I thought it was a very good book. I would recommend this book to any black woman to read.

Maya Angelou is the best author that I know of. She is the only author I know who describes her stories really well.

Leeanna from Chicago also wrote about MAYA ANGELO as her poet hero.

LeeanaMaya AngelouMy hero is Mayou Angelou because I love the poetry she writes. Her poetry is very understandable to me. It is also very deep.

SPORTS HERO:
MICHAEL JORDAN
by Chris from Evanston

Michael Jordan is my Hero because he can take some high dunks. He can dribble well. He is the best.

FAMILY HERO:
Sheila Hubbard
by Melissa from Chicago

Because my mom's the most beautiful human being I know since I'm just six.

I am a great science student and when I grow up I want to be scientist.

Hero's Hero:
Men In Black
by Alan from Chicago

I like the "Men in Black," because they look cool, and they have black guns and they are very brave. I wish they could really protect us and make us safe.

DiamondKelliDiamond says: "Kelli is my hero because I love her. She makes me laugh.

Kelli says: "Diamond is my hero because she loves me and she makes me laugh. She makes me fall down laughing and she makes me pick up keys and she makes me pick up numbers and she makes me pick up my voice."

Derek
Rhonda Flood
by Derek from Tacoma

My HERO is my wonderful wife Rhonda. Rhonda is always there for me whether I am happy or sad. She always encourages me when I am down. When I am hungry, she feeds me. When I am cold, she keeps me warm. In short Rhonda really loves me and I love her too.

Bookamania Guestbook Entries:

Kenneth Jackson from Chicago, Illinois - 22-Nov-97 at 01:02 PM. My hero is: Superman. Superman is my hero because one day I saw the Superman marathon and I like him. I like the show so much that I watch all the episodes. When I was done I watched the episode that came on at 7:00. I saw how Superman saved all those poeple. Thats why I like Superman.

KELLY STEWART from CHICAGO, IL - 22-Nov-97 at 12:55 PM. My hero is: FELISHA STEWART. I selected my mother for my hero because she's always there for me when I need her and she always gives me what I need and she also gave birth to me and because I love her.

ALEXIS BULLOCKS from CHICAGO, IL - 22-Nov-97 at 12:53 PM. My hero is: MARIE BULLOCKS. I put my mother because she gave birth to me. I also chose my mother for my hero because she is always there for me.

LATESHA BULLOCKS from CHICAGO, ILLONOIS - 22-Nov-97 at 12:52 PM. My hero is: GENEVA WILLIAMS. My grandmother is my hero because she's always there when I need her. She has never put me down and I want to thank her for that. She keeps the family happy at all times.

April Purkett from Chicago, Ill - 22-Nov-97 at 12:52 PM. My hero is: My Father. My Father is my hero because through thick and thin he still loves me.

Gita Purkett from Chicago, Il - 22-Nov-97 at 12:48 PM. My hero is: mom & dad, because they buy me everything I need

TERESA HUANTE GOODHUE from CHICAGO, IL U.S.A. - 22-Nov-97 at 12:31 PM. My hero is: QUETZALCOATL. Quetzalcoatl was the peace-loving Aztec diety who brought the arts and learning to the people of ancient Mexico. He also gave them cor (maiz) which was considered a food of the gods and which America gave to the world. He is also known as the feathered serpent, Venus, and the god of wind.

Jeanna Bissell from Chicago, Il - 22-Nov-97 at 12:28 PM. My hero is: Batman & Robin. I like Batman & Robin because they saved Gotham City from Poison Ivy and Mr. Freeze. They tried to freeze and poison the whole city and they saved Gotham City from being frozen.

Geoffrey from Chicago, Ill USA - 22-Nov-97 at 12:24 PM. My hero is: Superman. I like superman because he is very famous and he fights crime.

Raymond from Chicago, Il usa - 22-Nov-97 at 12:21 PM. My hero is: Batman. He is my hero because he's cool and he is bat.

KENNETH GRAHAM from CHICAGO , ILL USA - 22-Nov-97 at 12:20 PM. My hero is: MOM. I like my mom because she does every thing for me. That's my HERO.

Quintin from Chicago, Ill usa - 22-Nov-97 at 12:19 PM. My hero is: Bruce Lee, because he is a great karate fighter. He was in a lot of movies.

Seth Rivers from Chicago, Ill America - 22-Nov-97 at 12:17 PM. My hero is: Michael Jordan. Michael Jordan is my hero because he can play basketball really good and I like playing basketball

JENELLE SPELLER from CHICAGO, IL USA - 22-Nov-97 at 12:07 PM. My hero is: Mr. Martin Luther King. He saved my world. He's a nice man. He said that every person can sit in the front of the bus.

Nia Crumbley from Chicago, Il, USA - 22-Nov-97 at 12:07 PM. My hero is: Mase, because he has all the moves. He can rap, dance's fine and one day I would like to meet him and the bad boy crew.

Le'Ticia Blaxton from Naperville, Il, America- 22-Nov-97 at 12:00 PM. My hero is: Maya Angelou. She is good at describing how black people lived in the past and is very wise and full of good advice in her stories/movies.

Ruben from Chicago, IL USA - 22-Nov-97 at 11:56 AM. My hero is: Patrick, because he got my baseball team into the playoffs against the Giants. He's a good guy and he always hits homeruns.

Jubril from Chicago, Il USA - 22-Nov-97 at 11:54 AM. My hero is: Jet. Jet is my old teammate. He is my hero because he took us to the championship game.

Eleanore from Chicago, Illinois USA - 22-Nov-97 at 11:52 AM. My hero is: My Mommy. My Mommy takes care of me and loves me

Anat from Chicago, IL USA - 22-Nov-97 at 11:46 AM. My hero is: The Snort. The Snort is a character from the book "Are You My Mother" by P.D. Eastman. The Snort saves the lost baby bird and gets him home so that he can be with his mother.

nathaniel minnoy - 22-Nov-97 at 11:44 AM. My hero is: Bill Tucker, because he helps me with things.

Natalie Schick from Chicago, Il USA - 22-Nov-97 at 11:44 AM. My hero is: My Dad -Ray. My Dad is my hero because he is very, very protective of me. He is so kind and he teaches me a lot.

Phyllis Ferguson from Chicago, Illinois USA - 22-Nov-97 at 11:42 AM. My hero is: Nerissa Brown, for always being there when I need you. Thanks for all your support.

Trudy from Chicago, Il, - 22-Nov-97 at 11:42 AM. My hero is: Harold Washington. He is my hero because he was able to have the privilege to become the first African American mayor in the city of Chicago. One reason he is my hero is that he fought in World War II.

Dajuan Ballentine from Chi., Ill. USA - 22-Nov-97 at 11:38 AM. My hero is: Linne Colmen. She's my hero because she gives me any thing I want and she is loving and smart.

Rachel from Chicago, Il USA - 22-Nov-97 at 11:38 AM. My hero is: Mrs. Mann. Mrs. Mann is my Kindergarten teacher at St. Mary Star of the Sea. She is my hero because she is nice, pretty, and she helps me with my papers. I like that she teaches me and that we have fun.

Vicki from Chicago, Il USA - 22-Nov-97 at 11:35 AM. My hero is: Auntie Annette, because I love her and she is very special to me.

Luis from Chicago, IL - 22-Nov-97 at 11:31 AM. My hero is: Luis Sr. My dad is my hero because he stays with me when my mom goes to work. He loves me very much.

RICHARD GUSS from CHICAGO, IL USA - 22-Nov-97 at 11:31 AM. My hero is: EMILY GUSS. She is my hero because she feeds me, cares for me and she is my mom.