Philosophers

Howard Zinn

by Abigail Richardson from MY HERO Staff

Howard Zinn was an American historian, playwright, philosopher, socialist intellectual and World War II veteran. He was chair of the history and social sciences department at Spelman College, and a political science professor at Boston University. Zinn wrote over 20 books, including his best-selling and influential A People's History of the United States in 1980. In 2007, he published a version of it for younger readers, A Young People's History of the United States.

Howard Zinn, an eminent American historian, political scientist, and social activist, was a figure who played a pivotal role in shaping our understanding of history and the world we live in. Born on August 24, 1922, in Brooklyn, New York, Zinn dedicated his life to challenging dominant historical narratives, unearthing forgotten voices, and advocating for social justice. His work continues to inspire and challenge scholars and activists worldwide.

154721Howard ZimmFlickr

Zinn's influential book, "A People's History of the United States," is perhaps his most well-known accomplishment. Published in 1980, this alternative narrative of American history presented a radical departure from the traditional textbook accounts that tended to focus on the perspectives of the powerful elite. Zinn aimed to tell the story of "the people" – the marginalized, the oppressed, and those whose struggles for justice are often overlooked. By weaving together various accounts of Native Americans, African Americans, women, and other subjugated groups, Zinn's book shed light on the true story of America's past, often marked by exploitation and inequality.

The impact of "A People's History" cannot be understated. It challenged the traditional narrative and forced readers to confront the historical realities often glossed over in mainstream accounts. The book empowered individuals by revealing the potential for change and the agency of ordinary people. It invited readers to consider history from multiple perspectives, fostering a critical mindset and encouraging active citizenship.

Zinn's work extended far beyond this groundbreaking book. As a professor at Boston University, Zinn inspired countless students with his engaging lectures and thought-provoking analysis of history. He believed that history should not be limited to the past – it should actively shape our understanding of the present and guide us in building a more just future. Zinn's commitment to fostering critical thinking and inspiring activism left an indelible mark on generations of students.

Zinn was not only an academic but also deeply engaged in activism throughout his life. He actively participated in social movements opposing wars, racial injustice, and economic inequality. He championed causes such as civil rights, the anti-war movement, and workers' rights. By putting theory into practice, Zinn demonstrated the importance of standing up for what one believes in and fighting for a more equitable and just society.

154722Howard ZimmFlickr

Critics often accused Zinn of bias, arguing that his work presented an overly negative portrayal of the United States. It is true that Zinn did not shy away from highlighting the darker chapters of American history, including genocide, slavery, and exploitation. However, his intention was never to vilify or undermine the country but rather to challenge conventional narratives and draw attention to stories that deserved recognition. By acknowledging the flaws of the past, Zinn believed that true progress could be made in the present and future.

Zinn described himself as "something of an anarchist, something of a socialist. Maybe a democratic socialist." He wrote extensively about the civil rights movement, the anti-war movement and labor history of the United States. His memoir, ‘You Can't Be Neutral on a Moving Train’ (Beacon Press, 1994), was also the title of a 2004 documentary about Zinn's life and work. Zinn died in 2010, at age 87.