Human Solidarity Day

December 20

According to former Secretary General of the UN Ban Ki Moon, this day of observance is to "urge people from all nations, faiths, cultures and traditions to work together in common cause to keep the promise made at the turn of the Millennium and leave a legacy of peace, prosperity and sustainable progress for generations to come."

Credit: UN Photo/used with permission

Background

Identifying solidarity as one of the most fundamental values necessary for the the 21st century, the UN declared December 20 International Solidarity Day in 2005.

International Human Solidarity Day is a day:

• to celebrate our unity in diversity;
  • to remind governments to respect their commitments to international agreements;
  • to raise public awareness of the importance of solidarity;
  • to encourage debate on the ways to promote solidarity for the achievement of the UN Sustainable Development Goals, including poverty eradication;
  • of action to encourage new initiatives for poverty eradication.

What are the Sustainable Development Goals?

They are 17 development goals for the people and the planet, founded on the protection of human rights and the aim of lifting people out of poverty, hunger and disease. 

MY HERO celebrates people of all ages who inspire us in the spirit of solidarity.

Stories About Heroes Taking a Global Stand for Action

Malala Yousafzai: The One With a Voice

By: Alex Zakoor
Malala Yousafzai is a Pakistani activist for girls' education and the youngest winner of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Greta Thunberg

By: MY HERO Staff

Greta Thunberg, a climate activist with Asperger's, protested outside of Swedish Parliament alone. Now, she's leading 1.5 million students globally.

Emma Watson

By: Maryn Imus

Emma Watson is an actress and UN Women Goodwill Ambassador who created a solidarity movement for gender equality.

Bill Gates

By: Josh Bajado

Bill Gates created the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, which focuses on health, education and poverty and is the largest private foundation in the world.

Listen & Read Along

Robin Lim

By: Wendy Jewell
Robin Lim devotes her life to improving the birth experience so that all humans are born with an intact capacity to love.

Kenji Williams - Founder & Director of Bella Gaia - in Conversation with The MY HERO Project

By: Wendy Jewell from The MY HERO Project
Kenji Williams creates music and films that celebrate the earth from the perspective of space.

For Younger Readers - by Younger Readers

Malala Yousafzai

By: Avery

"An experience that Malala has shown me is to stand up for yourself and don't be afraid." 

Art that Speaks to Solidarity

Peace in Unity

By: Jessica

Solidarity

By: Philip Sedberry

Multicoloured Scarf of Peace

By: Fauzia Minallah
Artwork by artist Fauzia Minallah.

Multi-religious Harmony Mural

By: Fauzia Minallah
Artwork by artist Fauzia Minallah.

These Films Highlight People Working Together for Acceptance and Understanding

Malala: The Story of a Hero

Produced by:Lora Batchelor Middle School
This is a video about Malala Yousafzai and how she stood up for women's rights.

Racism Must Stop

Azomali Obisakin | In-Progress
A documentary short exploring the impact of racism on the lives of children and adults.

Vital Voices: Hawa Abdi

Produced by:Aaron Kisner
Dr. Hawa Abdi is Somalia's first female gynecologist. When the central government collapsed in 1989, Dr. Abdi's one-room clinic on her family farm began treating and housing local people fleeing the fighting.

Pray the Devil Back to Hell - excerpt

Produced by:Abigail Disney (Producer) and Gini Reticker (Director)
This important documentary sheds light on the "Womens Peace Movement of Liberia," and celebrates these unsung heroes. (excerpt)

A Magical Place

Raj Yagnik
In South Sudan, school is a magical place.

Girls Like Us

Produced by:Hailey Sprinkel
Apps & Girls, an organization that teaches young girls how to code their own websites, and Carolyne Ekyarisiima, the founder of Apps & Girls, became a mentor.