I Am Proud: The Athletes of Special Olympics

By Richard Corman, Eunice Kennedy Shriver (Foreword by), Timothy P. Shriver (Foreword by)

Publisher: Barnes & Noble Books, May 2003
ISBN: 9780760741757
MY HERO recommends this book to readers of all age groups.
Synopsis
In 1968, Eunice Kennedy Shriver took issue with the notion that people with mental disabilities are simply too different to belong, to be friends, or to deserve a good education, quality medical care, or a chance in sport and in life. By founding Special Olympics she opened the doors to a world where everyone has a chance to be a champion.

Twenty-three years later Richard Corman discovered that world and put his own considerable gifts to work documenting the spirit and courage of Special Olympics athletes. His amazing photographs capture the energy and excitement of men and women, boys and girls from around the world as they display their skills and celebrate their gifts.

I Am Proud unites Corman's inspiring images with messages from international leaders about the impact of the Special Olympics movement and its athletes on their lives. In portraying the athletes' dignity, grace, and joy in competition, the book brings fresh perspective to a group of people too often defined by their perceived disabilities, and creates a new awareness of the incredible potential of the human spirit.

Write your comments
  • Only registered users can write reviews