iEARN

"TELAR", iEARN in Action in Argentina

In Spanish, TELAR stands for "Todos en la Red" --simply translated, "Everyone on the Internet."

Telar is a project which stems from iEARN Argentina, and within it, there are several projects for teachers and students to engage in. Among them is "Puertas a la Paz" which translates into "Doors towards Peace," a project open to everyone, young and old, interested in educational exchanges which will foster reflection, communication, and projects geared to creating a local and global community of peace.

Another project which Telar offers is "Tour Por El Mundo," or a "Tour of the World" where Spanish-speaking students, ages 10-17, can learn about other parts of the world, help encourage tourism in their own countries, and learn to respect one another's culture and country, as well as each other.

The iEARN Argentina Center has been active since 1990. Starting in Patagonia, iEARN Argentina has worked with the Ministry of Education to expand iEARN to hundreds of schools across the country. With support from the Ministry, iEARN Argentina hosted the first annual iEARN International Teacher's Meeting in 1994. Currently, teachers have been trained in over 1,000 schools throughout the country.

"The Lewin Project," a part of iEARN Australia

iEARN Australia offers a number of projects and resources to participate in. Among them is "The Lewin Project," which is an anthology of students' writing from around the world. The anthology's title comes from the language of the Ganai/Kurnai people of Australia and means "Messenger." Students from all over the world are invited to submit poetry, autobiographies, opinionatives, and informatives. Lewin is facilitated by teachers in Karachi, Pakistan and Bairnsdale, Australia and edited by students at Sultan Mohammad Shah Aga Khan School Karachi, Pakistan and Bairnsdale Secondary College, Bairnsdale, Australia.

iEARN Australia was one of the founding Member Centers of iEARN. iEARN Australia is run by a management team, which is elected every year. Teachers and students in Australia are very active in coordinating a number of significant iEARN projects, including The Teddy Bear's Project, The First Peoples' Project, Faces of War, The Fight Against Child Labour Project, Lewin, Labs Alive, and Kindred. Australia hosted the 1995 iEARN International Teacher's Meeting in Melbourne.

"Media Literacy Through TV" and "Dream School," iEARN Japan's Interactive Projects

iEARN Japan offers teachers and students the opportunity to participate in several interactive projects, particularly dealing with technology and the media, and their use in the classroom.

One of these projects is "Media Literacy Through TV" where participants discuss television programs, such as Japanese-made programs for children (animated films like Ultraman) which are very popular among children in many countries. Depending on the participants' ages, news/report programs can be dealt with as well. This project hopes that participants will become aware of their different cultural backgrounds and understand one another better as a result of their discussions with students in other countries.

Another key project in Japan is "Dream School", where students, ages 12 and up, discuss and investigate what aspects of school life they want to improve. Students write essays and poems describing their dream school, and may approach the topic from different perspectives, such as physical setting, curricula, teacher's profile, daily school schedule, behavioral rules, grading students, or infrastructure. Students also make illustrations of their dream school, which will appear in a digital gallery on the Internet. A final event is a video conference of the participants organized by Teleclass Japan.

iEARN Japan works with Teleclass International in Osaka to involve schools throughout the country in iEARN projects. Japanese schools are interested in working on cross-cultural, environmental and language-based projects. iEARN is also working with the government of Japan to "internationalize" Japanese educational networking. Recently, a special online forum has been created to enable iEARN students worldwide to work in Japanese. iEARN Japan will host the 2003 iEARN International Conference and Youth Summit.

"Community Voices, Collaborative Solutions" iEARN's Moroccan Projects gear towards global understanding

iEARN is working with a network of schools in the eastern section of Morocco, and iEARN Morocco programs have been established in Arabic, French, and English.

The iEARN Morocco Coordinator, Mourad Benali, is a member of the Africa SchoolNet and has published articles on iEARN's work, as well as on the need for ICTs (Information and Communication Technologies)in his country.

One of iEARN Morocco's projects is CVCS or "Community Voices, Collaborative Solutions" that works as a type of 'Learning Circle,' in which iEARN groups schools worldwide to work together on collaborative projects. CVCS is geared to English language educators from Algeria, Egypt, India, Jordan, Lebanon, Morocco, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, and Tunisia who are participating in iEARN projects that focus on issues of civic education.

CVCS brings educators in the Near East, North Africa and South Asia together to work on iEARN projects. The program creates safe and nurturing environments for students and educators in these regions to address civic education issues relevant to their communities.

"Project Education 2000" and iEARN Jamaica

iEARN Jamaica is part of a broad coalition of public and private organizations working to enhance basic and science education in Jamaica. Working with Dr. Julius Garvey, iEARN is training teachers on computer use and applications in the classroom. Recent workshops have involved 26 schools in St. Catherine's Parish, as well as schools in Kingston and Montego Bay. iEARN is working with the Marcus Garvey Foundation for Education and Human Development, which has launched Education 2000.

Education 2000 is a unique collaboration between private, public, national and international organizations to insure that, as its motto states, "Every Jamaican Child Can Learn; Every Jamaican Child Must Learn!"

Jamaica Education 2000 recently conducted its first workshop for principals and teachers. Jamaica Education 2000 is creating a pilot project to demonstrate that students' writing, reading, critical thinking, technical, and other learning skills can be enhanced through the integration of technology and hands-on scientific exploration.

iEARN - The International Education and Resource Network
TELAR - Todos en la Red --iEARN in Argentina
iEARN Japan - Includes "Media Literacy through TV" and "Dream School" projects
iEARN Morocco - Includes details on "CVCS" and more
Lewin Project - A part of iEARN Australia

Please click on any of the photos on this page to follow the links to each area's Web site where you will find additional information on each of these projects and more.

Visit the iEARN Web site at www.iearn.org or by clicking on the map above to learn more about what iEARN and its members are doing around the globe, and to become a part of iEARN.

Find friendship through education and help make a difference in the world!

The International Education and Resource Network, or iEARN, is a non-profit global network that enables young people to use the Internet and other new technologies to engage in collaborative educational projects that both enhance learning and make a difference in the world.

Currently, iEARN branches around the world host a variety of projects for both local and international schools to participate in. The following is a list of some special projects iEARN and its members are working on around the globe:

Powered by NopCommerce