Students learn about heroes from all over the world fighting for biodiversity and consider how one person can have a lasting impact on the future. Encourage your students to think about how they too can make a positive impact. Resources for Elementary, Middle and High School Students.
Elementary students watch this animated video “The Ocean We Want To Know,” which takes them on an adventure around the world to some of the planet’s most exotic ocean locations, singing a song of ocean celebration to the tune of Gotye’s “Somebody That I Used To Know.” The story presents stunning facts about the ocean in a fun and unique way, speaking to a young audience..
Lesson plans about the importance of Kelp organized by grade level.
Students watch The Kelp Lady about marine biologist Nancy Caruso who led the move to replant Orange County's kelp forest. Lesson plans included organized by grade level.
Nancy Caruso aka "The Kelp Lady" has worked hard to restore the kelp off of the shores of Orange County. (running time 3:22 min.)
THE KELP LADY Produced by the MY HERO Project: TRT 8 min 41 seconds
The Kelp Lady features marine biologist Nancy Caruso, who led the move to replant Orange County's kelp forest. She's also involved in many different causes aimed at replenishing sea life along California's coast.
ECOLOGICAL INTERACTION AND BIODIVERSITY OF KELP FORESTS Produced by The MY HERO Project
Resources and Discussion Questions for Middle and High School Students
This is an excellent essay about John Muir, the famous California conservationist, and his radically non-anthropocentric view of nature.
Rachel Carson is credited by many as the mother of the environmental movement. She raised awareness of the danger to the environment, as well as health risks, from the use of chemicals.
MY HERO recommends reading this essay by Wendy Jewell about her hero, Rachel Carson, which is available in text and audio - great for ESL/EFF students. After reading the essay, take a close look at her portrait by Robert Shetterly.
Learn about Indian author, scholar and environmental activist Dr. Vandana Shiva who works to preserve biodiversity on earth. Why is the work Dr. Shiva doing important? How has Dr. Shiva helped protect the world's biodiversity?
Here are two stories to read about heroes working to preserve important ecosystems that are part of the earth's biodiversity. Carlos Mendes worked to protect the Amazon rain forest and Mary Hagedorn works to protect coral reefs.
1. How does the work of Chico Mendez and Mary Hagedorn impact the future of Earth's biodiversity?
2. What character traits do Chico Mendez and Mary Hagedorn have that contributed to their heroic efforts to preserve biodiversity?
3. Who else is working to protect the biodiversity of our world? Share his or her story about the work they are doing with MY HERO.
Dr. Lovejoy, the "godfather of biodiversity," brings celebrities and scientists to the Amazon to sleep in hammocks and see our biggest environmental crises: climate change and biodiversity loss.
1. Why is the ecosystem of the Amazon important to the rest of the world?
2. What are the risks of climate change and deforestation to the biodiversity of the Amazon?
3. Why is the work that ecologists like Thomas Lovejoy are doing important?
4. Who are other scientists and activists working to protect the Amazon's resources? Share their story with MY HERO.
MY HERO recommends watching one or more of the following films about heroes working towards protecting the earth's biodiversity. Students then consider the discussion questions.
Caroline Cannon, an Inupiat indigenous leader, takes aim at offshore oil drilling that threatens her people and the biodiversity in the Arctic Sea. (running time 4:18 min)
A biologist by training, Rudi Putra is dismantling illegal palm oil plantations that are causing massive deforestation in northern Sumatra’s Leuser Ecosystem. (running time 4:15 min.)
1. How do each of the people featured in these films demonstrate that one person can make a difference?
2. How are each of the people featured in these films heroes for biodiversity? What impact have they had on the future of our interconnected world?
3. What heroic character traits do these people exemplify that led them to the work they have done?
4. What concerns do you have about the future of Earth's biodiversity? What can you do? Share your story with MY HERO.
Students will develop a better understanding of our interconnected world and the importance of a healthy biodiversity.
Students will analyze issues regarding biodiversity today, and how one individual can have a lasting impact on the future.
They have the opportunity to evaluate issues in biodiversity today and create an action plan.
TED Ed | Why is Biodiversity Important?
An excellent introduction video which explains the three components of biodiversity: ecosystem, genetic and species. Learn about the Amazon rainforest, one of the most biodiverse ecosystems in the world; coral reefs.
The International Day of Biodiversity lesson plan was created by MY HERO Education Outreach Director Laura Nietzer.
Biodiversity is the variety of life in the world or in a particular habitat or ecosystem.
Related External Links
Learn about a New Hero Every Day of the Year
Students can share their Hero Essays, Films and Art through our Create Program
Organizer created on 4/10/2019 10:34:48 AM by Laura Nietzer
Last edited 5/18/2022 2:23:04 PM by Laura Nietzer