ORGANIZER

International Day of Persons with Disabilities

The International Day of Persons with Disabilities is an important opportunity to raise awareness and help increase visibility of those with disabilities of all natures. As the UN puts it, 'the commitment to realizing the rights of persons with disabilities is not only a matter of justice; it is an investment in a common future.'

These films all explore heroes facing challenges due to disabilities or those that have helped to raise awareness and increase representation.

Surfers Healing Autism Camps

By: Abigail Richardson
Surfers Healing, the original surf camp for children with autism was founded in 1996. Its mission is to enrich the lives of people living with autism by exposing them to the unique experience of surfing.

Super Ruby

Dean Saffron
This piece pays homage to the power of positivity generated by Ruby, a young sporting champion who endeavours to lead her best life everday.

Andy

Jamy Wheless | Executive Producer: Jean Schultz | Lead Animator: Brendan Gottlie...
An uplifting story of how one puppy overcomes a series of obstacles to find his purpose in life.

Inclusion On the Air

Eli Canter
Emily Perl Kingsley is a former Sesame Street writer and longtime activist for children with disabilities and their families.

Mental Health Awareness

Andy Crisp
Bringing awareness to mental health in Laguna Beach Unified School District.

Do You See Rainbow?

Kitty Richardson
An insight into autism from the perspective of someone with autism.

Darius Goes West

Logan Smalley
Darius captures the hearts of a nation on his journey west to spread awareness about Muscular Dystrophy.

The Bright Connection

Producer: Produced and Directed by Madison Boll
The Bright Connection is a center that cares for children with severe developmental disabilities. It's a place where everyone is encouraged to be the best version of themselves.

The MY HERO Report II - Ablaye

Producer: Fary Sakho & Cheikh Seck
An engaging look at Ablaye, who embodies determination in the face of adversity.

The Sea and Me - Atop

Dominic Joyce
Charlotte Banfield is a world-class para surfer that until a few years ago was completely afraid of water.

The Big Picture: Rethinking Dyslexia [Trailer]

Produced by:Karen Pritzker
The myths, the stigmas, the truths, of dyslexia revealed.

About Ron Kovic

Produced by:The MY HERO Project
Ron Kovic is veteran, author, artist, and speaker who has spent decades advocating for peace.

Minimum Max

Produced by:Joshua Ovalle
A brief and powerful first-hand account from high school student, Max, who must navigate through the world of ADD and all the medications that come along with it.

Believe

Produced by:Logan Cascia
Portrait of hero Tommy Carroll, who embraces his disability and doesn't view his blindness as a handicap--and meets his hero, skateboard legend Tony Hawk.

Brice Cunningham

Produced by:Bailey Cunningham
Bailey Cunningham's engaging portrait of her brother, who never let's being deaf stand in his way.

Material Bodies

Produced by:Julie Machin, Lucy Pucillino
A visceral and empathetic exploration of people’s relationship with their prosthetic limbs.

Dorothy Allen Pickard on her film Material Bodies

Kitty Richardson
Dorothy Allen Pickard discusses her film Material Bodies, which won 1st place in the Arts Heroes category at the 2020 MY HERO International Film Festival.

These stories include heroes with disabilities as well as heroes that have significantly helped in raising awareness or inclusivity. 

Animated short ‘Andy’ wins "Best of Fest" 2022

By: Abigail Richardson
Animated short ‘Andy’ wins "Best of Fest" at the 18th Annual MY HERO International Film Festival

‘Inclusion on the Air’: Winner of the Women Transforming Media Youth Award and High School Documentary Category 2022

By: Naomi Gledhill

Andy Crisp's Film, 'Mental Health Awareness' Wins Relationships First Award

By: Deborah Neff, MY HERO Staff writer

Kitty Richardson

By: Abigail Richardson
Kitty is the MY HERO Deputy Film Festival Director and an award-winning singer-songwriter and documentarian from the UK.

Mrs. M: My Hero on The Dyslexia Journey

By: Rev. Charles F. Harper M. Div.,<br>Yale Divinity School
"Life is not about what you plan but the interruptions."

Loretta Claiborne

By: Charles F. Harper
"God is my strength and Special Olympics is my joy."

Ralf Hotchkiss

By: Kathy Crockett, <br>My Hero
Ralf Hotchkiss is an engineer, inventor and humanitarian, and the founder of Whirlwind Wheelchair International.

Aimee Mullins

By: Claudia Herrera Hudson
Aimee Mullins challenges the definitions of physical beauty and athletic ability.

Michael J. Fox

By: Amelia from San Diego
Michael J. Fox works to find a cure for Parkinsons Disease.

Bethany Hamilton

By: Tyler H. from Sycamore Jr. High
Never Give Up

Marla Runyan

By: Jane from Grand Rapids, Michigan
Marla Runyan overcame a visual impairment to become an Olympic runner.

Nick Vujicic

By: Tim from San Diego
Nick Vujicic went from a life without limbs to a life without limits

Zack's Place

By: Dail Frates from Woodstock
Zack's Place provides enrichment programs to special needs pre and post graduates.

Dr. Jeni Stepanek

By: Slater Jewell-Kemker
Dr. Jeni Stepanek is interviewed by MY HERO's Slater Jewell-Kemker.

Stevie Wonder

By: Lauren
Stevie Wonder a musician who has overcome great obstacles.

Listen & Read Along

The following story has a link so you can hear the audio as you read. Great for ESL students!

Paco, My Dyslexic Hero

By: Skye Malik
Paco, My Dyslexic Hero Grandpa Paco shows Skye that she can succeed at anything.

Jessie Christopherson

By: Emily from North Sioux City
Jessie Christopherson helps the physically and mentally challenged accomplish things they never thought possible.

Organizer created on 11/30/2022 10:42:37 AM by Naomi Gledhill

Last edited 12/5/2023 11:40:30 AM by Abigail Richardson