International Day of the World's Indigenous People

August 9

Indigenous peoples are the people who were the original inhabitants of a place. Indigenous peoples are also called "first peoples, aboriginal peoples or native peoples." According to the UN, there are 370 million indigenous peoples around the world. They make up 5% of the population, but 15% of the poorest. 

International Indigenous People's Day is celebrated on August 9 because the UN Working Group on Indigenous Populations met for the first time on that date in 1982. 2017 was the 10th anniversary of the UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous People, which the rights that “constitute the minimum standards for the survival, dignity and well-being of the indigenous peoples of the world.”

International Indigenous People's Day promotes the protection of the rights of the world's indigenous population. This event also recognizes the achievements and contributions that indigenous people make to improve world issues such as environmental protection.

Films about Indigenous Heroes

Smoke That Travels [Trailer]

Producer: Kayla Briët

What happens when a story is forgotten? I'm making a film about my dad, Gary Wiski-ge-amatyuk, my family, and what it means to be Native American today.

Water Song

Producer: Mill Valley Film Group/Will Parrinello

Máxima Acuña, a subsistence farmer in Peru’s northern highlands, stood up to Newmont Mining Corporation!

Mother of All Rivers

Producer: Will Parrinello

Berta Cáceres rallied her indigenous Lenca people to wage a grassroots protest that successfully pressured the government of Honduras and the world's largest dam builder to withdraw from building the Agua Zarca Dam.

We Still Live Here As Nutayunean

Producer: Anne Makepeace

The people of the Wampanoag tribe work to preserve their language.

Art about Indigenous Heroes

Ben Milch artwork about a mother and her baby
Credit: Ben Milch

In the coming- of- age Hamatsa ceremony, a boy on the verge of manhood is "kidnapped", becomes wild and uncontrollable, and then the community brings the boy back to "humanity". In our modern urban reality, this concept is still very important for our youth.
Indigenous Peoples
Credit: Joel Bergner

Indigenous People of the Earth
Credit: Joanne Tawfilis
Credit: Kay Smith, Artist Laureate of Illinois

Stories about Indigenous Heroes

Berta Cáceres

By: Rachel Parsons

Berta Cáceres was a native Lenca environmental and human rights advocate. The Lenca are indigenous to parts of Honduras and El Salvador and have inhabited the region for thousands of years. 

Rigoberta Menchú Tum (español)

By: Lydia Ratna

Rigoberta Menchú, la ganadora del Premio Nobel de la Paz de 1992, piensa acerca de sí misma, como mujer indígena a pesar de que su herencia maya representa una desventaja en su natal Guatemala.

Links

Official UN Website

UN International Day of the World's Indigenous Peoples
Credit: UN.org

Organizer created on 10/9/2017 2:56:10 PM