International Mother Language Day | February 21

On International Mother Language Day we celebrate the diversity of languages and multi-lingualism.

International Mother Language Day Feb 21
Credit: By Stellapark025 (Own work) [CC BY-SA 4.0], via Wikimedia Commons

International Mother Language Day | Lesson Plan

In Cherokee, there is a word for the feeling when you see an adorable kitten, which has no English equivalent: oo-kah-huh-sdee

"oo-kah-huh-sdee"
Credit: Jamie from East Brady, PA

View short films 

Each of these 4 independent filmmakers poignantly depict the work being done by individuals to preserve their native cultures and their original languages. How does each short movie suggest answers to the following questions:

Why do we need to preserve these disappearing languages? 

How can Native Americans provide the basis for preventing the extinction of their words and traditions?

What role do the younger generations play in creating a bridge between the tribal elders and their knowledge in order to preserve the language, customs and rituals that is their heritage?

Marie's Dictionary

Produced by:Emmanuel Vaughan-Lee
This short documentary tells the story of Marie Wilcox, the last fluent speaker of the Wukchumni language and the dictionary she created in an effort to keep her language alive.

Haenyo, the women of the sea

Éloïc Gimenez
This film focuses on the life of the Haenyo, the diving women of Jeju in South Korea, with 7 idiomatic expressions from the island.

We Still Live Here As Nutayunean

Produced by:Anne Makepeace
The people of the Wampanoag tribe work to preserve their language.

Smoke That Travels [Trailer]

Produced by:Kayla Briët
What happens when a story is forgotten? I'm making a film about my dad, Gary Wiski-ge-amatyuk, my family, and what it means to be Native American today.

Story

Peata Melbourne

By: Hinerangi from Rotorua

Sequoya

By: Brittany and Jasmine from Banks, Ala.

Dante Alighieri

By: Camilla from Cairo
Dante Alighieri contributed to Italian culture by his use of the Tuscan language instead of Latin.

Art

Sequoyah

By: Brianna from San Diego
The man who gave his people the Cherokee alphabet

Trunk Language

By: Julio Lukwago of Uganda

Newswire

A digital solution when children can’t find books in their mother tongue

By: Alexis Xydias, Correspondent, CS Monitor

Meanwhile... in Senegal, elementary schools are experimenting with teaching students in the native language of Wolof

By: CS Monitor Staff

How a headmaster is trying to save an ancient language

Preserving Language: Rapper and Rabbi revive Love Songs in Old Spanish Ladino Dialect

By: Dinah Kraft, Correspondent, CS Monitor

One woman who’s easing the language barrier for immigrants

By: Anh Nguyet Tranh

Books

Sequoyah's greatest achievement was the invention of a method for his people to write and read their own language. This great leader was celebrated not as a warrior, but as a man of ideas. Today, a statue of Sequoyah stands in the Capitol building in Washington D.C. He is a truly outstanding example of an Indian who made his mark on history.

Credit: Public Domain

Sources

1 "Lexical Facts." The Economisthttps://www.economist.com/blogs/johnson/2013/05/vocabulary-size

2 "Why We Must Save Dying Languages." BBC Future. http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20140606-why-we-must-save-dying-languages

Links

Organizer created on 2/18/2018 1:16:13 PM by Staff

Last edited 1/25/2021 1:57:30 PM by Xenia Shin