Media Arts

Stories from Italian Middle School Students at MY HERO International Film Festival

by Vittoria Grandis from MY HERO Staff

The MY HERO International Film Festival is not just a platform for showcasing films; it's a celebration of creativity, diversity, and the power of storytelling. Italian middle school students of Professor Vittorio Caratozzolo have embraced this opportunity with enthusiasm, pouring their hearts and minds into crafting films that captivate audiences worldwide.

Engaging in the creative process and film production, these students take ownership of their projects. From writing scripts to conducting research, from acting to shooting, every aspect is a collaborative effort. As one student, Sofia, reflects, "Actually most of the project was developed by the class. We were: actors/actresses, directors, etc. and 2 professors were helping us: Professor Caratozzolo and Professor Nicolini."

155005Class 3AProfessor Vittorio Caratozzolo 

One film, "Pestis Muliebris," stands out as a testament to their dedication. Despite the challenges and the time-consuming nature of the project, the students embraced the opportunity to delve into a significant topic—the story of women in medicine. With the help of their art professor, they brought their vision to life, creating a powerful narrative that resonated with audiences. As one student, Margherita,  recalls, "Every video was a different experience, with new emotions and new arguments to learn. Pestis Muliebris was the one we spent more time on. We had to learn scripts and we had to shoot scenes more than once."

Seeing their films showcased at the MY HERO International Film Festival fills these students with pride and joy. To have their hard work acknowledged on such a prestigious platform is a validation of their creativity and dedication. It's not just about winning awards; it's about knowing that their voices are being heard and their stories are making an impact. As one student, Elisa, expresses, "Receiving recognition and appreciation from a jury and audience is an amazing opportunity for us. It confirms the creativity and effort we put into our filmmaking, and motivates us to keep pursuing our passion."

For these students, MY HERO is more than just a festival—it's a transformative experience. It's an opportunity to explore new horizons, to learn about different cultures, and to realize the power of storytelling in effecting change. Through their films, they discover the importance of empathy, understanding, and the value of their own voices. As another student, Eugenia, shares, "I think MY HERO is a gorgeous way to interest young people and mostly students to explore the world of cinematography, art and music! I believe that the creation of films is really important to experience something new and adventurous, to learn how other people around the world works."

In the eyes of these students, MY HERO is a unique and valuable project because it connects people from all walks of life. It transcends borders and boundaries, uniting individuals through the universal language of film. It empowers them to believe in themselves, to embrace their creativity, and to aspire to greatness. As they continue their filmmaking journey, these students carry with them the lessons learned and the experiences gained from their participation in the MY HERO International Film Festival. They are not just filmmakers; they are storytellers, change-makers, and heroes in their own right. And with each film they create, they inspire others to dream, to explore, and to make a difference.