Itzhak Perlman

by Kevin Hu from San Diego, California

134096Itzhak Perlman Violinisthttps://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Itzhak_Perlman_violinist_1984.jpg“Even the 'real world' heroes of our popular culture seems to operate on planes where various kinds of magic are at work” (Fleming). In his article “Superman on the Couch: What Superheroes Really Tell Us about Ourselves and Our Society,” Fleming highlights how modern society muddles upstanding heroes with celebrities idolized by media stereotypes. Heroism is the contribution to the development of society and an engraving of modern morals and ethics. A true hero worthy of recognition is one who acts on their own accord for the benefit of others and leaves a lasting impact on the way others think and act. From the bipartisan politician who prioritizes the nation over electoral votes to generous anonymous donors who care more about the result than publicity, a hero does not submit to the greed for recognition or fulfillment of others’ expectations. In order for someone to act on their own accord and not oblige to greedy expectations of others, they must have a passion for beliefs and concern for the needs of others.

As a man who has performed in prestigious international concert halls and children shows such as Sesame Street, Itzhak Perlman is the textbook definition of someone whose passion as a stage performer and concern for others enable him to benefit society. Itzhak Perlman is a distinguished violinist who fought on behalf of the handicapped for accessibility rights and eventually received the Medal of Freedom from President Obama in 2015. He was born on August 31st, 1945, in Tel Aviv, and showed an interest in music from an early age. However, at the age of four, he was struck by polio and was confined to crutches. Despite his disability, Itzhak Perlman pursued his passion for music. He was scouted during a talent search and represented Israel on the Ed Sullivan Caravan of the Stars during its tour of the United States. Later, he won the prestigious Leventritt Award in 1964 and continued to perform as a soloist with distinguished orchestras in famous venues, such as Carnegie Hall. Outside of performing, Itzhak Perlman established the Perlman Music Program with his wife, Toby Perlman, which offers music education opportunities for promising young musicians. Throughout his career, Itzhak Perlman was a strong advocate for the handicapped and redirected many of his prize funds towards accessibility rights for the handicapped and music education-related purposes. Itzhak Perlman often faced the doubt of critics on his success as a performer due to his disability. However, his passion for the essence of the music drove him to pursue a greater meaning outside of performing: to share his passion. Perlman qualifies as a modern hero worthy of recognition because his roaring passion for his craft reshapes the public image of the violin, and his innate concern for the needs of others enables him to use his celebrity status to offer assistance for those without a voice.

134097Ed Sullivan and Itzhak Perlman 1958https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Ed_Sullivan_-_Itzhak_Perlman_1958.jpgEven though his disability overshadows his stage presence, Itzhak Perlman’s passion for his music lets him persevere through obstacles and share his passion with others. Often in his career, Perlman would face doubt from critics who questioned the reason for his fame. However, sitting down or relying on crutches, Perlman would not allow his disability overshadow his passion for his craft: "We actually got a hold of the reviewer for the concert and he didn’t like it very much, but what was for me most unforgettable was he raised the question: I’m not sure that the standing ovation was because Mr. Perlman was sitting down or if it was because of the way he played. That’s an example of the way people were thinking and I always had to prove myself" (Rogers). Even though critics of Perlman when he was young in his career would find a way to excuse the virtuoso as just another sob story success, Perlman would always want to “prove himself.” Itzhak Perlman persists in shaping the opinions of others through the way he plays when he “proves himself” rather than his disability, which showcases his passion. His innate determination to be recognized for his own effort is unlike others idolized by the media, making him a notable figure. Additionally, Itzhak Perlman’s passion for his craft allows him to communicate to a large audience: “But Perlman was the most comfortable as a showman and violin ambassador. He could be on PBS' ‘Live From Lincoln Center’ and ‘Sesame Street,’ and he was happy to help in the evolution of the klezmer, and recorded the theme to ‘Schindler's List’” (Baer). As a celebrity in the world of music, Itzhak Perlman’s influence allows him to communicate and connect with others through shows like ‘Live From Lincoln Center’ and ‘Sesame Street’. Perlman often does so through his violin: inspiring children, highlighting Jewish history, and entertaining varieties of audiences. His dedication and commitment to his passion for music enables him to effectively communicate with a variety of audiences over the television and live and reshape the image of violin performing despite his limited stage presence, making him a hero. Perlman demonstrates that without passion, a hero is powerless to act towards their purpose. Because of Perlman’s passion for his craft, he is able to leave a lasting impact on multiple audiences and set a standard for a community of musicians and entertainers.

Itzhak Perlman’s concern for others despite a successful individual career separates him from others and allows him to be a source of comfort and reliability for the less fortunate. Itzhak Perlman demonstrates his concern for others through his public appearance opportunities as an influential figure in music: “Perlman also attends programs for children and other public events meant to spread appreciation for music. He has used such appearances to speak out on behalf of the handicapped for improved access to public buildings and transportation, and he has supported aid to the handicapped through several hospitals, foundations, and educational programs, even funding a scholarship for musically talented disabled children” (Baer). Even as a disabled celebrity often accommodated for, Perlman still displays his concern for the handicapped and their lack of accessibility throughout modern infrastructure. Although his own needs are often satisfied for him, Perlman utilizes his role as an influential figure for the benefit of others, proving his worth for modern recognition as a hero. Furthermore, Perlman’s performance to pay tribute to victims at the Tree of Life synagogue displays his compassion for others. In a response previewing the concert, Perlman states, “‘Music is one of the most beautiful products of humanity,’ Mr. Perlman said in a phone interview earlier in the day. ‘When you see something that represents the worst of humanity, you want to confront it with some of the best of humanity. That’s what this evening is about’” (Reynolds). As a hero passionate about his craft and its powerful influence, Perlman uses his violin to comfort others in remembrance of a loss. His urge to comfort others along with a sense of responsibility to pay tribute to something that didn’t directly impact himself shows his compassion and concern for others. Perlman’s selflessness in assisting others in a less favorable position than himself makes him a notable hero deserving of recognition.

134099Itzhak Perlman lost in his musichttps://www.flickr.com/photos/pennstatelive/4947317241A hero represents the pinnacle of modern ideals and morals. A hero is not perfect; however, they are simply a glimpse into what defines “better” in a society. A hero spins their flaws and weaknesses into strengths that make them effective leaders among society. They find a passion that ignites within them a purpose to develop society towards something they believe in. They show concern for the needs of others and show compassion towards others during times of crisis. Itzhak Perlman is an embodiment of both these traits, utilizing his influence as a celebrity to act as a voice for the disabled, an ambassador for the violin and classical music, and as a performer. His passion for music drove him past his disability and allowed him to overcome the harsh expectations and doubts of critics. Perlman’s concern for others during times of crisis along with the unprivileged drove him to unite and speak out for them. As a musician in a genre now related to sappiness and headaches, I often ponder the purpose of the music I play outside of satisfying parental expectations. After being introduced to Itzhak Perlman and seeing how he empowers others, not only through his prodigious, passionate playing but through his overwhelming aura of wisdom and caring, he made me rethink the purpose of my playing and where I can direct my countless hours of practice towards. Because of him, I have connected more with my community through outreach programs and performing for my own satisfaction. Itzhak Perlman is somebody who is deserving of recognition as an ideal hero of modern society through his passion for what he believes in along with his concern for others, making him a role model towards making society a better place for all.  

Baer, A. (2019). Rethinking Itzhak Perlman on the eve of his 70th birthday. https://www.latimes.com/entertainment/arts/la-ca-cm-itzhak-perlman-20150712-story.html

Fleming, James R. “Superman on the Couch: What Superheroes Really Tell Us about Ourselves and Our Society.” English Department Website, https://imagetext.english.ufl.edu/archives/v2_2/reviews/fleming.shtml

"Itzhak Perlman." Contemporary Musicians, vol. 37, Gale, 2002. Biography In Context, https://link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/K1608003292/BIC?u=powa9245&sid=BIC&xid=3b5b77e8.

Reynolds, Jeremy. “Critic's Notebook: PSO, Violinist Itzhak Perlman Pay Tribute to Synagogue Victims.” Gazette, www.post-gazette.com/ae/music/2018/11/28/Itzhak-Perlman-Pittsburgh-Symphony-Orchestra-concert-Tree-of-Life-tribute/stories/201811270179.

Rogers, Ray. “World's Greatest Living Violinist Itzhak Perlman on Anti-Semitism, Trump, Obama & New Documentary.” Billboard, 9 Nov. 2017, www.billboard.com/articles/news/8030250/itzhak-perlman-interview-documentary-anti-semitism-trump-obama.

Warner Classics / Erato, Jean-Michel. “Biography Itzhak Perlman // Biography.” Warner Classics, www.warnerclassics.com/itzhak-perlman/bio.

http://www.itzhakperlman.com/ - Itzhak Perlman's official website