Jimi Hendrix

by Charles from Centereach, New York

Jimi Hendrix playing guitar
Jimi Hendrix playing guitar

A hero is a person that you look up to, and want to be like. My hero is Jimi Hendrix. Jimi Hendrix is a very skilled, determined, and outgoing musician. Even though he had a rough childhood, he has become one of the greatest known guitarists. A hero is a very important thing to have because, even though heroes come and go, they are very influential.

Jimi Hendrix was the first born child in his family. He was born November 27, 1942, at King County Hospital. His mother, Lucille Hendrix, was very ecstatic when her baby boy, with blue eyes and a lot of hair, was born. Jimi’s father was also ecstatic when he heard his son was being born, even though he couldn’t make it to the hospital. His parents didn’t know it, but, a legend was born.

Jimi Hendrix's guitar (images.usatoday.com)

16 years later “the music begins.” February 2, Jimi got his first guitar. It was beat up, and only had one string. Jimi was determined to fix it, and then play it. Soon Jimi was very interested in music, and he learned a few things he could play. On September 9, his father bought him his first electric guitar, and from then on Jimi wanted to play with a band.

Jimi started a band with a man named Billy Cox. They started a band called the King Kasuals after they got out of the army. Jimi then moved with his grandmother Nora, to Vancouver. In 1966, 4 years later, Jimi Hendrix formed another band called Jimmy James and the Blue Flames. Jimi Hendrix was part of many bands.

Later, on October 13, 1966, Jimi became part of the band he is most famous for, The Experience. On November 2, The Experience made its first album. Then The Experience worked on their second single “Purple Haze”, in 1967. April 4, 1967, was the last day of recording for Experience’s debut album “Are You Experienced.” Jimi Hendrix became even more famous after these albums.

In 1970, Jimi Hendrix died in the Smarkland Hotel in London at the age of 28. One of the main reasons he died was his use of drugs. This is the thing no one looks up to. During his short life, Jimi Hendrix was known as a “guitar god,” “the master of electric sound and style,” and “king Jimi.” These nick-names were because he was such a great guitarist. His death devastated many people.

Jimi Hendrix is my hero. As a guitarist, I look up to a man of such skill. Even though he isn’t alive, people like me love, and look up to Jimi Hendrix. I hope to be as great of a musician as Jimi Hendrix. Jimi Hendrix is my hero.