Jackie Robinson

by Matt from Montvale

When Jackie Robinson was a teenager in California he faced prejudice because of his skin. He overcame adversity by directing his anger to sports. In his later years he worked hard and became the first African-American Major League Baseball player. He would not have gotten into the pros if he were not determined and courageous. A hero can be anyone who is special to you and that is your role model. Jackie Robinson is one of my heroes because I like sports and I strongly believe in fighting for what you believe in. He also set major records in baseball including batting average, stolen bases, and was inducted in to the baseball Hall of Fame.

Jack Roosevelt Robinson, more commonly known as Jackie Robinson was born on January 31, 1919, in Cairo, Georgia. He was the youngest of five children. He was the grandson of a slave, and his father left the family when he was six months old. After his father had left his family his mother, Mallie Robinson, moved to California to search for work. While was in high school he excelled in sports. He displayed extraordinary athletic skills in high school, excelling in football, basketball, baseball, and track. After helping the Pasadena Junior College win the Junior College Football Championship, Robinson took his athletic prowess to the University of California at Los Angeles and become a top collegiate running back in 1939. Robinson left college before graduating, having used up his athletic eligibility.

Robinson joined the Kansas City Monarchs of the Negro Baseball League in 1945 for four hundred dollars a month. On October 23, 1945, Jackie Signed a contract with Rickey Branch, the general manager of the Brooklyn Dodgers, to play for one of the Dodgers’ farm teams, in the International League. Robinson let his baseball do the talking, and before long he was known as one of the most exciting players in baseball. Eventually, Robinson got brought up to the Brooklyn Dodgers, Major League baseball team. Soon fans both black and white were filling ballparks to see him in action, and the Dodger set new attendance records. Despite the adversity and prejudice Robinson faced, he led the league in the stolen bases and was named the Rookie of the Year. His play kept improving, reaching a peak in 1949 when his skills earned him a batting title and Most Valuable Player (MVP) award. He had a string of six consecutive seasons batting over .300 and became known for his daring steals of home. In 1950 Robinson was paid an annual salary of thirty-five thousand dollars, which was top in Dodgers history, and had a movie made about his life open in theaters. Robinson’s glory years as a player came to an end by the mid-1950s.

Jackie Robinson became one of baseball’s greats finishing with a career batting average of .311 and nineteen careers steals of home; the most by any player of his era. After his career Robinson’s health declined dramatically. He had to begin receiving insulin shots for diabetes and at one point went into a diabetic coma. In his later years the diabetic condition would take away his sight in one eye and significantly reduce his sight in the other. After his retirement he became a successful businessman and active supporter of political causes, devoting much of his time to make the life for African-Americans better. In 1962 Robinson was elected into the Baseball Hall of Fame in his first year of eligibility. The cruelest blow to Robinson occurred in 1971, when his son Jackie Jr., died in a car accident. Three years earlier, the younger Robinson had been arrested for heroin possession due to the addiction he had developed and later kicked-after being wounded in Vietnam. Jackie Sr. remained active in national drug campaigns against addiction up to his own death. In 1972 Robinson was honored by being asked to throw out the opening pitch in the second game of the 75th World Series at Riverfront Stadium in Cincinnati. Although still in his early 50s, Robinson was shaky physical health by this time. He had survived one heart attack, and his body had suffered from year of diabetes and high blood pressure. After his ceremonial toss at the World Series, he collapsed at his home in Connecticut, and died later that day on October 24, 1972.

Jackie Robinson always went his own ways, answering his own instincts and was always ready to over come adversity. He opened up many opportunities for blacks in the United States and became one of the best baseball players whoever to lived. His courage and determination to do what he though was right is an inspiration to me and that makes him one of my role models.

Biography.com - A&E Biographies
Jackie Robinson Image Gallery - Good site for Pictures