Janja Garnbret

by Larissa Auer from Ljubljana in Slovenia

My hero Janja Garnbret is a professional rock climber from Slovenia. She was born to climb. When

she was very young and her parents did not know that sport climbing actually exist she climbed

everywhere like chairs, tables, wardrobes, doors and later trees. Then her mother realised that she

is born for climbing and brought her to small climbing gym near Velenje. She absolutely loved it and

she was better than other girls, later she won the boys too. She had won mostly every competition

she went to and at the age of 15, she became world youth climbing champion. When she was 17 she

became the world champion in lead climbing. She improved herself and two years later, in the year

2018 she won the golden medal in combination and wore a name the World champion again. Last

year she had also graduated. She took one year off and in the year 2019 she has already won five

world cups out of five.

She is not my hero because of her physical abilities but her “brain power”. She inspires me because

of her mental strength and solidity in competitions. She is intent to win and her focus lasts to the last

move. I am trying to learn from her and improve myself watching her skills. I believe she is not only

my idol but also because people love watching her climbing and they usually stay speechless. She never gives

up, stays focused and believes in herself. This is why she succeeds and became a hero.