Jaycee Dugard

by Raven Skidmore from San Diego, California in United States

“To begin a redefinition of the American hero...is an act of will that says that whatever else we may actually be, it's to this that we aspire”(Granger). As a society, we tend to look up to people that show us an ideal version of ourselves. Whatever traits we lack, we seek in others.Those we determine worthy of our admiration usually possess the traits that are absent in us. We look up to these people as role models, giving us an idea of who we truly strive to be. In my opinion, a heroic person is someone who overcomes an obstacle in a strong and powerful way. Defeating a setback may be seen when a company goes through financial struggles and in time is able to gain profits, or when a student who struggles with a concept in school ends up getting an A on the test. As long as a genuine effort is put forth, he or she is heroic. What makes someone a hero is choosing to turn their experiences into a way to benefit others. Using the challenge to not only better themself, but to better the lives of others.

126443Jaycee's bookshttps://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/industry-news/tip-sheet/article/71116-staff-pick-a-stolen-life-and-freedom-by-jaycee-dugard.htmlJaycee Dugard took an unimaginable situation and used it to guide others through obstacles. Born on May 3rd 1980, Jaycee Dugard lived a normal life through her elementary school years. She had a loving mother, a baby sister, and a step-father. On June 10th 1991, 11 year old Jaycee walked to school in her small town of Lake Tahoe. A woman and a man approached her. They tasered her and put her in the back of his car. This man and woman took her to a small backyard where they would imprison her for 18 years. The man was Phillip Garrido and the woman was his wife, Nancy Garrido. For Jaycee’s entire captivity, Phillip mentally, physically and sexually abused her. Jaycee was impregnated by him twice, and gave birth to two children inside a tiny shed. She taught and raised them the best she could only having a 5th grade education. Finally, in 2009, she was discovered, released with her children, and able to see her mom. After months of therapy, Jaycee decided to write a book reliving everything that happened to her. She entitled it “A Stolen Life” and it discusses everything she went through in all those traumatic years. She also started the JAYC foundation (Just Ask Yourself to Care), which helps others going through their own obstacles.  In order to persevere after something like this in such an inspirational way, one must be caring and have the ability to look on the bright side of things. These two qualities are what I look for in a hero because I wish to see more of them in myself. Jaycee demonstrates both traits throughout her book and through her actions towards others. Most people would consider surviving a kidnapping heroic, but Jaycee did not just survive, she thrived after, turning her experience into a way to help others prosper.

Jaycee’s optimistic spirit empowered her to survive captivity and tell her story, teaching others how to overcome grievous situations. Throughout her kidnapping Jaycee constantly talked about how she was grateful for what she was living with because she knew she had more than others: “While I was there I would always tell myself it could be worse; there are so many people in this world with worse situations than mine”(Dugard 49). Jaycee endures this awful experience and all she thinks about is how it “could be worse.” She looked on the bright side and thought about how people have it worse than her rather than letting the situation consume her and cause depression. Her optimism gave her the strength to persevere and thus be able to help others in the end. By displaying how she thought through things and conquered issues Jaycee is truly helping them prosper, making her heroic. If her optimism were to have vanished, she would not be anywhere near where she is today. In a reflection in her book, Jaycee describes why she does not let the past affect the way she sees the world: “The sun is not always shining for countless families. I know there are cruel people in this world...But haven’t I been with two of the cruelest and survived? I feel whatever I choose to do with my life I must not be afraid to live” (Dugard 249). Jaycee does not view her experience as an event to dwell on. Instead she decided to continue on with her life and not be fearful, “whatever I choose to do...I must not be afraid to live.” She thought positively saying that she’s been with the worst, but she survived. This proves to others that they can move on after a traumatic experience, no matter how difficult. She could have viewed living in a negative light, letting the situation consume her for the rest of her life. Instead, she was optimistic, and saw it as a task she must not be afraid of. Jaycee’s book may be used as a guidance tool for some, and reading how Jaycee stayed positive throughout everything is inspiring. It is something people look up to. Her optimism allowed her the strength to overcome her weakness, and that is what is inspiring to people.

126446Jaycee loves animalshttps://authorspotlight.wordpress.com/2016/07/25/book-review-jaycee-dugards-freedom/Jaycee Dugard selflessly shared her story and her ideas to assist others in need. Jaycee worked hard in therapy trying to move on after she escaped, however writing her book forces her to re-live everything. This would be challenging and most people would give up when the writing process became rough, but Jaycee stuck with it and shared her motivations on why with us: “I’m also writing this book in hopes it will be of help to someone going through, hopefully not similar conditions but someone facing a difficult situation of their own”(Dugard X). Even though the book was demanding of her time and emotions, she persisted, all to aid people with an obstacle of their own. Jaycee wrote in hopes that the book would benefit others, proving her selflessness. People may now look to it for advice in persistence; seeing Jaycee move on to write a bestseller after a long journey of therapy and overcoming fears is inspirational. She is a hero because she wrote the book for the sole purpose of helping others. On Jaycees website, she explains how her foundation is supposed to help others: “The mission is to be of service to families that have suffered a familial or non-familial abduction or other trauma; to spread the message of compassion and awareness through educational programs”(Jaycee Dugard). Jaycee created her whole foundation in hopes of helping others and making others happy. She wants to “spread the message of compassion.” She once again selflessly gives up her time and energy to assist others their own in trauma filled experiences. Jaycee’s whole foundation proves to others that you don’t have to let an event consume the rest of your life. She certainly did not let her circumstance consume her. She instead used it as a way to benefit society, establishing her heroism. Through her book and the JAYC foundation, Jaycee found a way to move forward in her life and help others move forward in their lives.

Jaycee thrived after her kidnapping, supporting others by helping them prosper, and creating several platforms to encourage advancing in life. Jaycee used her optimism to help her survive the situations at hand, but in writing about it, others can learn that optimism is a survival tool. Jaycee also used her selflessness to purposefully, and directly help people. Jaycee inspires people because she didn’t just move on from her experience, she took what happened to her and created a way to service anyone in need: “The JAYC foundation will be set up to support families...My hope is to provide counseling and housing for families and victims of abductions and exploitations…”(Dugard 267-268). Jaycee could have easily just focused on herself and her own personal recovery, but she puts others before herself. To me a hero is someone who turns a terrible experience into a way to benefit others and Jaycee Dugard does just that. I went through a hard time in my life where money was scarce, and my family and I lived off EBT cards. Our experience with getting back on our feet was difficult but what Jaycee made me realize through her book is that a small portion of my life should not define me. I have a choice and I am able to move on with my life. Jaycee Dugard lives her life today as normal and humane as she can. She celebrates her life with a positive attitude, and with my life I would like to follow her example.  

Dugard, Jaycee Lee. A Stolen Life: a Memoir. Simon & Schuster, 2011.

Dugard, Jaycee. “About Us.” The JAYC Foundation, thejaycfoundation.org/about-us/.

Granger, David. “Boy, Do We Ever Need a Hero.” Nov. 1998.