Jaycee Lee Dugard

by Abby Vandling from San Diego, California in United States

123142Jaycee a couple months before kidnappedmercurynews.com“I was a child of the eighties, whose velvet headband and asymmetrical ponytail remind me of any number of photos of my school friends from the same decade.“ (Dugard). Jaycee Lee Dugard was living a retro life, she was an 11 year old girl who just moved to South Lake Tahoe. She hardly knew anyone except her friend Shawnee who she just met. She enjoyed playing with her little sister, riding her bike, dressing up, and spending time with her mom. She did not have a good relationship with her stepdad. Her stepdad would never let her walk to the bus stop alone. However, one day her parents finally let her walk to the bus stop alone which happened to be the day Phillip Garrido swooped her off the streets on her way to school. Her survival story and strength shows us what a hero she is. Jaycee is a hero because of her optimistic worldview and the empowerment she provided to others.

123177Phillip and Nancy GarridoLifeDailyJaycee Dugard spent 18 years in captivity. A little after the 18th year, she managed to escape from her kidnapper’s home. What happened in that house traumatized her for the rest of her life, in a way that nobody could ever imagine. Coming out of her situation and having an  optimistic mindset was crucial. Jaycee shows that with optimism, you can still move on from a tragic event and understand there is good in life. "Life doesn't have to end if you don't want it to. It's all in how you look at it. Somehow, I still believe that we each hold the key to our own happiness and you have to grab it where you can in whatever form it might take." (Dugard). When Jaycee returned home with her two daughters, she didn’t know what life would be like and if her daughters would be welcomed into the new life waiting for them since she was so used to being treated without respect. Jaycee states, “Now, seven years after her release, the 36-year-old is rebuilding her life and raising her daughters. One daughter is in college; the other will start soon. And Dugard couldn't be prouder. ‘I'm so excited for them and so proud of all the challenges they have overcome,’ she told People.” (Fogle). In this excerpt, we can see that Jaycee’s daughters were able to overcome their early childhood trauma and adapt to their new life and assimilate into the lifestyle of their peers. It was a whole new world for them, being around people who treated them like respectable adults, having a safe roof over their heads, and proper meals.  This quote also exemplifies the determination Jaycee had to rebuild her life in a positive way rather then apprehending her past and living the rest of her life, and her daughter’s lives, in fear. As Jaycee moved on from her past she wrote a nonfiction novel about her life in captivity. She wanted the world to read, and feel, what it was like to be held captive for all of those years and how she managed to be a strong and optimistic woman, “Dugard wrote a memoir about her ordeal. A Stolen Life was published in July of 2011. She participated in an interview with ABC News, appearing upbeat and optimistic for the most part. The interview aired days before the release of the book. Dugard, then 31, said she hoped to study writing.”(Biography in Context, “Jaycee Dugard”). While reading A Stolen Life I noticed vivid details Jaycee incorporated about escaping and reaching the point of comfort in life when there wasn’t a need to be scared anymore. In the novel, Jaycee repeatedly stated how much this scarred her and for her to survive and feel normal and happy again is an impressive accomplishment. A Stolen Life provided graphic scenes and details that no human should ever have to go through. One scene that was heartbreaking to read was when Jaycee found out she was pregnant with her first child. Jaycee, scared and clueless as to what was happening to her body, was 13 the first time she became pregnant. She was tenacious, continued to stay strong, and always had the mindset of positivity even when she felt like giving up. If it weren't for her optimism, she wouldn’t be where she is today, successful and happy. To conclude, years later Jaycee Dugard shows that with optimism, you can still move forward from a tragic event and understand there is good in life.

123149Jaycee, her captors (Phillip and Nancy), and her home for 18 yearsThoughtCoNot only did Jaycee continue to be optimistic, but she also became an empowering female figure worldwide. Her voice was heard and acknowledged by thousands who now hear her pain and look up to her. Jaycee wasn’t just a girl who got kidnapped, she was also a girl who got taken advantage of for a man’s pleasure. Currently, there is a lot of attention focused on men getting what they want and taking advantage of women, but unfortunately when Jaycee was kidnapped there was not the same amount of attention focused on this issue. Now, with her story, she can make sure others are aware of this issue and hope to prevent similar situations. ”But she works hard to not give in to regret or anger — and focus on what all that is ahead of her. ‘I didn't want to give one more minute to Phillip and Nancy … they took 18 years of my life,’ Dugard said. ‘It's taken a lot of time and it doesn't come overnight. You have to put in the hard work and cry and for sure laugh about everything you can.’” (Dugard) In this quote we can see the true emotions that Jaycee is feeling. Not only does it show how it made her feel, but also how she intends to move on and share her story. She knows that others out there could be dealing with situations similar to what happened to her during her captivity and she wants to help. This quote also shows how she works hard not to give in to regret or anger, meaning she tries exceptionally hard to forget the bad and use it to motive herself and others around her. The Garridos, who fed her countless lies and largely prohibited her contact with the outside world, brainwashed her into believing that they were her family and that nobody, besides them, cared for her anymore. During that time she wrote in a journal frequently, documenting deep depression, fear, loneliness and feelings of being "unloved." She constantly wondered about her family members and whether they were searching for her. After the Garrido’s cut off any relationships she still had with the outside world, she slowly started to believe that her real family gave up on her. The severely depressed victim grew to cherish any human interaction, even that from her kidnappers. Jaycee didn't know how to leave, and after years of lies from her captors about her family's lack of love for her, she wasn't even sure whether she had anyone to flee to. Phillip Garrido held “runs” which were sex sessions with Jaycee one or twice a week to help with his sex problem. After years of the runs, Jaycee became pregnant at the age of 13. In the Novel, A Stolen Life, Jaycee explains the fear she had when she realized she was pregnant. “I am stunned and scared. What was going to happen to me? What was going to happen to the baby? I knew babies were delivered in a hospital. After all, that was where my mom and dad had delivered my little sister. I wonder how I could possibly have a baby in this place.” (Dugard 98). She had to learn the ropes on how to cooperate with the Garridos for 18 years especially when she needed to depend on them when she was pregnant. She eventually shared all of this with the world to prove that people, who do or have gone through the same sort of trouble, aren’t alone and that they have a voice and can be heard. If Jaycee can do it, so can they. Not only was Jaycee optimistic, but she also moved many with her empowering traits. Her voice was heard and acknowledged by thousands who now understand her pain and look up to her.

Jaycee Dugard is a hero because she overcame a tragic and horrific personal experience and now has an optimistic worldview and embodies empowerment that she provides to others. She is an inspiration because even after managing 18 years in brutal conditions, she has managed to move on, build relationships with her family and friends, and continue her life just like anyone else. After exposing her story to the world, readers all over  were able to take in and comprehend the appalling events she went through. Situations like hers can be fatal and nearly impossible to overcome, but with years of her optimistic attitude and empowerment, it shows how much of a hero Jaycee Dugard truly is.

Works Consulted

“Jaycee Dugard Biography.” The Biography.com Website, go.galegroup.com/ps/i.do?p=BIC&u=powa9245&id=GALE|A311652820&v=2.1&it=r&asid=4e37b209

"Jaycee Dugard." Gale Biography in Context, Gale, 2012. Biography In Context, https://link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/K1650008046/BIC?u=powa9245&sid=BIC&xid=fcc8b59d. Accessed 27 Mar. 2018.   

"Jaycee Lee Dugard: a new definition of 'heart-warming'." Telegraph Online, 28 Aug. 2009. Biography In Context, https://link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/A311652820/BIC?u=powa9245&sid=BIC&xid=4f3202d3. Accessed 26 Mar. 2018.     

Fogle, Asher. “Watch Jaycee Dugard Talk About Reclaiming Her Life After Kidnapping.” Good Housekeeping, Good Housekeeping, 21 Mar. 2018, www.goodhousekeeping.com/life/inspirational-stories/news/a39285/jaycee-dugard-now/.

Watch Jaycee Dugard Talk About Reclaiming Her Life After Kidnapping - This website gives more background detail on Jaycee.
Jaycee Dugard Biography - Jaycee's life in more depth.