Jazz Appreciation Month Lesson Plan

Teacher Resources include multi-media for classroom use and a discussion guide with learning outcomes.

Jazz Appreciation Month was established to encourage musicians, schools, colleges, libraries, concert halls, museums, radio and television stations, and other organizations to develop programs to explore, perpetuate, and honor jazz as a national and world treasure.

Jazz Month Lesson Plan

2021 Theme: Women's Impact and Contributions in Jazz

Celebrate women in jazz with the following stories. These women overcame incredible personal odds and found strength inside themselves that translated to their moving music.

Billie Holiday

By: Leroux from Villeurbanne

"No two people on earth are alike, and it's got to be that way in music or it isn't music." Billie Holiday

Bessie Smith

By: Student from Virginia

Bessie Smith, 'Empress of the Blues,' left a rich legacy in jazz, blues and rock and roll with her unparalleled artistry and emotion.

Listen & Read Along

Ella Fitzgerald

By: Julie from Selden

Ella Fitzgerald was the First Lady of Song and used her success to help people of all races, cultures and beliefs.

Audio | Listen to selected Jazz compositions

Billie's Bounce (Charlie Parker)

By: Charlie Parker (1945 Atlantic Music Corp)
This is a rendition of Charlie Parker's acclaimed jazz tune 'Billie's Bounce'. As a musician, I highly look up to Charlie Parker. Nicknamed 'Bird'.

Wild Flower (Wayne Shorter)

By: Wayne Shorter (Blue Note 1965)
Wayne Shorter's 'Wild Flower' is rather unique in the sense that it is one of the few jazz waltzes. In 3/4 time, Wayne's harmonic sensibilities really flourish throughout the chordal changes of the tune. Its original album 'Speak No Evil' was a monumental

Satin Doll

Oscar Peterson performing in Montreal in 2004. One of his last performances.This performance was after his stroke and he's still rocking with only his right hand fully functional. Wow. this would be a great sound for someone with (2) functional hands!

Daahoud (Clifford Brown)

By: Mainstream Records (1973)
We wanted to memorialize this wonderful composition by Clifford Brown as originally recorded by the Clifford Brown and Max Roach Quintet. We reworked it as a slightly more modern piece and extended the improvisations.

Films | Watch short videos featuring the power of jazz music

Herb Alpert Medley

Produced by:Wendy Milette
Herb Alpert performs at the Ann and Jerry Moss Theater at the opening of the Herb Alpert Educational Village in Santa Monica.

Black/White & All That Jazz

Producer: Betty Bailey and Carol Lynde
Herb Jeffries's life is musical, colorful, and fascinating.

Reunited: A Short Film about Music and the Human Spirit

Max Thurlow, Nick Trumble
In this uplifting short film, directed by Max Thurlow and Nick Trumble, Noisey meets 93 year old jazz pianist Edward Hardy.

Playing For Change: Peace Through Music

Producer: Mark Johnson & Jonathan Walls
Playing for Change | Peace through Music

Discussion Questions

How is Jazz different from traditional music? How do jazz musicians create the unique collaborations that become their compositions?

What is it about the improvisational nature of jazz composition that allows the listener to have a truly individual experience? 

Why do you think jazz has endured for nearly a century? What is its power...and its beauty?

Do you compose music? Do you make art? Have you ever choreographed a dance?   Can you relate to the different jazz musicians and their individual creativity and the mastery of their chosen instruments?

Outcomes

Students can listen to the unique nature of jazz music in order to understand the role improvisation and creativity plays in composing a piece of jazz music.

Watching jazz performances in short films allows the viewer to see the unparalleled mastery of their art form that a musician has to have in order to undertake a jazz composition

Reading stories about the lives of these talented unique musicians reveals  the personalities behind this significant category of modern music. In addition, the stories reveal the power of music and the heroic qualities necessary to compose these unique compositions

Looking at visual artists' interpretations of jazz music and the performers gives us an additional window into the soul of jazz.

Stories | Discover the personalities behind the music that has shaped our times

Duke Ellington

By: Wynton Marsalis

From My Hero: Extraordinary People on the Heroes Who Inspire Them: Pulitzer Prize-winning musician Wynton Marsalis writes about his hero, Duke Ellington

Wynton Marsalis

By: The My Hero Project
Wynton Marsalis is dedicated to passing on the benefits of music education to young people.

Scott Joplin

By: Adam from Center Valley
Scott Joplin composed operatic and ragtime music and influenced early jazz.

Louis (Satchmo) Armstrong

By: Yusuke from San Diego

Louis (Satchmo) Armstrong was one of the most successful and influential jazz musicians in history. According to Wynton Marsalis, "You can't play a note on the horn that Louis hasn't already played…" 

Benjamin (Benny) David Goodman

By: Lori from Warsaw, Ohio

Benjamin (Benny) David Goodman, the King of Swing, played the clarinet and  helped launch the careers of many major names in jazz while breaking racial barriers.

Jakarta's International Javajazz Festival

By: Cheryl from Jakarta

Javajazz Festival was born from a dream. A dream to bring jazz musicians from all around the world into one single spot - the Jakarta Convention Center

John Ferguson spreads goodwill for America through the power of music

By: Tibor Krausz <br> Contributor of The Christian Science Monitor<br> <h5>Permi...
Pianist John Ferguson founded American Voices, a nonprofit whose mission is to help aspiring young artists around the world pursue their interest in American jazz, Broadway, break dancing, and classical music.

Musicians and The Civil Rights Movement

By: Stuart Pearlman

Learn more about musicians and the Civil Rights Movement in this report by an intern from Chapman University, Justin Bender

Art | Jazz as Expressed by Visual Artists

Ella Fitzgerald

By: Carl Van Vechten

Aka First Lady of Song, Queen of Jazz, and Lady Ella

Etta James

By: Eddy Crosby

King of jazz

By: Mititelu Maxim

An homage to Louis Armstrong

Use this resource created by the MY HERO Art Gallery Director to learn about artists who were inspired by jazz. Artists often derive inspiration from various media.

Visual Artists inspired by Jazz

By: Giselle Villatoro
Artist often derive inspiration from various media. These are a couple painters who were inspired by Jazz.

Learning Outcomes: Choose multi-media from this lesson plan to use in your classroom. Students will develop a deeper appreciation of jazz's cultural importance after viewing the media and considering the questions in the discussion guide.

Laura Nietzer

The Jazz Appreciation lesson plan was created by MY HERO Education Outreach Director Laura Nietzer.

Smithsonian Jazz
Credit: Smithsonian
A Passion For Jazz: History of Jazz
Credit: A Passion for Jazz
Jazz - Film by Ken Bruns
Credit: PBS

History of Jazz: Scholastic
Credit: Scholastic
Jazz Foundation of America
Credit: Jazz Foundation
National Endowment for the Humanities Lesson Plan: Jazz and World War II
Credit: NEH

Organizer created on 3/21/2019 2:16:15 PM by MY HERO Staff

Last edited 4/6/2021 4:06:48 PM by Laura Nietzer