Jim Kelly

by Elizabeth Paul from Rochester, New York in United States

Jim Kelly, born on February 14th, 1960, has impacted many people's lives in positive ways. Jim Kelly was born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. He played football and basketball throughout high school and continued football in college. He was offered a scholarship to Penn State University but, hating the cold weather, decided to go to the University of Miami, leading the Miami Hurricanes to multiple upsets and national titles. He decided to go pro in 1983 and, during an interview before the draft, he was asked which teams he didn’t want to play for; the Vikings, Packers, and Bills were on the list. The Buffalo Bills had two first-round draft picks, 12 and 14. Luckily, the Bills picked Tony Hunter, a tight end from Notre Dame, as the 12th pick. Kelly initially thought they weren’t going to pick him, but they did. Jim Kelly was the 14th overall pick in the 1983 NFL Draft. He was surprised that Buffalo picked him because it was known that he hated the cold. He went to Buffalo to sign a contract and start his NFL career; however, according to theathletic.com, before he could sign the contract, his agent got a call. He excused himself from the Bills’ office, and to Kelly’s excitement the Houston Gamblers, a USFL team, were calling, asking him to play for them instead. Kelly never signed this Bills contract and flew to Houston to play for the Gamblers. Kelly played for the USFL until they folded in 1986, and Kelly, not done with professional football, decided to go back to the Bills. He played 11 NFL seasons, all with the Bills, leading them to six divisional championships and four consecutive Super Bowls. Kelly was named to five Pro Bowl games, and in 1992 he was inducted into the University of Miami Hall of Fame. In 2001, the Bills retired his number, the first of only three numbers ever retired by the Bills. In 2002, he was inducted into the NFL Hall of Fame and in 2008 the UM Ring of Honor for his college football.

Although his football career is one to remember, he is a hero because of the work he did after his career ended. Kelly’s son, Hunter, born on Jim’s 37th birthday, was diagnosed with Globoid-cell leukodystrophy, or Krabbe disease, an inherited fatal nervous system disease. Most infants with the disease have a life expectancy of 13 months. The Kellys spent every moment they could with Hunter, wanting to make sure he lived the best life he could. Hunter lived longer than the Kellys expected, but on August 5th, 2005 Hunter passed; he was eight years old. The Kellys wanted to make sure every baby was screened for Krabbe disease and that eventually there would be a cure for the terrible disease that has taken away the lives of many children. In 1997, the same year Hunter was born and diagnosed, the Kellys created Hunter’s Hope. With Jim Kelly’s huge platform from his years in football, he brought a lot of attention and awareness to Krabbe disease and other Leukodystrophy diseases. In 2008, Hunter’s Hope and the University of Buffalo partnered up to create the Hunter James Kelly Research Institution (HJKRI). Their research focuses on why Krabbe disease develops; they know that the disease affects the myelin, or white matter, in the brain, which serves as a coating to the nerves. Without myelin, the brain and nervous system cannot communicate. The more they learn about how it develops, the more treatments can be found, and eventually a cure could be found. The HJKRI is working on screening all newborns to help diagnose them in a timely manner. The more babies that are screened, the more types of Leukodystrophies can be found and treated. There are currently over 50 types identified, but half the patients are still without a diagnosis. They are also working to help children with similar diseases. Hunter’s Hope has raised nearly two million dollars for research and to help families affected by the diseases. 

Kelly also does charity work for disabled and disadvantaged kids in Western NY, through a program he created called Kelly for Kids. Kelly has distributed nearly five million dollars to local charities working with kids through this program. He holds special events and meet-ups; all of the proceeds from these events and any donations made go to the charities through the Kelly for Kids Grant application. Kelly often visits these programs that help the kids and answers questions and talks with them. Kelly makes sure the kids have a good childhood even in difficult situations.

When Kelly moved to Buffalo in 1986, he had two missions: to create a championship-worthy team and to make a difference in the community. He succeeded in both. Kelly is a fighter; he fought through four Super Bowl losses in a row. He also survived cancer twice. Kelly never once gave up and continues fighting for a cure for Krabbe's disease and, although they haven’t found it yet, they have made significant progress from where they were when Hunter was born in 1997. He does so much for his community and overall has made Buffalo a better place. Kelly continues to contribute everything he can to make Buffalo the best it can be. Buffalo is such a tight-knit community, with many giving to a charity like Kelly’s. 

138195Jim Kelly jerseyOwn image

The drawing is of the back of one of Kelly’s Bills jerseys. Inside are some of his biggest accomplishments in football and outside of football. These accomplishments include his Hall of Fame years, his draft position, and the records he made in his career. Outside of his football career, he spent his life focused on charity work, creating Hunter’s Hope, Kelly for Kids, HJKRI, and shaping the Buffalo community. The picture really shows what makes Jim Kelly a good role model and hero. He does so much to help and shape the community around him. Kelly never once put himself over anyone else and, even when battling cancer, continued to help his community. The drawing honors all that Jim Kelly has accomplished so far. 

Jim Kelly - Drawing of a Jim Kelly Jersey.