An eccentric man with talents that were out of this world. The legend, Jimi Hendrix led a new genre of rock and his legacy lives today.

Jimi Hendrix

by Dean Templeton from San Diego, California in United States

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix

123561Live in England 1969https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/jimi-hendrix-1942-1970-19701015 There were many fabled guitarists in history, none like Jimi Hendrix. He was a realistic capture of the 1960’s in one outstanding man. Hendrix was known for his enlivening way of playing guitar and overamping, creating an electrifying sound. Hendrix got his first acoustic guitar from his dad when he was only 16 years old, and skillfully taught himself how to play by listening to songs on the radio. His first start was in local jazz bands as a backup guitarist and in making his own band called the King Kasuals. He was first  recognized as a real guitarist in 1964, eventually leading up the band we all know and love from 1966, The Jimi Hendrix Experience, with bandmates Noel Redding and Mitch Mitchell. Due to high race tensions, especially in London, blacks were highly discouraged and not sought after. Hendrix had the courage to be an outgoing person and worked through the difficulties that being a black rockstar had. He stuck to being himself and played his guitar with passion. Throughout Rock N’ Roll history, no guitarist stands out more than Jimi Hendrix. He innovated and created his own genre of rock and funk with his guitar. He proved he was a hero and an inspiration with his courage and love.

123566Psychedelic & Spiritualhttps://www.mojo4music.com/articles/25543/jimi-hendrix-revolution-27-songsBeing a fanciful guitarist, Hendrix portrayed a message of devotion and creativity in a difficult time of war and unrest. He had the courage to spread the bright message he believed in and bettered other peoples lives in the process. “A black superstar in a predominantly white industry and an American who first found success in Great Britain, Hendrix embodied many of the contradictions of the late 1960s music scene. As a guitar player, he single-handedly redefined the genre's most important instrument and was widely considered the best to ever play it” (Jimi Hendrix, Biography). Discrimination was still a problem in the 1960’s and even today. Hendrix fought for acceptance in the music industry and was known for the color of his skin and also for his skill as an artist. While coming from a troubled childhood and enduring the struggle of going through military training, Hendrix related to those who didn't always have it easy, and people who were against the Vietnam War. “In 1961, Hendrix followed in his father's footsteps by enlisting in the United States Army. While training as a paratrooper, Hendrix still found time for music, forming a band named the King Kasuals. Hendrix served in the army until 1962, when he was honorably discharged after injuring himself during a parachute jump” (Jimi Hendrix, Contemporary). Hendrix had an overwhelming passion for the guitar. Even in the military he never gave up on his dream. In and out of bands nothing would end his affection for music. An inspirational and courageous man, Hendrix pushed his aspirations to the limits to spread the joy of yearning through music.

123569Hand in handhttps://pixabay.com/en/jimi-hendrix-hippie-peace-love-2265370/Jimi Hendrix’s music encapsulated the spirit that the 1960’s had. He mixed genres like: rock, jazz, R&B, and psychedelic rock, creating his own hypnotizing sound. With an overall goal of spreading emotion and the joy of music. He understood what living a rough life was like, he knew that music helped him, and he spread sentiment any way he could. “In August of 1969 Hendrix played the Woodstock Festival with an assemblage of fellow musicians and created a triumph of improvisation on "The Star Spangled Banner," complete with rockets, exploding bombs, and victims' shrieks, which many interpreted as a protest against the Vietnam war” (Jimi Hendrix, Encyclopedia). Tension was high in the 60’s caused by the Vietnam War and the unjust reasons behind it. The music at the time really reflected how anti war people felt. Many artists like: Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath, and Led Zeppelin, were all anti war and tried to clear the air to spread the message of: peace, love, and Rock N’ Roll. 60’s rock was all about the prosperity of art. Jimi Hendrix encased that idea in his inventive style and tone. “Arguably the most innovative electric guitarist of all time, he combined the raw passion of the blues, the sonic aggression of hard rock, the aural adventure of psychedelia and modern jazz, and the symphonic lyricism of progressive soul, melding these disparate inclinations into a style that, even when heard in fragments, remains unmistakably his own” (Jimi Hendrix, Galegroup).  The appreciation was all in the music. His respect for the art led him to be one of the greatest, and to create a lustful sound was an amazing achievement. Jimi Hendrix was a passionate person for the things he loved doing and that thing was Rock N’ Roll.

123589Live at Woodstock 1969https://portfolio.lesoir.be/v/culture/musiques/woodstock/8861202_RedacSel1_041064-01-08_jpg_0KO3R58X.JPG.html The 1960’s was a beautiful time for the expansion of friendship. Hendrix was part of the experience of art and music. He was a courageous and loving man. Hendrix was truly himself as an artistic individual. He worked hard on his music and tours and never left his guitars side. Jimi was an inspiration to the entire rock industry, with his mix of genres and versions of playing the guitar. While he put on incredible, magical shows that awed audiences. He was a legendary figure in his position and people looked up to him as an icon. Icons are what inspire people to do better, be better, spread love, and to live life fully. Jimi Hendrix was one of those talented people who was capable of greatness, a hero.

“Jimi Hendrix.” Biography.com, A&E Networks Television, 19 Jan. 2018, www.biography.com/people/jimi-hendrix-9334756.

"Jimi Hendrix." Contemporary Musicians, vol. 2, Gale, 1989. Biography In Context, https://link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/K1608000749/BIC?u=powa9245&sid=BIC&xid=76516e40. Accessed 26 Mar. 2018.

"Jimi Hendrix." Encyclopedia of World Biography, 2nd ed., vol. 7, Gale, 2004, pp. 279-283. Gale Virtual Reference Library, https://link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/CX3404702902/GVRL?u=powa9245&sid=GVRL&xid=36ea0765. Accessed 27 Mar. 2018.

"Jimi Hendrix." St. James Encyclopedia of Popular Culture, Gale, 2013. Biography In Context, https://link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/K2419200532/BIC?u=powa9245&sid=BIC&xid=80

Rolling Stone on the Jimi Hendrix legacy - Another biography on the legend.
Britannica on Jimi Hendrix - Another biography
Unknown facts about Jimi Hendrix - A list of unknown facts