J.J. Watt

by Reid Schattgen from Fredericksburg, Virginia in United States

"Success isn't owned. It's leased, and rent is due every day." (Watt)

119312J.J. WattPinterestIn the National Football League, the headlines of today are more about controversies with the national anthem and the player's protest than the game of Football itself. Often as spectators, we forget that the players are humans and that they have families too. One of the players, Justin James Watt, is a player who carries his city of Houston, his team, and his community on his back. Watt does everything in his power to try to be the best person and leader for his team and city; he inspires people to try to be better versions of themselves. J.J. Watt is my hero because of the way that he is a leader for the communities that he is involved with, his perseverance through his hardships, and the way that he remembers who that helped him get to the NFL. He makes sure to pay it back.

Watt is a leader at practice and is always working on his own game and to help his team improve to become better. “It [Watt] obviously sets a tone for the entire team" (Silver). That was a coach of J.J. Watt talking about what happened on the practice field. Watt, when asked about his leadership, responded with, “Not everybody has this kind of sole focus that I have right now. And you need to realize that as a leader. And you need to get the most you can get out of a guy, without trying to change somebody” (Silver). This shows how Watt, although focused on trying to win, realizes how busy some of his teammates are. He does not want to change who they are, just to try to make them better people and better players.

Often Watt reflects on how he needs to improve, although he already has an impressive resume that includes being a three-time defensive player of the year, four-time pro bowl, a four-time first team all pro, and a handful of NFL records in his five years of playing. What Watt is worried about, is missing the fun. He told a reporter, “I don't want to look back on these years and think, man, I should have enjoyed that more. I'm actually focusing on working hard at having more fun, and I'm trying to enjoy the moment more" (Silver). J.J. has always been focused on improving himself and those around him, so much so that he sometimes forgets to enjoy life. He is now trying to take a more relaxed attitude where he still improves and works hard, but he also savors the moments that he has because not everyone obtains the opportunity to play a sport that they love for a job.

As a leader for the Houston Texans, people are always watching to see what he is doing, so he is constantly working on improving his game. People take notice, like a coach when Watt was a rookie saying that Watt would be in the Hall of Fame one day. Watt’s response was, “When he said that, that was before I had really done much at all, so I think that comment kind of made the world step back and say, 'This guy's crazy; why would he say that about a first-year player?’” (Silver). This is the way that Watt carries himself on and off the field. He takes the compliments, but does not let it go to his head. He knows that he can be better and will work on it until he proves it.

Watt will always be working on how he can improve; he has had to face some setbacks, and for professional athletes like J.J. Watt, there will be injuries. He does not let these injuries define who he is as a person or player; he works even harder to become a better player and person. In the past two seasons, Watt has dealt with two season-ending injuries. After just three weeks in the 2016 season, he injured his back and did not play another snap that season. Although he was injured, that did not stop him from being a part of the team. Watt stayed on the sideline and cheered on his teammates into their short postseason run. This injury, although devastating was not enough to keep him from returning even stronger. He would work all year on becoming stronger and prepared to come back to dominate like he did before.

Then, after playing just five games in the 2017 season, he tore his tibial plateau fracture in his left leg. After being carted off the field, he sent a tweet out saying, “I can't sugarcoat it, I am devastated. All I want to do is be out there on that field for my teammates and this city. I'm sorry” (Twitter). This shows how much J.J. Watt cares about not just the game of football, but his city and the fans. He recently walked for the first time following his surgery. After this second injury, while devastating again, Watt has indicated that he will continue to persevere and show his love for the fans and the sport of football. When he is interacting with the fans through social media or commercials, it is incredible to see the work that he can do. The way that a coach puts it is, “With Jay, it's not, 'Do it till I get it right,' it's, 'I'm gonna do it till I never get it wrong'” (Silver). This attitude makes him an even better competitor and person. He does not want to be able to do something halfway. Once he sets his mind to it, Watt will complete the task until he cannot forget how to do it.

119313Watt Visits ChildrenGreerWatt’s hard work ethic helps him in his life too. He never forgets those who helped him get to where he is and that he has an incredible opportunity to influence a great deal of children. Watt, who is always trying to do whatever it takes to help individuals around him, once went to a local hospital dressed up as Batman to surprise a fan. Watt enjoys spending time with children whenever possible. He knows these small actions that Watt takes will leave a lifelong impression on children, just as someone else did for him as a child.

One of those people was his fourth-grade teacher. When Mrs. Keefe announced her retirement Watt came in and surprised her with a cake. Mrs. Keefe stayed connected with Watt by working with Watt and his charity foundation which provides money for after-school athletic programs. When a reporter was speaking with Mrs. Keefe she said, “He was always a positive role model” (Loggins). She told Watt from a young age that he could play in the NFL and inspired him to continue to reach his fullest potential.

Very recently, Watt has been focused on a new charity project, The Hurricane Harvey Relief Fund. After Hurricane Harvey hit the Houston area, Watt reached out via Instagram and started a fundraiser where his goal was to raise $200,000. Watt started with a donation of his own, $100,000. This goal was met quickly and Watt increased the goal, which was met again and again. His final fundraising total was over $37,000,000. Watt expressed his gratitude and is keeping his donors involved with what is happening through his social media platform. This fundraiser will not provide enough for the city of Houston to rebuild, but it will provide a building block and brought over two-hundred thousand people together to support the same cause. This was all that Watt was trying to do with his fundraiser. He wanted to begin to rebuild the devastation that came with Hurricane Harvey.     

119314Watt Meet Young FanDanielsThe world always seems like there is something detrimental occurring, but if we were to pause and appreciate the people who are trying their best and using their resources to try to bring joy to this world. People like J.J. Watt who has demonstrated the characteristics of a hero and will be remembered for what he did on the field playing football but also for the person that he was off the field. We can learn a lesson from J.J. Watt about his leadership, his perseverance, and his giving mindset. If we as humans were to do better to be more like J.J. Watt then we could come closer as a community and fix some of the issues that we are having; we just need some people to step up and inspire those around them, like J.J. Watt. 

@J.J.Watt “I can't sugarcoat it, I am devastated. All I want to do is be out there on that field for my teammates and this city. I'm sorry.” Twitter, 9 Oct. 2017, 6:16 a.m., https://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/10/houston-texans-jj-watt-injury-diagnosis-tweet-im-sorry-heartbreaking-fan-reaction.  Loggins, Brittany. “Watch J.J. Watt Surprise His 4th-Grade Teacher at Her Retirement Party.”TODAY.com, TODAY, 4 Apr. 2017, www.today.com/popculture/watch-jj-watt-surprise-his-4th-grade-teacher-her-retirement-t110006. Silver, Michael. “The Unbelievable Life of J.J. Watt.” NFL.com, Sept. 2015, www.nfl.com/lifeofwatt. Wagner-McGough @seanjwagner, Sean. “J.J. Watt's Final Fundraiser Total for Hurricane Harvey Relief Tops $37 Million.” CBSSports.com, 15 Sept. 2017, www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/j-j-watts-final-fundraiser-total-for-hurricane-harvey-relief-tops-37-million/. “J.J. Watt Gets Merica.” Pinterest, 18 Nov. 2013, www.pinterest.com/pin/321585229625771933.   Andrew Daniels “J.J. Watt Visits Young Hero Who Saved His Siblings In a Car Crash.” Men's Health, 11 Jan. 2017, www.menshealth.com/guy-wisdom/jj-watt-visits-young-boy-in-hospital. Jordan Greer . “J.J. Watt Visits Texas Children's Hospital as Batman.” Sporting News, 16 Oct. 2015, www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/jj-watt-batman-hospital-visit-kids-houston-texans/zv89dqbpqtoi11zjgtlaozuzp.