Joey V 4th

by Harper W. from Charlotte, NC

People, men and women, the dominant race:  God gave us authority for a reason because he knew we had the powers, superpowers,  to regulate this earth. There are people in this world that contain some of the best powers that could ever be imagined. The greatest powers are the ones you are born with -- they are God given, they are your gifts. He created us to change this world or others’ lives for good. And that’s exactly what a particular young man did for me.  No, he may not have super strength or laser vision, but you don’t have to have an amazing power or talent to be labeled as a “superhero.” My babysitter showed me how to use my gifts and impact a person’s lives with just a few words. This is Joey Vachon the fourth.   

Joey is full of unique qualities and characteristics but there has always been this one trait that has stood out about him to me: he made a powerful and lasting impact on my life. He is a drummer in a band called, “Of Good Nature.” I was so excited because i really wanted to learn the drums at this time, which I got lucky. Then, that very next day, we went to his house and I got to observe his drumming set. I was blown away when he said I could play his drum set, which cost around seven-hundred dollars, but he asked me and my brother, “Is there anything you dudes want to do?” There was something in that question that embedded a seed in my head; it took root in my mind then sprouted a tree of dedication and passion.  Just by him allowing me to test his drum set, a single time, he brought a whole new ambition to play this instrument. I asked him, “Would you mind helping me learn how to play drums, just like you?”  Next thing I knew, we were at Guitar Store and browsing the drum section. He seated me at this Alesis Nitro mesh electronic drum set and started right away unveiling his knowledge of this musical contraption. I was amazed to hear he had a passion placed in his heart for this instrument when he was 13 years old.  While still seated at the drum set, he told me to, “Follow [my] dreams, because the only thing that will stop you, is you.” This quote still roams in my mind and at least stays dormant two or three times a day. This has shaped me today where I now have many hobbies that he inspired by simply sitting me down for twenty minutes and teaching me about an instrument; not even anything in depth like the meaning of life but about following your dreams. He changed my life and also showed me the benefits of dedication, hard work, and practice for anything.   

Joey also had “superpowers.” He used them almost every day to show my brother and I the better side of any problem or challenge.  He knew that my brother and I loved our scooters but that we couldn’t do any tricks besides ride them.  So Joey set out on a mission to give us an extraordinary day and also learn more about what we were capable of.  At the time, we did not fully trust him because we were extremely inexperienced with doing any sort of stunts or even a simple tailspin trick. He was determined to at least teach us one trick, but to get us to trust him, he would have to show us he was able to do one himself. He did. He took both of our scooters to the top of our driveway. He took his new leather sandals off, then placed his bare feet on the silver platforms of our scooters. Then, he rode them down the hill with no concept of fear or regret in mind.  He made it all the way down with no scratches or injuries. My brother and I both ran to those scooters as if they were made of candy. We were both screaming for him to teach us his tricks of confidence and his abilities. On this memorable day, my babysitter taught us much more than scooter skills -- he taught us how to use the gifts we are given to impact others. He is so lucky to be born with a great amount of confidence and a great sense of teaching: he is also extremely creative with his little games to entertain us or to prevent us from fighting.  One particular morning, he was exhausted from playing in his band late that night before, so he created a game for us and himself.  He collapsed on the couch and started to snore abnormally and obnoxiously loud so my brother and I went to investigate. We heard him asking for a teddy bear then he rose from the couch at a height of 6’ 7’’ and started towards us with hands out ready to snag a “teddy bear.”  Sadly, I was the victim. He then shook me around like a newly won carnival prize, then took me to the couch with him as he went back to sleep.  This cycled for at least 3 more hours of him “taking” one of us then sleeping again.  He used his ability to entertain my brother and I but also gave a compromise so he could get his rest. These little events show that “superpowers” are within you and there are no useless ones. You have them for a reason, they will be beneficial to either you or someone else.

Everyone has superpowers, even you.  It might be, being able to bore someone to sleep with your stories or your naturally good at sports. But what has gone unnoticed about real superheroes is that they change others lives. Whether they save you, teach you, or enlighten you about your understanding of a concept. For example, Joey created games, started challenges, and even brought new areas of my mind to life. But by taking this time to stop and analyze Joey’s character has changed my definition of a hero. They don’t have to be abnormal, have a birth problem, or even face an extreme trial, yes, that may give them a more interesting life to hear about, but they may not be for a good cause. That's why everyone has an opinion, it shapes their perception of items and trials, and it affects how they process. That is why my definition of a hero is someone who has abilities, special abilities, and they change someone’s perception of their reality for the greater good.