Earvin "Magic" Johnson

by Levy from Lyon, France

Earvin
Earvin

Earvin Johnson, known as Magic Johnson, is one of the greatest players in the history of basketball.

Few players have changed the way their sport is played with their singular skills. Magic Johnson was one of them. He was so great that future generations of basketball fans may wish they had entered the world earlier to see for real instead of on TV screens.

Earvin Johnson was a 5-time NBA champion and won the NBA most valuable player of the finals three times in a row. He is also a member of the legendary squad of the 50 best players in the history of basketball. Magic Johnson is, for me, the most intelligent basketball player ever seen. His passing and dribbling skills for a man who is 6'9'' were outstanding. He was so great that when defenders expected him to pass, he shot. When they expected him to shoot, he passed.

His nickname, « MAGIC », given to him when he was 15 years old, was the best word to describe him. He was like a wizard on the court; he could do anything. Besides all of his great basketball performances, Magic Johnson has always been generous with his time and money. He founded the Magic Johnson foundation for AIDS education. Magic discovered in 1991 that he was contaminated by the HIV virus. He also wrote a book named "What you can do to avoid AIDS". With his big and warm smile, he managed to give a human face to a disease which kills millions of people around the world.

To conclude, Magic (Earvin) Johnson was a great basketball player, probably the best of his time along with the legendary Larry « Legend » Bird, and he is a successful businessman today. He participated in the fight against poverty in the US and AIDS around the world by donating a lot of money to several organizations. On and off the court, Magic Johnson has been a great man and a hero throughout his life.