Jorge Eliecer Gaitan

by Niccolas Luthard from San Deigo , California in United States

I am not a man I am a people and the people are greater than there leaders (Jorge Eliecer Gaitan)

124671Jorge Eliecer Gaitanhttps://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Jorge_Eliecer_Gaitan_(1936).jpgIf you see an act of unnecessary violence what would you do would you walk away? Turn you head, just ignore it or would you do something about it, would you stand up and make sure it never happens again? This is what it was like to live in Colombia in the 1900s. However, one man decided to do something about it. This man was Jorge Eliecer Gaitan. Jorge was born in Cucunubá, Colombia in 1903 where he was in a time full of poverty. Though this did not stop him when he went to college. He is such a big inspiration because he wanted to make a difference no matter the risk. He was a brave leader who put everyone else first before himself.

124696Jorge Eliecer Gaitanhttps://www.biography.com/people/jorge-eli%C3%A9cer-gait%C3%A1n-39091Jorge Eliecer Gaitan was a inspirational leader. He told the people what was really going on in the world of Colombia. On December 5 and 6, 1928 in the town of Ciénaga, Colombia there was a Peaceful protest for Colombian workers to, work six days a week and moderate working hours but the police opened fired on the protesters and many of them lost their lives. Jorge Eliecer Gaitan lead them to make a better decision he also led a string of protests in remembrance of the Banana Massacre. He showed the attributes of a leader, when someone decides to start something new it will be hard like a new club. Organization or business. Now imagine if one had to create a new political party. Rejected by the liberal party Jorge created a brand new party called Unión Nacional Izquierdista Revolucionaria (UNIR) and it grew in massive amount with support. This showed the the key point of being a leader no matter how tough something is you should never give up. Large amount of people saw his great leadership and followed him having many supporters then eventually enough to go into the liberal party. Jorge Eliecer Gaitan was an inspirational leader who no matter how tough something was he continued to work at it and never gave up this are the things that make a great leader.

Jorge was a brave Colombian leader who cared more about the people of Colombia then he did his own life. Imagine where someone had to give a speech or a protest, but the previous protest was shot and killed. Do you think they still would give the speech protest knowing that? Well, Jorge would do it without a second thought. He would make sure the people are heard. Jorge went on a tour to the banana farms in Colombia and giving speeches about the "banana massacre". Though he could be shot for the same thing by the police if given the word. He went to the banana field and put his life on the line without a second thought. This is what it means to be selfless he gave his life for the people of Colombia. Another factor is politics are always a tricky issue there can be may risks involved that include sabotage, political attacks and actual attacks. When Jorge was turned down to enter the liberal party he formed his own party called the Unión Nacional Izquierdista Revolucionaria (UNIR). There could have been terrible events where one of the political debates where one of the opponents may try to shut you out, but Jorge was selfless and everyone loved that. There is also the risk of physical damage like being shot and sadly Jorge Eliecer Gaitan was assassinated on April 9, 1948 Bogota, Colombia. He knew the risks. There were many things that would have made Jorge Eliecer Gaitan a great leader, but the one thing that stood out is to do what is right, no matter the cost.

124697Jorge Eliecer Gaitanhttps://www.primicias24.com/nacionales/maduro-recordo-70-anos-del-asesinato-del-luchador-social-jorge-eliecer-gaitan/Jorge Eliecer Gaitan was a popular Colombian politician who was selfless and an excellent leader. He stood up to the other government officials who gave the order to shoot at a peaceful protest of the banana farms. Who also didn't give their workers any day of the week off and large working hours. He despised this and was a political leader who despite what the other political leaders said or did he made sure that Colombia would have a better future, and he didn't care what happened to him as long as he did what he wanted to do. Jorge Eliecer Gaitan was a Colombian political leader who made sure that whatever he started was what he was going to finish. No matter the risks against himself. He led others to the right path and they helped him with all of his problems. That is why Jorge Eliecer Gaitan was one of the best leaders in Colombia.

“Jorge Eliécer Gaitán.” Biography.com, A&E Networks Television, 2 Apr. 2014, www.biography.com/people/jorge-eliécer-gaitán-39091.

Britannica, The Editors of Encyclopaedia. “Jorge Eliécer Gaitán.” Encyclopædia Britannica, Encyclopædia Britannica, Inc., 2 Apr. 2018, www.britannica.com/biography/Jorge-Eliecer-Gaitan.

“United Fruit Company - Jorge Eliecer Gaitan.” United Fruit Company - Samuel Zemurray, www.unitedfruit.org/gaitan.htm.

"Jorge Eliécer Gaitán." Encyclopedia of World Biography, Gale, 1998. Biography In Context, https://link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/K1631002399/BIC?u=powa9245&sid=BIC&xid=51385533.

"Jorge Eliécer Gaitán." Encyclopedia of World Biography, Gale, 1998. Biography In Context, - More information on Jorge Eliécer Gaitán
Jorge Eliécer Gaitán COLOMBIAN POLITICIAN - More information on Jorge Eliécer Gaitán
Jorge Eliécer Gaitán Biography Mayor (1902–1948) - More information on Jorge Eliécer Gaitán
Jorge Eliecer Gaitan (1898-1948) - More information on Jorge Eliecer Gaitan