J.R.R. Tolkien

by Jordan from Center Valley

The amazingly creative John Ronald Reul Tolkien (J.R.R. Tolkien) is my hero. He is my hero because of the fact he wrote my favorite books!

It's obvious Tolkien was a professor. He wasn't just a professor ... he was a GOOD professor. He was an intelligent man and very respected. I admire him much for that.

Professor Tolkien wrote The Lord of the Rings. In order to create the series he had to create his own creatures. He made the "hobbit." A hobbit is fat and about 4' high. J.R.R. Tolkien also created for his series other imagined creatures such as ringwraiths, elves, and dwarves.

J.R.R. Tolkien got a lot of criticism about his books, such as "Who really cares about a hobbit?" That is another reason I admire him; he was brave.

Professor Tolkien is my hero for many other reasons. I hope everyone will enjoy his books sometime. I also have to say, I hope we can accomplish things greater than our heroes.

On 3/18/2003, Nicola Johnson from London, England,wrote in the MY HERO guest book:

My hero is J.R.R. Tolkien. This remarkable person I am to talk of right now, is no ordinary hero. Unlike many on this site, he has not changed the world as such, he has not cured a nasty disease, and he hasn't even given a penny of his money to charity! This person I am talking about is none other than Mr. J.R.R. Tolkien. He is so special to me and to so many loyal fans.

Imagine this, you just come home from work. You were late-in that morning and got an earful from your boss. You then broke your computer, and had to call an electrician to get it working. He took forever to come, so you missed your bus home. You then get home to find out that America has had a dreadful terroist attack, and thousands of people are dead. Phew what a day so far! So you make yourself tea, and begin to recover from your day. Alas, still no peace! You suddenly spot a flashing headline on the 10 o'clock news... "America at war with Terroism." "Bush to attack Afganistan." "Let's kick Laden's BUTT!" Feeling depressed and ashamed at the world you live in, you are close to tears. All you want to do is just disappear off this planet.

Well, there is a way... You then pick up a book, something your Aunt Joan gave you for Christmas. "The Lord of The Rings," ahh ... don't sound too bad. So you start to read, and suddenly find yourself hooked. You're no longer an average worker sipping cocoa and in your pyjamas. Your an "elven warrior" putting your life on the line for your people and the world. That broken computer, your boss, the war against terrorism, you don't care anymore. All that matters is that Frodo and Sam get to Mordor without being seen. That amount of escapism is no ordinary thing.

The events which Tolkien made happen in Middle Earth resemble and are relative to the events happening today. Sitting in your arm chair observing them puts it all in perspective. But, most importantly, it gives people hope. If two small Hobbits can sneak into Mordor, the capital of evil, and destroy their precious weapon, then why can't two poor, helpless child refugees sneak into England for refuge? Hope is the greatest gift someone can give. On behalf of many people I thank you JRR Tolkien. God Bless you.

J.R.R. Tolkien was an amazing author. He wrote the series the Lord of the Rings, and before that, he wrote the Hobbit, the begining of the Lord of the Rings. His books opened a new world for us; Gondor and Rohan and the Shire. And he created horrifying monsters like Shelob, and the Balrog that attacked the Fellowship in Moria, and the relentless Orcs who lived once in countless dark and damp tunnels in the ground.

J.R.R. Tolkien inspired me to write poetry and stories, fictional and non-fictional about myself or a character that I created. After reading his books I wanted to learn about the ancient times, like the Romans, the Greeks, the Celts and others. I also wanted to learn to ride horses and to take up archery, both of which I am now doing in my spare time.