Kasha Sequoia Slavner

by Asya Rachitsky from Calabasas, California

118248Kasha Slavner is presented with Emerging Artist Award by Trey Carlisle @ 2017 MY HERO International Film FestivalMY HEROYoung Kasha Slavner accepted the Emerging Artist Award at The 2017 MY HERO International Film Festival for her film Sunrise Storyteller with a humble yet powerful gratitude. Her acceptance speech acknowledged the power of a community to raise and support one another. With her mother Marla Slavner, she has formed a partnership in responsible global citizenship. Their documentary work is filled with heart and it is clear they have focused on individuals who are creating change and inspiring the next generation. Their journey around the world in search of hope and inspiration has been woven into a feature film, Sunrise Storyteller. The trailer for the film was submitted to the MY HERO International Film Festival and caught the attention of the MY HERO staff and film festival judges. The film shows Kasha's powerful search for hope and inspiration around the globe. Throughout their travels, the mother-daughter director and producer team reveals the importance of developing and maintaining ongoing relationships with new friends found along the way. 

1182452017 MY HERO International Film Festivalmy heroTaft High School, Jerrilyn Jacobs was present at The 2017 MY HERO International film Festival to receive the Media Arts Educator. The award is given annually to a teacher who challenges students to master media, art and technology with a purpose of telling stories that matter. Jerrilyn asked Kasha and Marla Slavner to share their work with her media students at Taft High School this week.

118235Taft High School Teacher, Jerrilyn Jacobs invited Kasha Slavner to speak to her media arts class.Saint George Thompsonhttps://www.myhero.com/jerrilyn_jacobs_wins_arts_educator_award

Slavner introduced her vision and screened portions of her feature length film. She also held a Q&A session for the students, many of whom wanted to know how they could access the power of media to tell their stories.  (MY HERO is a great place for young story tellers to share their stories and to shine a light on those working to address the critical issues of our time. https://myhero.com/START )

118237Slavner screens portions of her feature documentarySaint George ThompsonOne student asked:  “How did you get a year off school to do this”?

Slavner replied with an encouragement for the students to find their voice starting from where they are.

118240Students are mesmerizedSaint George ThompsonKasha’s mother first said, "no," to the idea of dropping out of school to travel the world and make films about real life heroes but, when Slavner showed her commitment, they embarked on the journey. It took 3 Indiegogo campaigns, a film editing course to build confidence in filmmaking, a personal history of initiating social justice work, and a question her mom asked herself, “Who am I to kill my daughter’s spark? (If I kill it now, it might never come back)” and tenacity, courage and commitment to see them through this project. 

Among many messages that Slavner brought to classroom were:

“Many people don’t have the privileges we in America do, yet they still find the strength each day to do good.” 

Her film featured a man from Africa who stated “I chose to not leave the community that hurt me, I chose to put love back into it,” so he does this every day.

She also showed clips of her interview with Phan Thi Kim Phuc, the nine-year-old girl depicted in the Pulitzer Prize-winning photograph taken during the Vietnam War on June 8, 1972 about what it takes to live a life of peace, happiness, and purpose even after having much her skin burned for life.

Kasha’s good heart shines through each of her actions. The authenticity of her message came through to the Taft High School Media Arts students as she shared with them, “We have the power to change the script, our generation really has the power to shape the future."

The discussions, facilitated by the experienced educator Mrs. Jacobs, led to questions like “How do students in school start on their project?”

Kasha’s answer: “If there is one thing that resonates with you the most, go with that; whether it’s gender, equality, climate change, security… even in your own family, go with that. Personal family stories are very important.”

Upon a tour of the Griffith park observatory with MY HERO staff cameraman and artist, Saint George Thomas Thompson, Kasha asked her mom to take a photo of her near a large dome at the top “I want to show how small I am in comparison” she shared with her mom.

The rest of her LA journey includes an interview with a UCLA professor who works to bring social awareness to popular shows, and a meeting with Warner Brothers.

It has been a gift for this writer to share in her time being in LA.

This small framed yet powerful woman is truly on the path of a good heart. Her ripple effects are beautiful and blessing to be around. 

Towards the end of our time together I asked her “Who is your hero?”

Kasha:  “My mom.”

To contact Kasha or request permission to view her feature length film visit her website https://thesunrisestoryteller.com/

118241Marla, Kasha and Mrs. Jacobs at the Taft Charter High School CampusSaint George Thompson 

The Sunrise Storyteller - a feature film by Kasha Slavner