Katherine Johnson

by Sarika Pasumarthy from San Diego, California

134079Katherine Johnson in 2008https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Katherine_Johnson_in_2008.jpg“[A] hero is someone who rises above his or her fears and limitations to achieve something extraordinary … a hero embodies what we believe in ourselves” (Fleming 1). Here, author James Fleming quotes Danny Fingeroth, a comic book professional, and defines what a hero is in modern society: someone who ignores the limitations set in place and keeps going. He goes on to explain that this definition of a hero applies to most heroic figures, whether they are fictional or not. However, there is a clear distinction between superheroes and our real-world heroes in what they possess. Superheroes are those who have elaborate weapons, or “people who are just plain brave/crazy/lucky” (Fleming 1). If having luck and extravagance define a superhero, then what defines a real-world hero? What must someone possess to be worthy of the devotion we have given superheroes over the past few decades? The heroes who deserve our love and admiration are far from wearing capes or wielding lightning. They are not found in secret lairs, but in homes, not in the heavens, but on the streets. To me, our heroes are people who are willing to persevere through any level of difficulty to help others without running from danger, choosing to wade through the rough waters to carry others to a sunny shore. Heroes do not play up their successes and squeeze fame from every glory, and they remain humble and true to who they are. Not everyone is deserving of the title “hero,” an immense honor, but one woman who deserves this title by exemplifying persistence and humility is Katherine Johnson.

134084Katherine Johnson at work at Langley Laboratoryhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katherine_JohnsonKatherine Coleman Goble Johnson was a woman who faced many highs and lows throughout the course of her life but chose to greet them with persistence and humility. She was born on August 26th, 1918 to Joylette and Joshua Coleman in White Sulphur Springs, West Virginia. From her childhood, Johnson had always been brilliant. She entered college at the age of 13 at West Virginia State University and was one of 3 handpicked black students to be integrated into graduate schools along with white students. Johnson turned down the opportunity to major in mathematics to secure a stable career as a teacher and provide for her family. She taught in Marion and Morgantown, West Virginia, before moving with her husband to Newport News to chase her dreams at the Langley Research Center in 1953. As a mathematician now pursuing her passion, Johnson determined the trajectories for America’s first manned space flight and worked her way up the ranks of NACA (currently NASA). In Johnson’s time, black individuals were seen as inferior and were discriminated against in every aspect of their lives, from separate neighborhoods to separate bathrooms. However, she still became such a well-known name among NASA employees that before embarking on his expedition, astronaut John Glenn demanded she be the one to double check his flight’s calculations. After serving NASA for 33 years, Johnson wrapped up her illustrious career at NASA in 1986. However, her legacy did not stop there, as Johnson received the Presidential Medal of Freedom from former President Barack Obama, and a 2016 film titled “Hidden Figures” was written about her story. To this day, Johnson continues to reach out and empower the youth to join STEM-related fields. Johnson is the embodiment of what a hero must possess. A hero must possess persistence, or continuing to work towards their goals despite encountering numerous obstacles. They also must possess humility, the act of not acting overly proud or self-centered in regards to their accomplishments. Despite the discrimination she faced, Katherine Johnson remained resolute, eventually rising to the top of aeronautical engineering. The persistence she held while striving towards her goals, and the humility she held once she reached her dreams, establish Johnson as an inspirational hero.

Being a woman of color, Katherine Johnson faced opposition, yet she persisted through it, qualifying her as a hero. One instance of Johnson's persistence was when she was banned from participating in briefings due to her race, but she did not let this barrier stop her from working: “I’d ask what had gone on in the briefing--I’d listen and listen, and ask questions. Then, of course, I’d ask why I couldn’t go myself, and eventually they just got tired of answering all my questions and just let me in” (Gale 7). Though she was not allowed to attend the meetings, Johnson did not give up on her dream of being a part of the briefings, repeatedly prompting her bosses without being disheartened by the lack of progress. She persistently fought to reach her goal despite the opposition she met until she achieved her desired result. Most people would have given up and accepted the unjust treatment being given quietly, saying that if they were not let into the meetings, they would not be able to work. However, Johnson refused to quit when met with adversity, and kept going without any sign of frustration, elevating her to the status of a hero. Johnson not only experienced segregation in her professional life, but also was socially isolated from her white coworkers. Johnson was forbidden from sitting with white people in the cafeteria of Langley Laboratory but did not let this obstacle interfere with the work she was doing: “My colleagues and I were committed to the work. We found different ways to deal with the segregation. In the cafeteria, we just ignored the sign [for segregated seating]” (qtd. by Lindsey par. 3-4). Based on the use of the phrase “found different ways,” Johnson worked around the blatant discrimination she faced because she was committed to her job. Johnson’s relaxed tone indicated no signs of resentment, supported by how she simply ignored the segregated seating sign instead of becoming angry. She faced adversity without any form of frustration, showing her willingness to continue to reach her goals. Most people would have not been able to keep working after facing these segregated circumstances and still keep a level head. Johnson’s ability to face adversity with a tranquil attitude and persistence to keep working defines her as a hero. Despite the constant struggles that came in her path, Johnson continued to reach for her dreams in and out of the office. She spread the message that by having persistence in times of hardship when it seemed impossible, it is possible to achieve one’s goals.

Katherine Johnson did not let her success affect her, and remained humble despite her ever-increasing fame, and is therefore heroic. Johnson’s work was crucial to the safe return of the Apollo 13 vehicle and the astronauts aboard, and when asked about her impact, “Johnson told Warren that much of their work at the time was based on hunches…” (Gale 11). By passing her intellect off as luck through the use of the word “hunch,” Johnson downplayed her intelligence. As opposed to the common man, who would jump at the opportunity to describe their intellect and how they contributed to the success of the project, Johnson was humble and did not brag about her intelligence. Heroes do not act for fame or recognition, instead choosing to act for justice and their morals. Johnson does not boast about her intellect in the hope of getting fame, and thus represents the true nature of a hero. Another way in which Johnson demonstrated humility was when she appreciated everyone who had helped her to reach where she was at in life. In an interview, when asked about how she felt about a NASA Research Center being named after her, Johnson replied, “[The center] gives credit to everybody who helped. I didn’t do anything alone but try to go to the root of the question” (qtd. by Lindsey par. 6). By stating that the center gives credit to everybody who helped, Johnson impresses upon the readers that she was far from the only person who developed NASA towards success. Her words conveyed humility because Johnson did not view herself as the reason NASA became successful, even though a building was being built in her honor. If something is being commemorated in one’s name, their instinct would be to assume full credit and use their fame to promote themselves. Their first thought would not be to make sure everyone would be recognized but to strive to ensure their name was better known. Johnson went against this, making sure people knew about everyone who contributed towards space exploration, when she could have easily taken the credit for herself. Johnson’s atypical trait of showing humility demonstrates qualities of a true hero. By ensuring everyone’s role in space exploration was known, and by downplaying her own intelligence, Johnson demonstrates humility. This humility is a key aspect of a hero, as they do not value self-recognition over equality, demonstrating further that Johnson is a hero.

134085Katherine Johnson receiving the Presidential Medal of Freedomhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katherine_JohnsonThe combination of her unwavering persistence and humility, despite the fame suddenly associated with her name, is what makes Katherine Johnson worthy of the title of a hero, and an inspiration to people around the world. Johnson worked hard to follow her dreams, not letting anything become a barrier between her and her successes. She broke down the massive walls of racism and sexism in a field dominated by white males and persisted through adversity. Johnson ignored the disadvantages she faced of being a black woman in a time when minorities were viewed as inferior, and went on to become one of the most important people to help NASA put astronauts into orbit. She did not let her newfound fame get to her head and remained humble, seeing everyone around her as a reason for her success. Johnson displayed a level of persistence and humility that can only be found in those who are heroic. By becoming the best at what she did in a time when she was considered as the worst, Johnson inspires me to believe that the obstacles which I face do not have to define my story, or what I go on to do in my life. This message is powerful for me because I am aspiring to go into a career in computer science. In today’s world, technological industries are considered to be dominated by men, and through Johnson’s story, I have learned that I should not be afraid of the struggles which come with being a female in the computer science field and let anything hinder me from reaching my goal. In my life, I hope to take after Johnson’s example and continue to face my obstacles, even if the choice to quit is tempting, and pursue my love of STEM. An example of this is my active participation in Science Olympiad for the past 5 years, despite the shockingly low number of girls in the program. I will also remember to recognize everyone who has made me who I am and remember those who shaped my personality to what it has become today. James Fleming reminds us of what a hero is: someone who “rises above his or her fears and limitations to achieve something extraordinary.” Johnson rose in a time of hardships and continued to rise until she became the epitome of excellence and heroism for young women today. She made an extraordinary impact on space exploration, changing the industry forever, but it is not this impact for which she is mainly remembered. Johnson will go down in history as a woman who remained steadfast in her dedication to her work, and a woman who was loved by everyone she met. Johnson never forgot who helped her reach her dreams and now, she has become a role model for others to strive to be like in their own lives.

134153Works CitedOriginal Work 

At Langley, Admiration and Gratitude Multiply on Katherine Johnson's 100th birthday - This is another excellent example of how Katherine Johnson remained humble. Her gratitude and careful mentorship's effect on others is also depicted.
NASA Renames Facility After Katherine Johnson of 'Hidden Figures' Fame - This article also gives an example of the magnitude of Johnson's achievements, yet her ability to remain grounded. It also provides an insight into what Katherine Johnson has done lately since the novel "Hidden Figures" was published.