Filmmaker

Katherine Liao: MY HERO Film Festival Finalist

by Naomi Gledhill from MY HERO Staff

“This film shows the power within every single human to do good. We harbor misconceptions that heroes must be iconic historical figures, but we can do more good than we think.” - Katherine Liao 

169681Katherine Liao Katherine Liao, with permission

Katherine Liao, a junior high school student, filmmaker, and activist, is passionate about fighting injustice. She is the director of When the Devil Smoked in Paradise, a short documentary which details a grassroots campaign by residents from Liao’s hometown, Irvine in central Orange County, against All American Asphalt’s large plant in the center of the city, which was emitting dangerous chemicals into the atmosphere. The film is a finalist for the WOJ Youth Reporter Award at the 2024 MY HERO International Film Festival.

Irvine, a large city in Orange County, California, is one of the safest[1] and greenest[2] cities in the United States, making it an ideal neighborhood to live in. In 2018, however, several residents noticed a strong odor in the air; it was being caused by copious amounts of benzene and formaldehyde (chemicals known to cause cancer) being emitted by a large plant owned by All American Asphalt (AAA). After being dismissed and ignored by authorities, a small group of Irvine residents began protesting and staging demonstrations until finally, after years of campaigning, AAA announced the plant’s closure.

Katherine Liao became involved in the campaign against the Irvine AAA plant in 2021 and was inspired by the courage and dedication of the people around her fighting for change. “They all had families and kids,” she explained to MY HERO, “just like the rest of us. Yet, they took courageous actions and sacrificed their time for something that seemed impossible at first. Their resilience and commitment were truly eye-opening for me.”

169681Katherine Liao, with permissionSome of the campaigners, Lesley Tan, Dennis Lo, Kevin Lien, and Kim Konte, pose for a photo.

Having met many of the campaigners at council meetings, protests, and demonstrations, Liao decided to ask if some of them would sit for interviews to document their story. However, gathering information and footage to create When the Devil Smoked in Paradise was not without its challenges. Liao did not hear back from many that she reached out to about participating. Even for those that agreed to be involved, capturing their stories was not always easy. Liao explained to MY HERO:

For my first interview, I practiced asking questions the night before and spent hours adjusting the cameras, background, and lighting—I sincerely hoped everything would go smoothly. But things didn’t go as planned. I messed up because my voice was shaky and my heart was racing. I couldn’t focus on what the interviewee was saying. I just followed my list of questions, asking them one by one, and the conversation felt disjointed.

However, Liao knew that sharing their story was too important to let challenges prevent her from completing the project. “[This film] shows the power within every single human to do good,” she told MY HERO, adding, “We harbor misconceptions that heroes must be iconic historical figures […] [but] we can do more good than we think.” She hopes that the film will inspire others to follow the example set by the campaigners in the film. On why else she was drawn to making the film, Liao explained that she has three hopes for the film:

1. To remind people that there are unsung heroes all around us
  2. To remind those that think they don’t have a voice that what seems impossible is in fact possible
  3. To honor and document the stories of the heroes in her community, who worked tirelessly for years to improve their community

Overcoming the challenges Liao faced in making her film was worth it; she not only got to see her project come together and highlight the work of her community’s heroes but make connections with other people.

The most unforgettable moments were after each interview. Not only did I feel a sense of accomplishment, but the connections I built with the residents were even more valuable. I felt like I was truly part of the community. […] Meeting new people, making connections, and building friendships were the most meaningful parts of the experience, and I’ll never forget that feeling.

169681Katherine Liao, with permissionKatherine Liao (right) interviews campaigner Lesley Tan.

As well as the interviewees, working on the film also gave Katherine the opportunity to connect with her parents. Although the film was a solo project, Liao’s parents stepped in to offer help and advice when she needed it. Her father encouraged Katherine to watch various documentaries that she could draw inspiration from, and her mother sat behind the camera so that Katherine could focus solely on the conversations with the interviewees. The support Liao received from her parents, she told MY HERO, made the project possible. On who her personal hero is, Liao said:

My parents are both mentors and heroes to me. Since I was a child, they’ve taught me how to be a good person.

Liao further explained that her parents instilled three main values in her that have carried her through her life so far: to treat people with kindness, to always try her best, and to always remember how valuable she is. These core values are evident not only in When the Devil Smoked in Paradise, but in other areas of Liao’s life; she is a passionate advocate for women’s rights, reproductive rights in particular, and is a fierce believer in fighting injustice, no matter how big the power behind it. Liao also believes in the importance of promoting peace and was recently involved in a program that connected her with teenagers impacted by the conflict in Ukraine.

When the Devil Smoked in Paradise is Liao’s first film, but she is wasting no time in brainstorming her next.

You can watch When the Devil Smoked in Paradise here.

About the MY HERO International Film Festival:

The My Hero Film Festival is an annual event dedicated to showcasing films that celebrate the power of the human spirit. The festival provides a platform for filmmakers to share inspirational stories of everyday heroes. Thanks to generous sponsors, prizes are awarded to elementary, middle school, high school, college and professionals in a variety of categories including documentary, narrative, music video, animation, experimental, and more.

The festival aims to inspire audiences to recognize the heroism in their own lives and encourage positive actions in their communities. Learn more.

Join us in celebrating 20 years of The MY HERO International Film Festival on November 16, 6pm @ the Ann and Jerry Moss Theater at New Roads School in Santa Monica, California. Find out more HERE.

[1] City of Irvine. Irvine is the Safest City for the 18th Year. [Online] Available https://www.cityofirvine.org/news-media/news-article/irvine-safest-city-18th-year-0. 2023.

[2] Villages of Irvine. Three Reasons Why Irvine is an Exceptional Place to Live. [Online] Available https://www.villagesofirvine.com/irvine-living/living-in-irvine/three-reasons-why-irvine-is-an-exceptional-place-to-live. 2023.