William P. Kinsella

by Adam from Cedar Rapids

William Patrick Kinsella was born in Edmonton, Alberta Canada. He wrote the famous novel, Shoeless Joe, a great book and movie adaptation. The book won a Houghton Mifflin Literary Fellowship Award.

Kinsella says that he always thought of himself as a writer, though he wrote more than 50 stories before getting published. He also worked at various odd jobs, such as running his own pizza restaurant, managing a credit agency, and driving a taxicab.

Kinsella did not begin college until he was in his 30s. He lives in the Pacific North Shore with his wife, Ann. In addition I think it's cool to live in the same state as the Field of Dreams.

William is a hero to me for a few reasons. He showed us all that it doesn't matter who we are or where we live, there are heroes everywhere. In his writing he explained about Shoeless Joe and how the hero was set up in that story. It goes to show Iowa is as good as other places. People are the same everywhere you go.