REPRINTED WITH PERMISSION FROM THE CHRISTIAN SCIENCE MONITOR

Latin American women are shortening the road from farm to table

by Anastasia Moloney and Fabio Teixeira Thomson, Reuters Foundation from BOGOTÁ AND RIO DE JANEIRO

Across Brazil and Latin America women are finding innovative ways to curb inflation and support both organic producers and consumers. Thousands of small-scale farmers in the region are reaping the benefits, an essential link in warding off a global food crisis, experts say.

148645A local Brazilian farmer collects bananas at his plantation damaged by flood waters in Careiro da Varzea, Brazil, May 20, 2022. Climate change and inflation are some of the main challenges farmers across Latin America are facing.Bruno Kelly/Reuters

June 17, 2022

Brazilians are no strangers to bouts of high inflation, but when grocery shopping became a “painful experience,” Priscilla Veras decided to find out what was happening to prices on the journey from farm to supermarket.

Through her former job at a humanitarian aid nonprofit, Ms. Veras got in touch with small-scale farmers across Brazil and elsewhere in Latin America, most of whom blamed middlemen for eating up their modest profits even as consumers paid more.

“And who were the ones suffering most from middlemen? Organic farmers, family farmers,” Ms. Veras told the Thomson Reuters Foundation.

She sensed a business opportunity: If she could bypass the intermediaries who bought goods such as potatoes and onions from producers and transported them to stores, she could benefit both farmers and consumers.

Her idea developed into Muda Meu Mundo, meaning “Change My World” in Portuguese, a startup that connects small-scale family farmers to big supermarket chains in Brazil by handling logistics, transportation, and offering credit and technical assistance to help growers boost output.