LESSON PLAN

LGBTQ+ Pride Month Multimedia Lesson Plan for Middle and High School Students

Pride Month is celebrated each year in June to honor the 1969 Stonewall uprising in Greenwich Village. The purpose of LGBT Pride Month is to recognize the impact LGBTQ+ individuals have had on history locally, nationally, and globally. 

LGBTQ Pride month

The following five films are appropriate for middle and high school students.

MY HERO recommends watching Janet Miller, a film about a teacher at Hoover Middle School who wanted to create a safe learning environment for all students regardless of their sexuality.

After watching the movie, students discuss the benefits of a Gay Straight Alliance and what they can do to ensure their school is accepting and supportive of all members of their community. Share your story with MY HERO.

Janet Miller

Producer: The Working Group

Janet Miller leads her students to stand up for their LGBT peers. (running time 6:48 minutes)

Students watch a film featuring lesbian and gay police officers encouraging LGBT students and Love has No Labels, a short film addressing prejudice and bias about love. Students then consider the discussion questions.

Austin Police Department & LGPOA: It Gets Better

Producer: Steven McCormick/Shawn Northcutt

The Lesbian & Gay Peace Officers Association sends a message to LGBTQ youth that it does get better. (running time 7:22 minutes)

Love Has No Labels

Producer: Prod. The Ad Council / Dir. R/GA

The Love Has No Labels campaign challenges us to open our eyes to our bias and prejudice and work to stop it in ourselves, others and institutions. (running time 3:19 minutes)

Discussion Questions

1. Why was it important for the Austin Police Department to create the film It Gets Better? How can this film offer hope to members of your community?

2. Do you know any activists or organizations who are working to protect and advance LGBT equality? How can you support these heroes? Share their story with MY HERO. 

3. How can you and your school support LGBTQ+ individuals in your community?

Students watch the following two films:  I Have Four Parents about Daniel Roy who has four parents: two moms and two dads. They're not divorced and he is not adopted. His dads are gay and moms are lesbian. The two couples had been friends for many years and then decided to have a child and co-parent. Becoming Oliver is a short film made to visually accompany the original poem "Becoming Oliver"  written by a transgender teen. Both films won awards at the 2021 MY HERO International Film Festival.

I Have Four Parents

Daniel Roy
This video is a magical rendition of the story of my very unique four-parent family. Everything I talk about in the video is true, and these are the answers to the questions I most commonly get asked.

TRANSPARENCY: Becoming Oliver

Tessa Grace Morell
Experimental short film made to visually accompany the original poem "Becoming Oliver" written by Oliver Marino.

In 1978, Harvey Milk was one of the first gay public officials in San Fransisco. His dream was for a better tomorrow filled with hope for equality and a world without hate. It is recommended students read the essay and research Harvey Milk. Discuss how he was influential as an early LGBT activist. Do you know anyone in your community who is a LGBT activist? Consider sharing that story with MY HERO.

Harvey Milk by Marilyn Huerta from California

By: Marilyn Huerta

Harvey Milk was an American politician and first openly gay elected official in California who advocated for gay rights

Harvey Milk

By: Jordan from San Diego

Story written by a student from San Diego.

The Following Film The Mayor of Castro Street: The Triumphs and Tragedies of Harvey Milk Is Recommended for High School Students

The Mayor of Castro Street: The Triumphs and Tragedies of Harvey Milk

Angela Kim

As a gay rights pioneer, Harvey Milk made history being the first openly gay elected official in California and one of the first in the country. (10 min. run time) 

Marsha P. Johnson was an American gay liberation activist who was a prominent figure in the Stonewall Uprising of 1969. After learning about Marcha P. Johnson, research the Stonewall Uprising. Who were some of the others involved? Share their story with MY HERO.

Marsha P. Johnson

By: Robin Venter
Marsha P. Johnson was an American gay liberation activist/advocate for gay rights. Johnson was one of the prominent figures in the Stonewall uprising of 1969

Marsha P. Johnson / Catmose College / Their Stones

By: Ned Evans

Stories about LGBT Heroes

Danica Roem

By: Kathryn Atwood
Danica Roem is the first transgender elected official in the state of Virginia.

Frank Mugisha

By: H. Doerflein from Madison
Frank Mugisha is a Ugandan LGBT advocate who won the Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights Award.

Felix Gonzalez-Torres

By: Robin Venter
Felix Gonzalez-Torres was a Cuban American visual artist whose work reflected the LGBT community and the AIDS epidemic.

Freddie Mercury

By: Camellia from San Diego

Freddie Mercury was the memorable lead singer of the band, Queen.

Helen Zia

By: Hannah from San Diego
Helen Zia is an Asian American journalist, scholar and activist for human rights.

Sasha Fleischman

By: Brian

Sasha Fleischman is an transgender youth in Oakland, California, who was attacked by a stranger on the bus, which sparked a movement of support for Fleischman and others in the local LGBTQ+ community.

Click on the Listen and Read Along icon in the story about Alan Turing so you can hear the audio as you read.

Listen and Read Along icon

Alan Turing

By: Edward Ortiz
Alan Turing was a brilliant British scientist and mathematician who laid the theoretical groundwork for the first computer.

Discussion Questions and Activities Using the Stories 

1. Individually, students use a Graphic Organizer to compare how  two of these heroes are alike, and how are they different. Students can engage in small group discussions comparing these heroes or write a compare/contrast essay. 

2. Where did these heroes find their unique strengths to stay true to themselves? 

3. Discuss how the way society deals with LGBT issues has changed? 

Films honoring LGBTQ+ Heroes and History

Top 10 Important LGBTQ Movements In US History

Produced by:Jaimie Roussos
In honor of Pride month, this film looks at at the most important LGBTQ milestones in US History.

T(he)y

Caroline Callender & Silver Liftin
Each day, different people experience and view the world through entirely different lenses, based on those identities. Often, we forget that this is the case.

The Toothmans

Hansen Bursic
Deb and Jim Toothman and their transgender daughter Cooper Toothman, talk about their struggles with acceptance both within their family and in the community.

Art Selections that Illustrate LGBT Heroes

Gay Activists depicted by EB protest to change our world for the better

By: EB

Marsha P. Johnson

By: Robin Venter

Inspiration by Alex is dedicated her two courageous moms

By: Alex Hunt

Additional MY HERO Multimedia Resources

LGBTQ Heroes and History
LGBT History Month Lesson Plan

Learning Outcomes

Students will learn about the origins of the LGBT movement and evaluate prejudices that existed and exist today towards LGBT individuals. Students will determine ways to continue to make their school and community accepting and supportive of all individuals, regardless of their sexual orientation. Students are encouraged to identify individuals in their community making a positive impact on the LGBT movement.

Laura Nietzer

The LGBT Pride Month  lesson plan was created by MY HERO Teacher and Education Outreach Director Laura Nietzer.

Links

PBS: LGBT Pride Month Resources
Credit: PBS
Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Pride Month (LGBT Pride Month) Library of Congress Resources
Credit: Library of Congress

MY HERO Calendars for use in the Classroom

MY HERO's Teachers Calendar Features Lesson Plans and Multimedia Resources

Teachers Calendar

Learn about a New Hero Every Day of the Year: Use the MY HERO Calendar in the Classroom

Students can share their Hero Essays, Films and Art through our Create Program

Organizer created on 5/7/2019 8:29:28 AM by Laura Nietzer

Last edited 6/26/2023 1:03:42 PM by Laura Nietzer