ORGANIZER

LGBTQ Heroes

Stories, Art and Films

LGBTQ Heroes

Watch these inspiring short films about LGBT acceptance.

The following film, I Have Four Parents, is appropriate for upper elementary, middle and high school students. 

MY HERO recommends watching I Have Four Parents.

Daniel has four parents: two moms and two dads. They're not divorced and he is not adopted. His dads are gay and his moms are lesbian. The two couples had been friends for many years and then decided to have and co-parent a child.

After viewing the film, discuss the different structures of student families in your class.

I Have Four Parents

Daniel Roy
This video is a magical rendition of the story of my very unique four-parent family. Everything I talk about in the video is true, and these are the answers to the questions I most commonly get asked.

The following films are appropriate for middle and high school students.

Austin Police Department & LGPOA: It Gets Better

Producer: Steven McCormick/Shawn Northcutt
The Lesbian & Gay Peace Officers Association sends a message to LGBTQ youth that it does get better.

Why was it important for the Austin Police Department to create the film It Gets Better? How can this film offer hope to members of your community?

MY HERO recommends watching Janet Miller, a film about a teacher at Hoover Middle School who wanted to create a safe learning environment for all students regardless of their sexuality.

After watching the movie, students discuss the benefits of a Gay Straight Alliance and what they can do to ensure their school is accepting and supportive of all members of their community. Share your story with MY HERO.

Janet Miller

Producer: The Working Group

Janet Miller leads her students to stand up for their LGBT peers.

Additional Films honoring LGBTQ+ Heroes and History

Top 10 Important LGBTQ Movements In US History

Produced by:Jaimie Roussos
In honor of Pride month, this film looks at at the most important LGBTQ milestones in US History.

T(he)y

Caroline Callender & Silver Liftin
Each day, different people experience and view the world through entirely different lenses, based on those identities. Often, we forget that this is the case.

From AIDS to Advice: LGBTQ+ Seniors Tell Their Stories

Sophie Kim
Nine LGBTQ+ senior citizens share their experiences, including coming out stories, life during the HIV/AIDS crisis, and advice for LGBTQ+ youth, parents, and allies.

Love Has No Labels

Producer: Prod. The Ad Council / Dir. R/GA
The Love Has No Labels campaign challenges us to open our eyes to our bias and prejudice and work to stop it in ourselves, others and institutions.

TRANSPARENCY: Becoming Oliver

Tessa Grace Morell
Experimental short film made to visually accompany the original poem "Becoming Oliver" written by Oliver Marino.

Interview with Georgia Bridgers (LGBTQ YouTuber)

Kitty Richardson
An interview with Georgia Bridgers, a YouTuber, on how she uses her channel to promote LGBT acceptance.

MY HERO recommends watching this inspiring film, The Toothmans, about a family in West Virginia with a transgender daughter. (PLEASE NOTE that this film should be reviewed before showing students)

Then watch Finding Your Voice where the LGBTQ community share their thoughts.

What is your reaction to the opinions expressed in these films? Do you know anyone who is transgender, or a family with a transgender member? Share their story with MY HERO.

The Toothmans

Hansen Bursic
Deb and Jim Toothman and their transgender daughter Cooper Toothman, talk about their struggles with acceptance both within their family and in the community.

Finding Your Voice

Produced by:Luz Rioja, Carlean Savea, Gabriela Portillo

A look at queer culture in San Francisco. BAYCAT VIDEO

In 1978, Harvey Milk was one of the first gay public officials in San Fransisco. His dream was for a better tomorrow filled with hope for equality and a world without hate. It is recommended students read the essay and research Harvey Milk. Discuss how he was influential as an early LGBT activist. Do you know anyone in your community who is a LGBT activist? Consider sharing that story with MY HERO.

Harvey Milk

By: Jordan from San Diego

Story written by a student from San Diego.

The Mayor of Castro Street: The Triumphs and Tragedies of Harvey Milk

Angela Kim
As a gay rights pioneer, Harvey Milk made history being the first openly gay elected official in California and one of the first in the country.

Harvey Milk by Marilyn Huerta from California

By: Marilyn Huerta

Harvey Milk was an American politician and first openly gay elected official in California who advocated for gay rights

Stories honoring LGBTQ+ Heroes and History

Danica Roem

By: Kathryn Atwood
Danica Roem is the first transgender elected official in the state of Virginia.

Anderson Cooper

By: Chelsea from San Diego
Anderson Cooper is a television reporter and journalist.

Billie Jean King, Fighting for Feminism

By: Ethan Kuei

Ellen Degeneres

By: Mieko from San Diego

Sasha Fleischman

By: Brian
Sasha Fleischman is an agender youth in Oakland, California, who was attacked by a stranger on the bus, which sparked a movement of support for Fleischman and others in the local LGBTQ+ community.

Freddie Mercury

By: Camellia from San Diego

Freddie Mercury was the memorable lead singer of the band, Queen.

Lili Elbe

By: Eren Knudsen
Lili Elbe was one of the first transgender women to receive sex reassignment surgery.

Felix Gonzalez-Torres

By: Robin Venter
Felix Gonzalez-Torres was a Cuban American visual artist whose work reflected the LGBT community and the AIDS epidemic.

Alan Turing

By: Edward Ortiz
Alan Turing was a brilliant scientist and mathematician who laid the theoretical groundwork for the first computer.

Karl Heinrich Ulrichs

By: Maddy from San Diego

Karl Heinrich Ulrichs was the first known activist for gay rights.

Langston Hughes

By: Abbey from Mayfield Hights
Samuel Johnson once said, “Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.” This quote well describes Langston Hughes. Langston was a gay African American man who grew up hearing things like, “Be like them white folks”.

Walt Whitman

By: Austin from Boca Raton

Pyotr IIyich Tchaikovsky

By: Yelda from Lawndale
“The creative process is like music which takes root with extraordinary force and rapidity”

Alvin Ailey

By: Adra from San Diego
Alvin Ailey worked his way from a poor field worker to a famous choreographer.

Rudolph Nureyev

By: Shannon from San Diego
Rudolph Nureyev was a legendary Russian ballet dancer.

Ian McKellen

By: Christyl Tiffany
Ian McKellen is an accomplished English actor and human rights activist.

Laverne Cox

By: Michelle from San Diego
"Cox doesn't want to be seen as an icon or a hero, she just wants to prove that everyone is human and even if they may be different that just makes them special."

Sir Elton John

By: Rachel from San Diego
Sir Elton John is a successful musician who is also a champion of LGBT and AIDS issues.

Oscar Wilde

By: MY HERO Staff
Oscar Wilde was a famous 19th century playwright, epigrammatist, poet, dandy and all around wit.

Art Selections that Illustrate LGBT Heroes

Gay Activists depicted by EB protest to change our world for the better

By: EB

Marsha P. Johnson

By: Robin Venter
Marsha P. Johnson was an American gay liberation activist/advocate for gay rights. Johnson was one of the prominent figures in the Stonewall uprising of 1969

Inspiration by Alex is dedicated her two courageous moms

By: Alex Hunt

Harry Hay (1912 - 2002) by Robert Shetterly, AWTT.org was a prominent American gay rights activist and labor advocate

By: Robert Shetterly

James Baldwin by Robert Shetterly, AWTT.org

By: Robert Shetterly

Organizer created on 3/13/2022 11:30:07 PM by Jeanne Meyers

Last edited 3/17/2022 3:04:29 PM by Laura Nietzer