Louis Zamperini

by Flora Yuan from San Diego, California in United States

"To persevere, I think, is important for everybody. Don't give up, don't give in. There's always an answer to everything."

-Louis Zamperini-

Letting Go

As Maya Angelou once said, “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”  In today’s society, we are often faced with inimical situations that test the true strength of our will and hope.  It is during these times that heroes emerge among us. However, the current generation of people in our society has a somewhat misconstrued idea of what a true hero is.  Our society’s dogmatic idolization of various celebrities and movie stars deceive them to think that any famous person is automatically an inspiration. It seems that today in society, the word hero is used freely and recklessly, coining the term on everyone that we envisage because of their physical appearances or manufactured publicized personalities.  People tend to associate heroism with materialistic or superficial accomplishments. But just because a person is successful or beautiful, does not mean that they should immediately be classified as a hero. A bona fide hero is someone who works hard for the betterment of his own sense of self-approval, not for the recognition of others. A hero should value the intangible life lessons learned over the number of physical attributes received.  A hero should be resilient, proving that deep inside, he is much more powerful than his fears make him out to be. A hero should be able to forgive the imperfections of mankind’s mistakes in order to strive for a better future. Heroes are crucial in our society because their inner spark acts as the light in our dark times and pave the way for what we aspire to do.

130939Louis Zamperini's Picture for the U.S. Army Air Forcehttps://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Louis_Zamperini_(U.S._Army_Air_Forces).jpg#file        One person who demonstrates the nature of a true hero is Louis Zamperini.  Louis Zamperini, also known as Louie, was born in Olean, New York on January 26, 1917, and moved to Torrance, California at the age of two.  He was born to Italian immigrants, Louise Dossi and Anthony Zamperini. As a kid, other kids bullied Zamperini for his Italian identity, resulting in a childhood of smoking, drinking, and running from the police.  In fact, it was not until his brother, Pete, pushed him to channel his energy positively, that a huge change in Zamperini’s motives and lifestyle arose. His once fractious lifestyle had been replaced with a robust one, namely, cross country and track.  Zamperini soon became a household name in Torrance, nicknamed the ‘Torrance Tornado.’ His astonishing speed resulted in him competing in the 1936 Olympics. Sadly, due to his inexperience, he did not win the race, but he did end up with the fastest last lap, a record of 56 seconds.  This motivated Zamperini to train even harder for the 1940 Olympics in Tokyo, the Olympics that would never come. On December 7, 1941, Japan bombed Pearl Harbor, resulting in the cancellation of the Olympics as well as the loss of Zamperini’s dream. Zamperini instead signed up for the Navy Air Force and served in World War II.  Unfortunately, during one of his search and rescue missions, his plane crashed in the middle of the ocean, resulting in a 47-day raft survival with two other men. His luck didn’t get much better, as he was then sent to multiple Prisoner of War (POW) camps, enduring months of endless physical and emotional torment. It was at the POW camps, where Zamperini met Mutsuhiro Watanabe, also known as the Bird, who later became one of the most wanted criminals in Japan.  Many prisoners of war were convinced that the Bird was a sadistic psychopath, remembering him as being the most brutal of all the guards. Watanabe beat the POWs every day, often leaving them unconscious or bleeding out. His cruelty even extended to him tying a sixty-five-year-old POW to a tree and leaving him there for days in the cold winter. Zamperini spent months in an already unsubstantial condition, but the presence of the Bird made it unbearable, especially since he was the Bird’s favorite to abuse.  After Zamperini was finally liberated in 1945, he spent his following years dealing with insomnia, nightmares, and murderous thoughts to kill the Bird. But in the end, Zamperini was once again able to redirect his life and return back to the happy person he once was. Louis Zamperini passed away on July 2, 2014 at the age of 97, but his memory and legacy will live on forever. Throughout his life, Zamperini experienced burdensome hardships that forced him to watch his life light flicker; yet he was able to keep his incentive to survive through the trauma.  On top of that, his emotional strength, such as his sovereignty to go on to forgive those who put him in pain, was how he truly embodied the idealistic nature of a hero. Because of his unbreakable resilience in difficult situations and his power to forgive in order to lead to peaceful ends, Louis Zamperini idealized the desired characteristics of a hero and should be recognized in society as such.

130940Zamperini fixing a hole in the Super Man planehttps://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:ZamperiniAndSuperMan.jpg        Instead of succumbing to the weights of misfortune, Louis Zamperini’s unbreakable resilience allowed him to use survival tactics and find inner strength, in order to reach his full potential and break through.  One example of Zamperini’s survival tactics was his forty-seven-day life raft survival, where instead of focusing on the strenuous situation, he focused on the journey itself: "Louie found that the raft offered an unlikely intellectual refuge. He had never recognized how noisy the civilized world was. Here, drifting in almost total silence, with no scents other than the singed odor of the raft, no flavors on his tongue, nothing moving but the slow procession of shark fins, every vista empty save water and sky, his time unvaried and unbroken, his mind was freed of an encumbrance that civilization had imposed on it. In his head, he could roam anywhere, and he found that his mind was quick and clear, his imagination unfettered and supple. He could stay with a thought for hours, turning it about" (Hillenbrand 236).  His fellow survivor Francis 'Mac' McNamara, who died on the thirty-third day, immediately lost control of his mental state when they first crashed: “But it was good to feel oriented, to know that they were drifting toward land somewhere out there, on the far side of the earth’s tilt.  The bombed had given them something to ground their hope. Mac didn’t join in on the prognostication. He was slipping away” (Hillenbrand 226). The differences between McNamara and Zamperini’s outlook on the situation showed Zamperini’s will to survive. In the face of mortal danger and possible death, Zamperini used his mental strength as a way to keep his mind active.  His dynamic imagination served as a distraction to the imminent struggles he was facing. Zamperini realized that survivorship was more than just an attitude, it was a state of mind. Without that state of mind, he would constantly be distraught over the impending possibility of death. Zamperini’s ability to occupy his mind allowed him to store his ability, so when the time came, he would be able to use his skills to his benefit.  Without the presence of his mental strength, he would have succumbed to his fear of impending doom. However, his artful ability to tranquilize his own mind was what motivated his will to survive. Another instance arose when the Bird punished Zamperini for seeing a doctor without permission, forcing him to hold a heavy beam over his head: “Time ticked on, and still Louie remained in the same position, conscious and yet not, the beam over his head, his eyes on the Bird’s face, enduring long past when his strength should have given out” (Hillenbrand 420-421).  Despite the immobilizing fear he must have been in, Zamperini still found a way to recognize an opportunity. Zamperini recognized that he was in rock-bottom condition, as his life as a POW had taken a serious toll on his health and body (dropping from 155 pounds to less than 80 pounds). In a situation where it was physically impossible for Zamperini to hold the weighty beam up, he did it. He saw the opportunity to prove to the Bird that no matter how hard he tried, he would never capitulate to the pain. Zamperini used his anger as a way to symbolically combat the Bird, proving that his condition may affect his physical strength, but his mental strength would always stay intact.  Because of Zamperini’s enduring resistance and resilience, he was able to push on; he knew that he was already in pain, he was already hurt, but he might as well get a reward from it. Zamperini was an authentic hero because instead of complaining or pitying himself, he found ways to cope with the situations he was in, resulting in his survival and prosperity.

130942Zamperini with his son during a public eventhttps://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Louis_Zamperini_with_his_son_Luke_during_the_Wingman_Day_event.JPG        Zamperini’s power to genuinely forgive those who hurt him is what allowed him to live a peaceful life and remove the hopelessly bound resentment he initially had.  When asked about what he would do if he ever saw the Bird again, many people were astonished to hear what Zamperini said; instead of expecting forgiveness, Zamperini explained that there was no need because he had already forgiven the Bird: “The one who forgives never brings up the past to that person's face.  When you forgive, it's like it never happened. True forgiveness is complete and total” (Zamperini 282). Forgiveness manifested Zamperini’s sense of inner fortitude. Despite no longer being in physical pain caused by the Bird, the emotional strains of his past still affected Zamperini. Many people think that forgiveness is a sign of weakness, as they equate forgiveness with the restitution of everything prior or lack of guts for confrontation.  However, a weak person could never forgive. Forgiveness, in fact, is a sign of strength, as it shows how someone understands that they cannot change the past, but only by letting go of resentment can they be happy and change the future. By doing this, Zamperini dissipated all of his anger and pain, which instead would have brought negative impacts on both himself and the world around. To forgive is an act of heroism because we all have the potential to forgive, we all are physically able to open our mouths and say, “I forgive you.”  Yet, we do not actualize this potential because of our inner turmoil and because of our intransigence. One who forgives must have the open heart and mind to realize the flaws of humanity, and have the capacity to let go. Zamperini also showcased his forgiveness after he traveled back to Japan, where he was able to forgive his captors, feeling as if a weight had been lifted off his shoulders, and all the burdens of the world were now gone: “At that moment, something shifted sweetly inside him. It was forgiveness, beautiful and effortless and complete. For Louie Zamperini, the war was over” (Hillenbrand 536).  Zamperini’s ability to learn how to forgive, even after confronted with scarring experiences, was what finally allowed him to move onto a serene life full of love. The power of forgiveness is something that allows one to turn all their anger and debacles into a newfound sense of freedom. In a time where faith seems torn asunder, forgiveness can help one change the discolored perception of what one thought life had become. When Zamperini was finally able to realize the strength of forgiveness and apply it, he set himself free. Yet, his munificence was not solely for his captors alone. People seem to forget that forgiveness is one’s own power and decision.  Not forgiving means allowing hatred and fury to devour you while using it allows you to let go. He understood how until you forgive yourself, until you forgive others, and until you realize the situation is over, you can never truly move forward. Zamperini did not only forgive for his captors, but he forgave to free himself, which allowed his deepest and most painful wounds to steadily heal. Zamperini’s ability to find forgiveness in himself and see the imminent benefits of it in a situation so traumatizing was what made him truly admirable as a hero.

130943Zamperini as an announcer of 2015 Tournament of Roses Grand Marshalhttps://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Louis_Zamperini_at_announcement_of_2015_Tournament_of_Roses_Grand_Marshal.JPG        Louis Zamperini was a hero because of his indestructible ability to recover and push on, as well as his understanding of the importance of forgiveness.  Although similar to the generic tales of enduring heroes, Zamperini still excelled in this area because of his overwhelming abundance and motivation. He served as an inspiration to society because of his mindset that he only needed to face pain for a little while and that in the end, all of the pain would be worth it.  Zamperini encouraged us to fight through our battles and sail through our storms; he told us that when things do not go right, to simply change our weapons and adjust our sails. He embodied the qualities of forgiveness because he was able to push aside his memories of suffering. And no matter how hard that was, he understood that holding a grudge for the rest of his life would be even harder and would cause him even more pain.  Sometimes, we can’t move forward in life unless we relinquish the pain and transform from a victim to a survivor. Louis Zamperini personally inspired me to do things I never would have dared to before. I was never really the most athletic person in my school, as I didn’t excel in any sports and had an average mile time. Before my knowledge of Zamperini, I could have never imagined myself ever joining a sports team, as it seemed like the most bizarre and incorporeal thing in the world.  But after hearing Zamperini’s story, I decided to let my mind overcome the anxiety ringing in my ears and join the cross-country team. Although I’m no Usain Bolt, my improvement from the beginning of the season to the end of the season is what I’m truly proud of. My running experiences have also taught me to stay strong during times of pain, and forgive myself when I don’t. Louis Zamperini personally inspires me to do things not for the satisfaction or approval of others, but for the improvement of myself.  His ability to forgive inspires me to deeper understand the imperfections of all humans, and the normality of it, allowing me to look past all the hate and anger clouding my eyes, and instead replace it with love. Through all the battles he’d dared to enter and all the ships, or in this case rafts, he’d dared to sail, Louis Zamperini always found a way to overcome them. Sure, his achievements were certainly impressive, but they don’t define him as a person. I don’t admire Louis Zamperini for the medals he won, the battles he joined, or the fame he received.  I admire him for the races he put his heart into, the battles he fought vigorously through, and the humbleness of his nature despite the fame. Zamperini once said, “All I want to tell young people is that you're not going to be anything in life unless you learn to commit to a goal. You have to reach deep within yourself to see if you are willing to make the sacrifices” (Zamperini 288-289). Zamperini’s statistics did not define him. What defined Louis Zamperini was the spark inside of him, his unbroken and magnanimous nature. He never truly let the hardships weigh him down.  He never gave up; he always finished the race. His ability to cope with various situations and his readiness to forgive are both out of the range of a normal human. So, in some way, it is inspiring to see an everyday person have tenacities we aspire to have as well. Zamperini always found a way to let go, both of his pain and of his anger. It inspires us to take after and learn from Zamperini; no matter how difficult the situation and no matter how easy it may seem to give up, he never let his light flicker out of place, and neither should we. Zamperini’s passing does not affect his inner light that still burns among us.  After all, it’s hard, if not impossible, to conceal a light that glistens so vivaciously.

"Louis Zamperini." Encyclopedia of World Biography, vol. 36, Gale, 2016. Biography In Context,

https://link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/K1631010553/BIC?u=powa9245&sid=BIC&xid=be92641e. Accessed 19 Dec. 2018.

Henreid, Paul. “Louis Zamperini Documentary.” YouTube, YouTube, 25 Dec. 2014,

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pj-DDL8RcU.

Hillenbrand, Laura. Unbroken. Bloomsbury, 2017.

Zamperini, Louis, and David Rensin. Devil at My Heels. William Morrow, 2004.

8 Things You May Not Know About Louis Zamperini - Interesting facts about Louis Zamperini that some people might not know. A few facts to better get to know him.
Louis Zamperini: The Man Who Refused To Be Broken - A detailed description of all the events in Zamperini's life. This provides more depth into all the situations Zamperini went through and illustrates truly how unbreakable he was.
'World War II Isn't Over': Talking to Unbroken Veteran Louis Zamperini - An interview with Zamperini, in order to better actualize his feelings during many interesting parts of his life.