Morrie Schwartz

by Drew from Montvale

Morrie Schwartz is not a household name like Martin Luther King Jr. is. But that doesn't mean he's not a hero. He fullfils all of the requiremnets. He's brave, wise, charismatic, and he did what he did for the good of others. But what did he do?

Born to a poor family in New York City, Morrie's mother died very young. His father died when he was ten, but by then he had a nice step mom to look after him. He and his brother had a happy childhood. Morrie grew uup yto be a doctor, than a proffesor. He wasn't a regular proffesor, though.

The classes he taught were not the types of classes most proffesors taught. He taught classes no one thought they would use but did. Classes like eye contact, listening skills. Basically, the things most kids learn in 2nd grade but never use. Well, once Morrie taught it to them again they started using it because of his creative teaching style.

But the most heroic part of Morrie's life wasn't until he was dying. Morrie wrote a book about his experiences in dying. His friend and former student, Mitch Albom, also wrote him a book, tuesdays with Morrie. It was a bestseller for months. He wasn't afraid to die- he thought it was part of life.His motto was, "When you're in bed, you're dead!" He always sat in his chair so as not to be in bed.

Morrie is not a typical hero, but something more. He learned more in his last 2 years than most people do in a lifetime.