Malala Yousafzai

by Lara Hostnik from Ljubljana in Slovenia

Her story began on July 12, 1997. She was born in Pakistan, where female is not the favourite of the 2 genders. Ignoring this fact, her father gave his little girl same chances and opportunities as he would to his son. Since a young age she loved school which might be connected to the fact that her father was a teacher. In 2008 everything changed when Taliban took control of her birth town – Swat Valley. They banned TV, music and girls were not allowed to visit school anymore. Since then she openly spoke about women's rights to learn and study. This sadly made her a target in 2012. A masked man with a gun entered her school bus and shot the left side of her brain. She luckily recovered in hospital in Birmingham, England. After months of surgery and rehabilitation she finally joined her family again and they started a new life in England. She and her father established the Malala Foundation fighting for women's rights to go to school. In 2014 she became the youngest person that was ever awarded Nobel Peace Prize for her work. Currently she is studying Philosophy, Politics and Economics at the University of Oxford. She still works hard for her Malala Fund and travels the world to help as many girls get education as possible.

Malala Fund - Website of Malala´s fund.