Malala Yousafzai

by Avery from Cochrane, Alberta in Canada

"We realize the importance of our voices only when we are silenced."

134193Malala Adjectives Webby AveryI have chosen Malala as my hero because she stood up for educational rights for girls around the world. Malala wrote this book. It is an autobiography. This book contains 230 pages and was published in 2014. This book covers the time from when Malala was ten years old until today. Malala was ten years old when the Taliban group took control of her region of Pakistan.

134499MalalaBy AveryMalala was born and raised in Mingora, Pakistan. Malala has two brothers and two parents. The youngest brother is Atal (9 years), and the oldest is Khusal (14 years). Malala's father was born December 7th, 1969, and was the owner of the Khusal School for Girls. Also Malala's father was the teacher, principal, and janitor of the school. Malala's mother was born July 12th, 1997. Malala went to her father's school and learnt a lot there. Malala and her brothers always played wedding with Malala's best friends, Shazia Ramzan and Kainat Riaz. On October 9th, 2012 Malala got shot in the skull by a Taliban gunman because Malala wanted to get an education. Later, she went to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital for medical treatment of her injuries. Malala's Father always told her that she will be as "free as a bird" and told her that she can do anything she believes in. Malala had a dream to be a doctor. Malala was shot in the skull by a Taliban gunman and will never forget that moment.

134297Malala giving a speechBy AveryMalala fought for educational rights for girls. Malala is meeting this challenge with the help of her encouraging family. She looks up to her father 'cause her father told her to always believe in whatever she would like. Malala is brave because she stood up for education, Malala is loving because she cares about her family and everyone, and Malala is encouraging because she believes in everyone. Malala's biggest challenge was that she was shot and it was hard to recover, but Malala managed to get through it. A funny thing Malala has been through is one time Malala's dad said Malala will be president and Malala's brother will be secretary. Malala has won the Nobel Peace Prize, Shorty Awards for teen heroes, the Simone de Beauvoir prize, the Goodreads Choice Awards Best Memoir & Autobiography, the Philadelphia Liberty Medal, the International Childrens' Peace Prize, Ambassador of Conscience Award, the Ellis Island Medal of Honour, the Glamour Award for Girl Heroes, the United Nations Prize in the Field of Human Rights, the Anna Politkovskaya Award, the Order of the Smile, the National Malala Peace Prize, and the Mother Theresa Awards.

I was very surprised about how many awards Malala has won and how she’s so brave. If I met Malala I would ask if she thought the gunman was going to shoot her, if she knew about the Taliban, and if she was scared. I would want to be Malala’s child because she survived a gunshot and she isn't scared of anything. I loved Malala's book because she explained her life very well. From the book I learned that Malala has two brothers. An experience that Malala has shown me is to stand up for yourself and don't be afraid. I think others would like to read this book if they like autobiography. I’m very happy I chose this book because I’ve learnt a lot from this book. Malala is a very good role model because she reminds you to believe in anything.

Malala Fund - Malala Fund
Malala Facts on Wikipedia - Malala Facts
Malala Nobel Prize - Malala Nobel Prize
Malala Quotes - Malala Quotes
Malala's Family - Malala's Family